Once a staple of food preparation in commercial kitchens, mandoline slicers are now widely available, affordable, and the perfect solution to save time and nerves while cutting fruits and veggies.
However, there is a lot to choose from, and it’s hard to tell a high-quality mandoline slicer from a lousy copy. For this reason, we have tested a variety of mandoline slicers available on the market today and come up with this top 5 list!
Table of Contents
- 1 The 5 Best Mandoline Slicers For Potatoes Reviewed
- 2 Final Thoughts: How To Choose A Mandoline Slicer?
The 5 Best Mandoline Slicers For Potatoes Reviewed
1. OXO 1155700 Good Grips V-Blade Mandoline Slicer
This mandoline slicer boasts a V-shaped blade made of high-quality hardened stainless steel. This is a super sharp and hard blade, so it not only cuts with ease through firm vegetables like potatoes and sweet potatoes, but it can also give you perfect slices of soft veggies and fruits such as tomatoes.
- Versatile slicer cuts produce straight, wavy or julienne
- Sharp, V-shaped blade of hardened stainless steel easily slices both firm vegetables like potatoes and soft fruits like tomatoes
- Straight, wavy and julienne blades conveniently store on board and remove for cleaning
The OXO 1155700 Good Grips V-Blade Mandoline Slicer comes equipped with a straight and wavy blade, plus julienne blades. You can also choose between four slice thickness settings for unlimited flexibility. The body and the food holder are also dishwasher safe, but you’ll want to wash the blades by hand if you want to keep them sharp as long as possible.
2. Benriner Mandoline Jumbo Slicer With Japanese Stainless Steel Blade
Benriner is the name most people will immediately connect with mandoline slicers. The company has been around since the 1940s and they have always been known for making slicers for foods and vegetables. Originally a must-have tool in commercial kitchens, the Bernier Mandoline Slicer has become a must have tool for home cooks and professionals alike.
This Mandoline Jumbo Slicer from Benriner features a simple design, but it’s amazingly functional and performs great for slicing all kinds of fruits and vegetables. The body of the slicer is 13 inches long and 6.5 inches wide which means there is enough space to cut large potatoes and sweet potatoes, but also other large vegetables like aubergines for example.
The slicer also comes with a large open handle, which is comfortable to hold and can also be attached to the large pieces of fruits and veggies horizontally, so you can get nice long slices.
- New and improved model, made in Yamaguchi, Japan where the stainless steel blades are compressed, heat treated and then finished by hand to give them an extra sharp, long lasting bite
- A standard in any professional kitchen, Benriner products are the sharpest mandolin slicers on the market with exceptionally high quality blades reminiscent of Japanese knives
- Wheel adjusts blade for thickness to allow you to achieve your desired slice width from 0.5 mm to 0.8 mm; perfect for potatoes, cucumbers, carrots, apples, onions and more.
- Non-slip foot anchors and hooks secure the slicer on your work surface or on the edge of a bowl for fuss-free slicing - 100% dishwasher safe
The body of this mandoline slicer is made of BPA-free plastic and has a non-slip rubber base that prevents any accidents. The durable handcrafted blade made of Japanese steel.
3. Cuisinart CTG-00-MANG Mandoline
Cuisinart is known for making innovative and functional solutions for your kitchen, and they certainly didn’t disappoint us with this premium mandoline slicer. The Cuisinart CTG-00-MANG Mandoline is 16.4 inches long and 7.5 inches wide, giving you just enough space to slice almost anything.
With this slicer, you’ll get a straight edge/crinkle cut blade, a shredding blade, and two julienne blades – one for fine cut julienne pieces and one or thick cuts, which is perfect for french fries or sweet potato fries. A lever on the side of the slicer allows you to adjust the thickness of the slices to one of the 5 different settings with just a simple move.
- Exclusive cuisinart, patent pending design
- Soft-grip handle and feet and unique holder design
- Safety and storage features for blades
- Food processor blade technology and adjustable slicing width
- Dishwasher safe
What we liked the most is the fact that all of the blades are stored right in the body of the mandoline. There is also a safety guard that flips over and protects the blades when in storage.
Overall, it’s really an amazing mandoline slicer. It’s perfect for potatoes, but it can also do much more!
4. Kyocera Advanced Ceramic Adjustable Mandoline Vegetable Slicer with Handguard
This mandoline slicer from Kyocera is a nice versatile lightweight slicer. The slicer is 10.6 inches long and 3.6 inches wide. It has a comfortable handle on top and built-in notches at the corners that allow you to rest this mandoline slicer on the side of a bowl or plate.
What makes this slicer unique is the ceramic blade Kyocera is using for their slicers. These ceramic blades made in Japan are exceptionally strong and sharp. According to the manufacturer, they can also last 10 times longer than steel blades. There is also a dial that allows you to choose between 4 different thickness settings. Overall, a nice lightweight and functional slicer.
5. OXO 3105300 SteeL Chef’s Mandoline
This mandoline slicer from OXO features 4 different blades (actually two blade inserts with two sides). Thanks to these 4 blades and the possibility to precisely adjust the thickness of the cut, this slier can make straight, crinckle, and waffle cut slices, and also julienne strips in different sizes.
This is especially nice for cutting potatoes and sweet potatoes as you can play around with different cuts of chips, French fries and alike. This mandoline slicer has folding legs, a stable base, and a comfortable handle to hold it while slicing. A food holder is also included.
Final Thoughts: How To Choose A Mandoline Slicer?
So, how do you know which mandoline slicer is right for you? No matter if you want to cut mainly firm veggies like potatoes and sweet potatoes, or get the perfect slices of fruit for decorating a cake, for example, you’ll want a slicer with a high-quality sharp blade.
All of the slicers on our list have good durable blades, and it’s a matter of personal choice whether you opt for a stainless steel one like the Benriner Mandoline Jumbo Slicer With Japanese Stainless Steel Blade or a mandoline slicer with a ceramic blade like the Kyocera Advanced Ceramic Adjustable Mandoline Vegetable Slicer. In any case, we hope this guide has helped you find the next favorite kitchen tool.