Mashed potatoes are always a welcome addition to a meal, but how do you make them? There are so many different methods including the very simple ways of either using a fork or a hand masher. In addition, you can use a ricer, a hand blender or hand mixer.
A hand mixer is a better choice than a hand blender. Hand blenders tend to release too much starch from the potatoes which makes them heavy and a bit like glue. However, with a hand mixer, you can mix in much more liquid and fat without releasing too much starch. You end up with a creamy texture although there can be a few lumps. Still, I always use this method as the potatoes are so tasty.
When using a hand mixer add the butter or cream (if you are being really decadent), at the beginning. By doing this you will find that the fat lubricates the potatoes and stops them from becoming glue-like.
Table of Contents
- 1 Top 5 Hand Mixers for Making Mashed Potato
- 2 VonShef Black 250W Hand Mixer
- 3 KitchenAid KHM72100B 7-Speed Digital Hand Mixer
- 4 Hamilton Beach 6-Speed Electric Hand Mixer
- 5 Cuisineart HM – 90BCS Power Advantage
- 6 Black & Decker MX600T Helix Performance Premium 5-Speed Hand Mixer
- 7 Final Thoughts
- 8 Why Choose a Hand Mixer to Make Mashed Potatoes?
- 9 What to Look For When Buying a Hand Mixer
Top 5 Hand Mixers for Making Mashed Potato
VonShef Black 250W Hand Mixer
This hand mixer has a 250-watt motor so is powerful enough to mash potatoes. It comes with 2 beaters, 2 dough hooks and a balloon whisk. The whisk is perfect for making mashed potatoes creamy and light. The beaters are good for whisking egg whites and for light cake mixtures. The dough hooks can be used to make bread or cookies and heavier cake mixtures.
The mixer has 5-speed settings and a turbo boost button if you need that little bit of extra power. It is best to whisk your potatoes on a lower setting. The speed settings are thumb-operated so you can be mixing with one hand and changing the speed with the other. It’s very easy to use.
It weighs 2.65 pounds and is light enough to use or to transport if you are perhaps going on vacation in an RV.
Added features are a flat end so that you can stand the machine on the workplace without dripping and in addition, the accessories are dishwasher friendly.
- POWERFUL - 250W motor to whisk, mix and knead
- ACCESSORIES - 2x Beaters, 2x Dough Hooks and a Balloon Whisk
- 5 SPEED SETTINGS - Also includes turbo function and ejection button
- LIGHTWEIGHT - Convenient and easy to use due to lightweight nature
- STYLISH - Stylish and sleek hand mixer in a robust silver and black design
I like this hand mixer because it is so easy to use, has a good selection of speeds and has a balloon whisk which will give you light and fluffy mashed potatoes. An added bonus is that it is stylish with a silver and black design.
KitchenAid KHM72100B 7-Speed Digital Hand Mixer
This hand mixer is just 2 pounds in weight so is very lightweight and easy to use. It comes with 2 beaters and a whisk for your mashed potatoes and egg whites. There aren’t any dough hooks so you couldn’t make cookies with this whisk. The accessories can easily be removed with just the touch of a button.
There are 7 speeds so there is a good range to suit your needs. Use speed 1 for mixing chunky ingredients, speed 4 for mashed potatoes and speed 7 for whisking egg whites and making meringues. There is a soft start feature so the speed goes up gradually. This avoids splattering on your worktop.
There is a soft grip handle so it is comfortable to use this hand mixer. You can lock the cord on either side of the machine so you can easily approach what you are mixing from any angle.
- 7 Speeds: Combine ingredients at speed one for slowly stirring in chunky ingredients, speed four for mashing potatoes, speed seven for beating egg whites and whipping meringue.
- Soft Start Feature brings the beaters up to the selected speed gradually to help prevent ingredients from splattering.
- Lock the cord into either the left or right side of the mixer so you can approach ingredients from any angle. The round cord is easy to wipe clean.
- Soft Grip Handle provides comfort while mixing.
- Easily and quickly remove any accessory from the hand mixer with the single-handed press of a button.
I like this hand mixer because it has a good range of speeds enabling you to take on a lot of tasks in your kitchen. The only disadvantage it has is that it doesn’t have dough hooks, but if you aren’t into baking bread and cookies it won’t be a problem.
It is perfectly good for making delicious mashed potatoes as well as cakes, meringues and gravies.
Hamilton Beach 6-Speed Electric Hand Mixer
This hand mixer has 250 watts of power so is capable of making delicious fluffy potatoes. There are 6 speeds including a turbo boost button which will give any speed a burst of energy. Speed 3 is ideal for whisking mashed potatoes.
As well as the whisk which you need for your potatoes, there are 2 beaters so you can make a cake or batter with ease.
An added bonus is that there is a built-in groove on the mixer which allows you to rest it over the bowl. This is much better than letting drips fall on your worktop.
- MIX WITH EASE: With 6 speeds, including the QuickBurst button, you can adjust this kitchen mixer to accommodate any recipe
- EASY TO HANDLE: With 250 watts of peak power hand mixer
- BOWL REST FEATURE: A built in groove lets you rest the hand mixer over the bowl, so drips go where they belong and not all over your countertop
- VERSATILE ATTACHMENTS: The kitchen mixer includes easy to clean set of traditional beaters and whisk
- SNAP ON STORAGE CASE: This hand mixer includes a handy snap on storage case no more lost beaters
I like this mixer not only because it has a whisk for your mashed potatoes, but it comes with a storage case. You can put all the accessories in this and you’ll never lose them again. I would love this as I put all my attachments in a bag.
Cuisineart HM – 90BCS Power Advantage
This is ideal for whipping up mashed potatoes as it has a balloon whisk. In addition, it has 2 beaters to mix up cookie dough and cake ingredients and 2 dough hooks for bread. All of the accessories are dishwasher safe which makes life easier.
The mixer has 9 speeds with an LED display. It has 3 low start speeds which stop the ingredients from splattering. It is always best to increase the speed gradually. Use a medium speed to whisk up your mashed potatoes.
The motor is 220 watts which is sufficient for potatoes and the mixer comes with a 3-year warranty.
- Handheld mixer with 220-watt motor and automatic feedback;BPA Free
- Simple on/off button; 1-touch speed control and 9 speed options
- 3 low start speeds to prevent ingredients from splattering; snap-on clear storage case
- Includes beaters, chef's whisk, dough hooks, spatula, and instruction/recipe book
- Measures approximately 8-1/2 by 3-8/9 by 8-8/9 inches; 3-year limited warranty
This mixer is a good choice for mashed potatoes mainly because of the low start speeds. Potatoes are going to be a little chunky so it’s best to start off slow with them.
Black & Decker MX600T Helix Performance Premium 5-Speed Hand Mixer
This hand whisk has plenty of accessories; 2 beaters, 2 dough hooks and a wire whisk. The whisk is ideal for making creamy mashed potatoes.
It has 5 speeds and a turbo boost for when you need that extra burst of power. However, you will only need a speed of 2 or 3 to whisk together your mashed potatoes.
This appliance has a storage case so you can put all the attachments in this knowing that you’re not going to lose them. The mixer snaps on top of this storage case.
Cleaning is easy with this hand mixer as there is an auto-eject button that releases the attachments. They are all dishwasher safe.
- Helix Beaters – Advanced design maximizes beater overlap for 2X better mixing*
- 2X More Beater Surface Area* – Fast, efficient performance
- Includes – 2 helix beaters, 2 dough hooks, 1 wire whisk, and a Snap-On storage case
- Reinforced Nylon Beaters – Designed for strength and durability
- 5 Speeds + Turbo Boost – Find the right speed for every mixing task
I like this hand mixer because it has plenty of accessories including a whisk which is perfect for your mashed potatoes. In addition, there is a reduced starting speed for each speed so you won’t get splashes from the ingredients.
Hopefully, you will have found a hand mixer among those I’ve chosen that will give you light and fluffy mashed potatoes. Hand mixers are much better than blenders as they don’t release too much starch from the potatoes and don’t leave you with a mash that can seem very much like glue.
Remember that a whisk gives you the best results with mashed potatoes so you should look for a hand mixer that comes with a whisk attachment.
Look for a mixer which is lightweight as it might take a little while to mix your potatoes into the right consistency. You don’t want your arm to ache before you’ve got there.
You will want to find a mixer which has different speed settings because to make mashed potatoes you will want a lower speed setting. If you don’t, the ingredients will splash on your worktop.
Why Choose a Hand Mixer to Make Mashed Potatoes?
I have already said that a hand mixer gives you a creamy texture, but there are a lot of other advantages. It’s so easy to mix mashed potatoes with a hand mixer and a whisk attachment. It’s also great because you can choose the size of bowl you want unlike with a stand mixer.
If you’re making a large amount of mashed potato this is very useful. In this article, we will be looking at what I think are the best hand mixers that can do the job.
What to Look For When Buying a Hand Mixer
Most hand mixers are between 200 – 250 watts, although some are a little less and some a little more. This is more than adequate for making mashed potato. The speed setting of your mixer should be checked to make sure that the lowest speed setting is actually slow. You don’t want splattering all over your worktop.
The weight of the mixer is also important. It may take a little while to get your mashed potatoes creamy and you don’t want a mixer that becomes a lead weight after a couple of minutes. Around 2 pounds without the accessories is the ideal weight.
This might not come to mind immediately, but the spinning direction of the accessories is also important. We beat with a mixer to incorporate air and this can only be done by working against gravity. To do this we need accessories that spin from the inside out.