While cooking and baking using the “handful of this and a dash of that” method works for some people, it’s not always the best way to go, especially when you are trying out new recipes. Getting a kitchen scale is an easy way to solve this problem.
With a good kitchen scale, you can measure anything precisely in a matter of minutes, and it’s much harder for any recipe to go wrong if you do your measurements right. But with so many kitchen scales to choose from, how does one know which one is right?
We’ve tested out some of the most popular models and come up with our Top 5 list to make the choice easier for you. If you are still unsure what to choose after reading our reviews, the buying guide at the end should help you!
Table of Contents
- 1 The Top 5 Kitchen Scales In 2019 Reviewed
- 2 1. Etekcity Food Digital Kitchen Weight Scale
- 3 2. Ozeri ZK14-S Pronto Digital Multifunction Kitchen and Food Scale
- 4 3. Etekcity Digital Kitchen Food Multifunction Kitchen Scale With Removable Bowl
- 5 4. OXO Good Grips Stainless Steel Food Scale with Pull-Out Display
- 6 5. ZERLA Multifunction Digital Kitchen Scale
- 7 How To Choose The Best Kitchen Scale: A Buying Guide
- 8 Types Of Kitchen Scales
- 9 What To Look For In A Kitchen Scale?
- 10 Final Thoughts
The Top 5 Kitchen Scales In 2019 Reviewed
At first sight, one thing becomes clear about the Etekcity Food Digital Kitchen Weight Scale: it is a really good looking, sleek and elegant scale. This is thanks to the stainless steel platform and the really thin profile it has.
The measuring platform (the whole top part) is made of food-grade 304 stainless steel, which means that it is resistant to corrosion, rust, and any kind of damage. It is also quite easy to clean, since it is just a flat metal surface.
At the bottom of the scale, there is a large backlit LCD display that is very easy to read (even without the backlight, which goes out after some time to save battery power). On each side of the display there is a large button.
One activates the tare function while the other lets you switch between different measurement units, or switch to the milk or water liquid volume measurement mode. In terms of units, this scale can display grams, ounces, or pounds and ounces, so you can stick with anything that you are used to.
- Weigh up to 11lb (5kg); Division: 0.01oz/1g
- Bright backlit LCD display for clear readout in oz,lb(oz),g and ml, to support volume measurements
- Convenient auto-zero, tare, and auto-off functions incredibly helpful for accuracy when weighing items individually or in containers
- Digital display kitchen scale with low battery indicator, Stainless steel anti fingerprint technolog
- Meet CE/ROHS certification; 2 AAA batteries included
One should also consider the technical specifications before buying a kitchen scale, of course. The Etekcity Food Digital Kitchen Weight Scale can measure up to 5 kilograms or 11 pounds of weight, and it does so in 1 g / 0.04 oz increments. Just keep in mind that it won’t measure amounts smaller than 3 grams. Finally, this scale is also covered with 1-year free replacement warranty and lifetime support from Etekcity.
The stainless steel platform not only looks beautiful, but it’s also easy to clean
This kitchen scale looks very stylish and has a really thin profile
Measure up to 5 kilograms or 11 pounds
Features a backlit display and low battery indicator
Includes liquid volume measurement modes for milk and water
Doesn’t measure weights lower than 3 grams
If you place a large bowl on the scale, it can make it hard to read the display
- Design 100% 100%
- Durability 100% 100%
- Accuracy 90% 90%
- Easy cleaning 100% 100%
Overall, this is a great kitchen scale equipped with all the standard features you’d expect to find. It looks very nice and sleek and it has a decent capacity. We also loved how easy it is to use.
2. Ozeri ZK14-S Pronto Digital Multifunction Kitchen and Food Scale
The Ozeri ZK14-S Pronto Digital Multifunction Kitchen and Food Scale is another nice, simple, and compact scale. This one features a circular design. The measuring platform is a circle and its diameter is approximately 6 inches.
Not that you can potentially use larger circular bowls on this scale, as the only thing needs to fit on the platform is the bottom of the bowl, plate, or any kind of container you’d like to use. And you can measure large amounts here too, since the capacity of this scale is 5100 grams or 11.23 pounds.
The display and the buttons are placed nicely in front of the measuring platform, so the whole scale is a little over 8 inches long. All in all, it really doesn’t take up a lot of space on the counter!
- Accurate, elegant, easy-to-use digital kitchen scale for your largest and smallest cooking projects - weighs up to 11.24 lbs (5100 grams) with precise graduations of 0.05 oz (1 gram).
- Automatic Unit Button instantly converts between 5 units of measurements (g, lbs, lbs:oz, oz, ml) and displays results on an easy-to-read LCD screen - e.g. easily convert 539 grams to 1.188 pounds to 1 pound 3 ounces to 19.01 ounces to 539 ml.
- Precision Tare Button calculates the net weight of your ingredients by automatically subtracting the weight of any bowl or container.
- Features a newly enlarged weighing platform finished in elegant chrome, and 2 large buttons that generate an audible click confirmation. Cleans and stores easily.
- Runs on 2 AAA batteries (included) that automatically power-off after 2-minutes to preserve battery life, and an easy-access battery compartment (no screwdriver needed). Satisfaction Guaranteed.
With the Ozeri ZK14-S Pronto Digital Multifunction Kitchen and Food Scale, you can easily convert between five different measurement units – grams, pounds, pounds and ounces, ounces, and milliliters. It also includes the infinitely useful tare button.
This scale runs on 2 AAA batteries. Two batteries will last quite a long time, and it’s also quite easy to replace them. The compartment is easy to access without any tools – no need for a screwdriver! The measurements are shown on a nice bright LCD screen that turns off automatically after two minutes without use.
This scale has a capacity of 5100 grams
The screen turns off automatically after two minutes without use to save battery power
1 gram / 0.05 oz graduation
Great value for money
It can be hard to see the display when using larger containers
Not the most precise scale out there
- Design 80% 80%
- Durability 90% 90%
- Accuracy 80% 80%
- Easy cleaning 70% 70%
Probably the best thing about this kitchen scale is how little space it will take up on your counter. It also comes in a range of different colors so you can choose the one that matches with the rest of your kitchen.
3. Etekcity Digital Kitchen Food Multifunction Kitchen Scale With Removable Bowl
The Etekcity Digital Kitchen Food Multifunction Kitchen Scale is not just a simple kitchen scale. Instead, it might become your new favorite helper in the kitchen. Namely, aside from all of the standard functions one would expect to find in a digital kitchen scale, this one also includes a temperature sensor and a timer.
Now, we would not rely on this temperature sensor if we needed to measure exact temperature, but it can indicate when butter is at room temperature and ready to use, for example. We actually love this function for this exact purpose.
- Precise measurement: 11lb/5kg capacity with a division of 0. 1oz/1g. High precision strain gauge sensors that deliver trustworthy results every time; LCD display for clear readout in kg(g), lb. (Oz) and F
- Multifunctional: includes temperature sensor and alarm timer in order to accomplish more tasks with less clutter on the kitchen counter
- Sleek & sturdy: made with stainless steel for a long lifetime. Detachable bowl (2. 15L) for easy mixing and pouring. Sophisticated and modern, fashioned to compliment your kitchen decor
- Clear RESULTS: vivid blue backlit display for clear readability in any light setting with low battery and overload indication
- Easy Tare: features tare and auto-zero functions for easy compatibility with other containers; measure in a mug, plate, or different sized bowl with dependable and hassle-free accuracy; 1 year and lifelong time support from Etekcity
The scale itself is circular in shape and made with a stainless steel finish. It comes with a stainless steel bowl that you can use to measure ingredients, but you can also remove it and use any bowl or container you like. Finally, the Etekcity Digital Kitchen Food Multifunction Kitchen Scale comes with a clear and easy to understand user manual. It uses 2 AAA batteries which are easy to replace.
Includes a temperature sensor and a timer
The stainless steel finish is durable, sleek, and elegant
Measures up to 5 kilograms or 11 pounds
Includes a detachable stainless steel bowl
Since it has a lot of functions, this scale is not as intuitive to use as some other scales
The temperature sensor is not very precise
- Design 100% 100%
- Durability 90% 90%
- Accuracy 80% 80%
- Easy cleaning 100% 100%
We really loved the multifunctionality of this scale. On the other hand, if you don’t need a timer or a temperature sensor, this might not matter to you. However, this scale works great and looks quite nice in any case. The stainless steel removable bowl is also quite a nice feature.
4. OXO Good Grips Stainless Steel Food Scale with Pull-Out Display
Let’s start with the feature that sets this kitchen scale apart from the others – the pull-out display! The pull-out display is just what it says it is 0 you can pull out the whole display unit. It is connected to the scale with a cable, so you can actually pull it quite far away.
This becomes very useful when you want to use large plates or bowls for measuring, as they often conceal the screen on similar scales that don’t have the pull-out feature.
- Accurately weighs large quantities with easy-to-read display
- Measures in U.S. and metric, within 1/8 oz. or 1 g
- Material: Stainless Steel, Plastic
Another thing we really liked is the fact that you can remove the stainless steel top plate on this scale. This makes it much easier to clean. This is also a really flexible kitchen scale. You can easily switch between different measurement units that are displayed on the large screen and easy to read.
The screen also comes with a backlight which you can turn on or off with a simple push of a button. The tare function is also included.
The display unit can be pulled out for better visibility
You can turn the screen backlight on or off
The stainless steel plate can be removed in order to wash it
The thin profile allows for easy storage
The top surface of the scale is not completely flat, it works better for circular than rectangular containers
- Design 100% 100%
- Durability 90% 90%
- Accuracy 90% 90%
- Easy cleaning 100% 100%
Overall, we think the OXO Good Grips Stainless Steel Food Scale with Pull-Out Display is a great choice. It is a bit more expensive than some alternatives, but we think it’s definitely worth the investment.
5. ZERLA Multifunction Digital Kitchen Scale
The ZERLA Multifunction Digital Scale is certainly one good-looking kitchen scale! It comes in white, combined with a metallic control panel. Moreover, ZERLA has really paid attention to details here. The large LCD screen features a back blacklight which lets you clearly see the number without being too bright.
Other than that, this scale has all the standard features one would want to find in a digital kitchen scale. It allows you to see the weight in different units. You can choose between pounds, ounces, grams, and milliliters.
- ※Good properties - Under Eye Pads are enriched with Hydrolyzed Collagen, active marine and herbal extracts, and vitamins in a concentrated treatment essence that penetrates deeply through a hydrogel material into the skin, improving blood circulation and firmness of the eye area for tighter, lighter, rejuvenated eyes.
- ※The multi-function gel eye pads targets dark circles and eye bags, improves wrinkling and moisturizes deeply, strengthens the fragile skin in the eye area and makes it velvety soft. A powerful combination of hyaluronic acid, Hydrolyzed Collagen, Green Alga extract, Witch Hazel extract and gold has a soothing and soothing effect and improves elasticity.
- ※Easy to use - Eye pads for dark circles - Remove the eye pads and, after cleaning your face, apply them to the skin around your bottom eyes. Wait 15 to 20 minutes for complete absorption. Remove the eye pads and gently massage the skin around the eyes.
- ※Safe for all skin types - The eye pads are made of 100% natural ingredients. It is non-comedogenic and contains no para bens, alcohol or dyes. It will not irritate or clog pores and 100% safe for all skin types.
- ※100% Money Back Guarantee - If you are not completely satisfied with our eye pads, just contact us. We will give you a full refund. There are no questions asked. So you can safely buy from us and know that we have covered you!
The capacity of the scale is 11 pounds, just like most of the kitchen scales available on the market today. What sets this scale apart from the others is the fact that it’s really precise – you can measure amounts even as low as 1 or 2 grams. Two AAA batteries are required to power this scale, and you’ll get a set of batteries when you buy it so you can use it right out of the box.
Exceptionally high accuracy with 0.1g / 0.004oz graduation
This scale has a capacity of 5 kilograms or 11 pounds
The black backlight on the LCD screen looks really good
Includes a low battery indicator
Even though this scale is quite accurate, the measurement is not always precise in terms of tenths of the gram
- Design 90% 90%
- Durability 90% 90%
- Accuracy 100% 100%
- Easy cleaning 90% 90%
ZERLA Multifunction Digital Kitchen Scale is compact, easy to use, and precise. It does what it’s supposed to do really well. Definitely a good choice, especially if you like white elements in your kitchen.
How To Choose The Best Kitchen Scale: A Buying Guide
We believe that all five kitchen scales that we have chosen for our Top 5 list are great products. However, there are small differences between them, and which one is best for you depends on your personal needs.
It is a decision only you can make, as you know yourself best as well as what you will be using your kitchen scale for most of the time. To help you make the right decision, we have made this buying guide covering some of the most important points to consider when choosing your new kitchen scale.
Types Of Kitchen Scales
There are three different types of kitchen scales, and scales in general. The difference between these three types is in the way they work. In short, these three types use completely different principles to measure the weight of what you are measuring. So let’s take a look at all of them:
Digital kitchen scales are by far the most common today, and all of the ones in our Top 5 list are digital. There are a couple of reasons for this. First of all, with a digital scale, you can get precise measurements much more easily and quickly than with other types of scales.
Balance and mechanical scales can also be quite precise, but there is much more room for error there. Digital kitchen scales are by far the easiest to use. As they are quite affordable nowadays too, we would say they also give you the best value for your money.
Digital scales operate using something called a strain gauge or a load cell and a small computer that calculates the weight based on it. You really don’t need to know exactly how this works, as the end result is an exact number, usually shown on an LCD screen. Easy-peasy!
The balance scale is the oldest type of scale in the world. A balance scale is exactly what you think it is – two plates suspended on two sides of a central rod. You place the ingredients you want to measure on one side, and weights on the other, looking for a perfect match.
The truth is, balance scales can be perfectly accurate, even for smaller weights, but there is one big problem: it takes a lot of time to measure something, especially with irregular numbers, like 160 grams or something like that. This is why most cooks prefer digital or mechanical scales.
The third and final type of scales is a mechanical scale. Mechanical scales use a spring to measure weight based on the compression/decompression of the spring.
Usually there is a plate mounted on top of the spring, but there are also hanging mechanical scales. Mechanical scales used to be very popular before digital scales became widely available and affordable to home cooks.
There are two problems with mechanical scales, though. First of all, they are not all that precise, especially when it comes to smaller weights. Second, the spring is bound to wear out over time, which leads to the scale becoming increasingly more inaccurate. Therefore, they are not the most durable solution.
What To Look For In A Kitchen Scale?
Before choosing your next kitchen scale, it’s a good idea to already have in mind what exactly you are looking for. As many kitchen scales can look quite similar and have similar features, here is a breakdown of what to look for:
One of the first things you should find out about a kitchen scale is what capacity it has. Most scales made for kitchen use have a capacity of approximately 5 kilograms, which is a good measure.
Simply, it allows you to measure small quantities, while you can also measure something bigger when you need to. No home cook usually needs to go over 5 kilograms, so most likely your needs will be covered with this capacity.
Besides different capacities, kitchen scales can have various degrees of accuracy (often called “graduation”). If the description says “1g graduation”, for example, this means that the scale is able to measure weights in increments of 1gram. Usually, the higher the capacity the less precise the scale will be, but this is not a rule. It really depends on the individual scale.
Are you used to measuring in pounds and ounces or do you use the metric system (grams and kilograms)? No matter which measurement system you are used to, it can be really hard to switch between the two.
Luckily, if you choose the right kitchen scale this will not be a problem. First of all, you could choose a kitchen scale that shows weight only in your preferred units of measurement, but actually most of the kitchen scales today will allow you to switch between the two, which is probably the best option in any case.
The Tare Function
The tare function allows you to measure food in any container you like – such as a bowl, plate, or whatever else you want. What it does is that it subtracts the weight of the container from the total weight, so you can measure only the weight of the ingredients inside.
This is pretty much a standard feature in all digital scales today, but make sure to check if it’s featured on the scale you want to buy. It really does make life so much easier.
Finally, besides the standard features some kitchen scales come with certain extras. Some of them, for example, can measure the volume of certain liquids. Others will come with a removable bowl. This is just a matter of aesthetics, since you can use almost any bowl on most digital kitchen scales. Some scales will even include a temperature sensor (like the Etekcity Digital Kitchen Food Multifunction Kitchen Scale With Removable Bowl).
Ease Of Use And Cleaning
Last but not least, it’s a good idea to consider how easy it is to use the scale you are considering in real life. A nice, large, backlit LCD display is always good, as well as large buttons. You’ll probably use your scale while cooking or baking, so you want everything to be nice and accessible.
How you’ll clean your kitchen scale is also worth considering. A nice flat surface is always easy to clean, and it’s probably a good idea to avoid designs with many nooks and crannies where food can get stuck as this will be very hard to clean afterwards.
A kitchen scale is not only an indispensable tool for cooking and baking, but it’s also an indispensable tool for portion control and meal prep. Many of us probably have an heirloom mechanical or balance scale laying around somewhere, but nowadays it’s probably a better idea to go for a digital scale instead.
They take up much less space and if you choose the right one, they can be very precise and easy to use. We’ve shown you the best of what Amazon has to offer, and we believe you can’t go wrong with either one of these. The choice is up to you now!