Hey! This site is reader-supported and we earn commissions if you purchase products from retailers after clicking on a link from our site.
According to one story, mandoline slicers got their name from the up and down movement you need to perform with your wrist when slicing. Why? Because it resembles the movement of musicians playing the musical instrument called mandolin!
And it’s really as easy as that. Mandolines are simple, they don’t take up too much space, and they make slicing fruits and vegetables so much easier. With a mandoline, you can cut your prep time in half while also impressing your guests with some interesting cuts of fruits and/or veggies.
But how do you choose the right one? This guide is here to help!Invalid table id.
The Top 5 Mandoline Slicers In 2019 Reviewed
1. Kyocera Advanced Ceramic Adjustable Mandoline Vegetable Slicer
Kyocera is a Japanese company and this mandoline slicer really shows off the characteristic Japanese simplicity combined with excellence. This is a very simple mandoline slicer, yet it slices all kinds of fruits and vegetables just as well as any other slicer. It’s a simple, one-piece unit that requires literally no setup.
It’s a handheld mandoline slicer that can rest on top of any bowl or plate thanks to the notches at the bottom. You have to hold it by the handle at the top, but this is actually not a problem at all as the ergonomic handle is super comfortable.
The Kyocera Advanced Ceramic Adjustable Mandoline Vegetable Slicer is 10.6 inches long and 3.6 inches wide, so it’s really quite compact. It’s incredibly lightweight too – it weighs less than four ounces! This is thanks to the ceramic blade Kyocera is using for all their mandolines.
These ceramic blades are made in Japan and they work just as well as stainless steel blades. According to the manufacturer, they can even last 10 times longer than some other blades commonly used in mandoline slicers.
- Precision and Elegance in Every Slice: The art of culinary perfection begins with our Adjustable Ceramic Mandoline Food Slicer. Works just as fast as a vegetable chopper and ensures exceptional quality and beauty in every slice.
- Unmatched Cutting Performance: Our veggie cutter features ultra-sharp, pure, advanced ceramic blades that effortlessly maintain their edge up to 10x longer than traditional steel blades. Our vegetable cutter brings excellence to your kitchen meal prep.
- Vegetable Slicer: The ceramic blade of our vegetable cutter ensures your fruits and vegetables retain their natural color and freshness. Say goodbye to browning and embrace the pure essence of your ingredients with our exceptional kitchen gadgets.
- Essential Kitchen Accessories: Effortlessly achieve smooth and even slices with the adjustable dial of the mandoline food slicer, offering four cut thicknesses (0.5mm, 1.3mm, 2.0mm, and 3.0mm). From paper-thin to thick, unleash your culinary artistry!
- Meal Prep Made Easy: The vegetable slicer features corner notches that securely hold over your meal prep container. Slice with ease and security using the included handguard with our vegetable cutter.
Finally, the Kyocera Advanced Ceramic Adjustable Mandoline Vegetable Slicer also offers quite a bit of flexibility. You can choose between 4 different thickness settings for your slices: 0.5mm, 1.3 mm, 2.0 mm, and 3.0 mm. All you need to do is turn the dial built into the slicers.
This slicer from Kyocera does not come equipped with julienne blades and it’s not able to make wavy slices, but if you are looking for a simple, lightweight solution that gives you perfect results every time, it is definitely the way to go!
This is probably the lightest high-quality mandoline slicer you can find
The ceramic blade is sharp and extremely durable
This mandoline slicer is very compact and requires no setup before use
Doesn’t include a wavy or julienne blade
Doesn’t include a handguard
- Design 100% 100%
- Durability 90% 90%
- Performance 60% 60%
- Easy cleaning 80% 80%
- Weight 100% 100%
It all comes down to what you are looking for. If you want a handheld slicer that is super lightweight and does its job really well – the Kyocera Advanced Ceramic Adjustable Mandoline Vegetable Slicer is what you need.
On the other hand, if you want to do waffle cuts and julienne strips too, it would be better to look at some of the other mandoline slicers on our list.
2. OXO 1155700 Good Grips V-Blade Mandoline Slicer
This mandoline slicer from OXO is really equipped with everything you might expect to find in a mandoline. First of all, it boasts a V-shaped blade made of high-quality hardened stainless steel.
Besides the straight blade that no mandoline slicer can go without, the OXO 1155700 Good Grips V-Blade Mandoline Slicer also includes a wavy blade and two julienne blades in different sizes. Opt for the small one for fine julienne strips, or use the larger julienne blades for perfectly cut French fries.
Besides the fact that it lets you choose between 4 different blades, the OXO 1155700 Good Grips V-Blade Mandoline Slicer also gives you a choice between 4 thickness settings (whichever blade you are using)
- Sharp, V-shaped blade of hardened stainless steel easily slices both firm vegetables like potatoes and soft fruits like tomatoes with four easily adjustable slice thickness settings: 1.5mm, 3mm, 4.5mm and 6mm
- Straight and wavy blades for straight or crinkle cuts, and julienne blades for French Fries or fine julienne strips
- Food holder securely holds food and protects fingers, and textured runway keeps food from sticking
- Mandoline locks closed and feet fold in for safe and compact storage
- Soft handle and turning knob for comfort and non-slip feet for safety
It includes a food holder too, and it has been designed to be comfortable and safe. The soft handle on the top makes using this slicer super comfortable, while the non-slip feet make sure it doesn’t move around on the counter, thus causing accidents. The body of this mandoline is dishwasher safe, as well as the food holder, but the blades should not be put in the dishwasher to preserve their longevity.
The high-quality stainless steel blade is perfect for both hard and soft fruits and veggies
Includes straight, wavy, and julienne blades in two sizes
4 different thickness settings give you all the flexibility you need
Stable and comfortable to use
The storage area for the blades that are not in use is underneath the slicer. When using the mandoline, the extra blades will get dirty if left in the storage area. You can either remove them when using the mandoline or wash all of the blades each time.
- Design 80% 80%
- Durability 90% 90%
- Performance 100% 100%
- Easy cleaning 80% 80%
- Weight 80% 80%
This is a classic freestanding mandoline slicer that lets you do different types of cuts, including wavy cuts, julienne strips, and French fries. It’s also remarkably comfortable to use.
Overall, a good, classic choice.
3. Progressive International PL8-1000 PL8 Mandoline Slicer
This mandoline slicer from progressive international features the best design we have seen in mandoline slicers so far. This mandoline is capable of doing straight slices, julienne strips, french fries, and waffle cuts, all of this without ever needing to change any parts.
Here is how it works: A dial on the side lets you choose your thickness – ranging from paper-thin 1.0mm slices up to 7.5mm slices. Near this dial there is another knob, that allows you to switch between straight slices, julienne strips, and French fries settings. Finally, with a third knob, you can turn the blade around, and discover the waffle cut blade underneath the straight blade.
- SUPERIOR QUALITY: Strength, simplicity and safety inspired the design of our Professional Mandoline. From delicious gratins to delicate julienned carrots, our Professional Mandoline is a necessity in the kitchen
- DIAL-STYLE SETTINGS: Advanced adjustable knob provides manual Settings; Slice in Paper Thin 1.0mm or Thick Cuts up to 7.5mm, With a quick turn of the wrist, you can create thick and thin waffle cuts sure to impress any guest
- WIDE STAINLESS-STEEL SLICING DECK: Extra-wide, stainless steel slicing deck allows food to glide easily when secured with the safety hand guard
- MULTIFUNCTIONAL: Integrated blades slice even the most delicate fruits and vegetables with precision
- NON-SKID FEET FOR SAFETY: The non-skid feet on this mandoline fold in for compact storage and it is dishwasher safe for your convenience
There is another thing that makes the Progressive International PL8-1000 PL8 Mandoline Slicer stand out among the competition – the slicing deck is made completely out of stainless steel. This choice of material does not only make this mandoline slicer more durable, but it also lets the food glide more easily when you slice.
Overall, it’s really an amazing mandoline slicer and one of the most durable.
All the parts are contained within the mandoline, no need to deal with additional removable blades
The stainless steel slicing deck is corrosion-resistant and more durable than plastic alternatives
All of the parts are dishwasher safe
Some users have noted that it can be a little hard to make waffle cuts with firm vegetables like beets, but this is most likely the case with every mandoline slicer out there.
- Design 100% 100%
- Durability 100% 100%
- Performance 90% 90%
- Easy cleaning 90% 90%
- Weight 70% 70%
The PL8-1000 PL8 Mandoline Slicer by Progressive International is really an exceptional mandoline. It’s amazingly flexible, letting you do all kinds of cuts without removing or adding any parts or extra blades, and the whole thing is dishwasher safe.
It certainly checks all the boxes in our book!
4. KitchenAid KC312OHOBA Adjustable Hand-Held V-Blade Mandoline Slicer
The KitchenAid KC312OHOBA Adjustable Hand-Held V-Blade Mandoline Slicer is another simple and functional mandoline slicer, perfect for situations when you need things done quickly and want to cut down on prep time.
It features a V-shaped blade made of food-grade stainless steel and a runway with little ridges that guide the veggies the right way while you are slicing. It also includes a handguard that is large and comfortable to hold.
- TIME SAVING FOOD SLICER: This adjustable mandoline V slicer will cut your prep time in half by cutting through potatoes, onions, cheese and vegetables. Save your prep time, make dishes simple and fun. It's a perfect gift for Moms, Chefs and those who keeps a healthy concept
- SUPER SHARP BLADE: The blade is made from high quality, durable stainless steel and comes with a plastic hand guard for safe storage when not in use; the mandoline slicer is made from strong, BPA FREE plastic
- 4 SLICING THICKNESSES: The table under the blade adjusts for variable slicing thickness levels; 1/32 inch, 1/16 inch, 3/16 inch, and 1/4 inch; this professional kitchen slicing tool will let you cut your vegetables to perfection effortlessly
- COMFORTABLE HANDLE: The soft comfortable grip on the guide ensures control and safety when slicing; dishwasher safe for easy and quick clean up
- LIFETIME LIMITED WARRANTY INCLUDED: These slicer comes with a 1 year hassle free replacement and Lifetime Limited Warranty
This is a handheld slicer which means that you need to hold it by the long handle at the top. The handle is quite comfortable, though, and gives you a really secure grip. While you can only do simple, straight slices with this mandoline, it does give you the option to choose between 4 different thickness settings.
It also has a thin profile so it can be easily stored away in a drawer or kitchen cabinet.
Finally, KitchenAid offers a 1-year “hassle-free replacement” policy for this mandoline slicer, and it’s covered by a lifetime limited warranty after that.
The stainless steel V-shaped blade is very sharp
Made from heavy-duty, BPA-free plastic
This mandoline slicer is quite heavy, considering the size and shape, although it’s not hard to manage the weight
The handguard does protect your hands well, but doesn’t keep the vegetables in place very well
- Design 100% 100%
- Durability 80% 80%
- Performance 90% 90%
- Easy cleaning 60% 60%
- Weight 60% 60%
The KitchenAid KC312OHOBA Adjustable Hand-Held V-Blade Mandoline Slicer is a good choice for those looking for a simple and effective slicer.
It can be pulled out of a drawer and used immediately without any setup. However, it does not offer as many options as some other mandoline slicers.
5. Swissmar Borner V-7000 V Power Mandoline
This mandoline slicer form Swissmar Borner was made in Germany from high quality materials which result in a sturdy and durable construction. Even though the slicer is made of plastic (except the blade, of course), the material used for the frame is very tough ABS plastic, so you can rest assured that this slicer won’t accidentally break and will last for a long time.
Moreover, the fact that it is made of plastic also means you can choose the color of your mandoline slicer for a splash of color in your kitchen! Swissmar Borner V-7000 V Power Mandoline is available in white, green, red, and orange.
The overall design of this mandoline slicer is also very nice. It is a handheld slicer, equipped with a comfortable horizontal handle at the top and non-slip rubber feet at the bottom. You can place it on a flat surface, such as your kitchen counter or a cutting board, but you can also place it over a bowl or plate thanks to the notches at the bottom of the slicer.
The V-7000 mandoline comes with a straight blade, a julienne blade, and a larger version of the julienne for French fries. You can also use the julienne inserts in combination with the straight blade to make cubes.
- Made in Germany; Set includes: Tough ABS plastic frame with slip resistant rubber feet, Food Safety Holder, 3 inserts (7 mm and 3-1/2 mm blades, thick/thin plane slice insert) Blade insert holder
- Incredibly sharp surgical grade stainless steel blades; 3 inserts-10 different cuts; Blades slice 4 different thicknesses, julienne, shred, cube and create fantastic French fries
- Patented push button size/thickness adjustment will modify cuts without removing the insert; Blades cut from both angles; Plane insert has "0" safety position covering the V -blade when not in use
- Ambidextrous Food Safety Holder provides complete protection and control; It's easy to use and requires very little pressure; Prongs hold food securely while the guard protects hands from the blades
- Insert holder protects blades while not in use, also functions as a drying rack; Blade insert holder and food safety holder clip together for easy storage; Instruction manual included
This mandoline slicer also includes a food holder. It is very comfortable, and made to work equally well for left-handed and right-handed people. If you are left-handed, you probably know the difficulties that kitchen utensils made for right-handed people can sometimes cause.
There is also a holder included for the two inserts that doubles as a drying rack. Finally, the inserts (paced in the insert holder), the food holder, and the mandoline all clip together for neat storage.
The tough ABS plastic body of this mandoline and the stainless steel blades are amazingly durable
This mandoline can make slices, julienne strips, French fries, and even cubes
All of the parts clip together for easy storage
You can easily adjust the thickness of the slices with just a push of a button
Not dishwasher safe
You can’t make crinkle cuts or waffle cuts with this slicer
- Design 90% 90%
- Durability 90% 90%
- Performance 100% 100%
- Easy cleaning 70% 70%
- Weight 70% 70%
The Swissmar Borner V-7000 V Power Mandoline is a tough mandoline slicer that can easily last for years. The quality construction is combined with clever design to make this mandoline amazingly versatile and easy to use.
It is even capable of making cubes, which is not a common feature in mandoline slicers. The only downside is that it’s not dishwasher safe, but it is quite easy to wash all of the parts by hand.
Definitely worth the investment.
What Is A Mandoline Slicer?
What exactly is a mandoline slicer? Well, it’s basically a (usually rectangular) tool that allows you to slice fruits and vegetables much thinner and much faster than with a knife from your knife set.. Once a staple of food preparation in commercial kitchens, mandoline slicers have become an indispensable tool for any kitchen. They are now widely available, affordable, and the perfect solution to save time and nerves while cutting fruits and veggies.
Why You Should Use A Mandoline Slicer
Why use a mandoline slicer? Maybe a better question would be why not to use one. Slicing fruits and vegetables uniformly with a knife requires advanced knife skills and a lot of practice, not too mentioned that it can be quite dangerous when you try to do it quickly.
With a mandoline slicer, the whole process is much faster and safer (especially if it includes a food holder). Moreover, most mandoline slicers available today can also make julienne strips which is almost impossible to do with a knife and even if you tried, it would take forever!
How Do I Clean My Mandoline Slicer?
Cleaning your mandoline slicer after every use is very important. This way, you keep your slicer in the best possible shape and also eliminate potential sources of food contamination. Before you wash your mandoline slicer for the first time, it is a good idea to check the instructions provided by the manufacturer.
Some mandoline slicers can be washed in the dishwasher, in some cases you can wash only some parts, and sometimes it’s not recommended to place any part of your mandoline in the dishwasher. In any case, if you are using a dishwasher, make sure to place the mandoline on the top rack.
Even though using a dishwasher is easier than washing by hand, it is actually always better to wash the blades by hand in order to keep them sharp. Warm water and some mild dish soap is all you need.
In most cases, it will be enough to simply wipe your mandoline with a dishcloth dipped into a mixture of warm water and soap, then simply rinse the soap off. Don’t soak the blades in soapy water for long periods of time as this might damage them.
How Do I Use A Mandoline Slicer?
Using a mandoline slicer is actually quite simple, although it can seem a little bit scary at first if you have never used one before. What you need to do is basically follow the same process as if you were cutting your fruits or vegetables with a knife. First of all, make sure to wash the produce thoroughly before doing anything else.
All fruits and vegetables should be washed before peeling them to avoid contamination. Once you have washed your desired ingredients, proceed to peel them if it’s necessary or desired. If you are dealing with extremely large vegetables, such as beets or sweet potatoes, you might want to cut them in half so they would fit onto the runway of the mandoline slicer. You might also want to cut tall vegetables like zucchini or aubergine in half for better control.
When you are ready, set up the mandoline on a clean flat surface. Alternatively, if you are using a handheld mandoline, you can also slice over a plate, bowl, or any kind of container of your choice. Attach the handguard to the piece you want to slice and you are ready to start. If your mandoline slicer didn’t come with a handguard you might want to consider using a cut-resistant glove to prevent any accidents.
Mandoline Slicer vs Spiralizer
Spiralizers and mandoline slicers have a similar function – they are there to cut vegetables. When we think about a spiralizer, zucchini noodles are usually the first thing that comes to mind, but spiralizers can usually also cut your vegetables into slices, just like a mandoline.
On the other hand, mandoline slicers that have the julienne feature can also create thin, noodle-like strips from your vegetables. The only difference is that those made with a spiralizer are longer. There is one important difference, though: spiralizers take up much more space than most mandoline slicers.
Different Types of Mandolines
Single-Blade vs. Multi-Blade Mandolines
If all you want from your mandoline are flat slices, it’s probably a good idea to opt for a single-blade mandoline like the Kyocera Advanced Ceramic Adjustable Mandoline Vegetable Slicer. For those looking for more variety in slicing functions, multi-blade mandolines are usually the way to go. With multiple blades, you get the possibility to make waffle cuts, julienne strips, and a variety of different options, but there are also usually more parts to deal with.
Handheld vs. Freestanding Mandolines
The choice between handheld and freestanding mandoline is a matter of personal preference. Handheld and freestanding mandolines are not all that different. Obviously, you need to hold your handheld slicer while you are slicing, but you also get the option to place it over a container and have the slices fall inside.
Freestanding mandolines usually have foldable legs on one side that allow the slicer to stand on its own. What this means is that freestanding mandolines require some setup time, but it shouldn’t take more than a minute.
Tips For Using Your Mandoline
- Use your dominant hand for slicing and the other hand for holding the mandoline
- If the mandoline you hove didn’t come with a hand guard, consider using a cut-resistant glove
- Waffle cuts and crinkle cuts will always require a bit more pressure than flat slices
- Always wash your mandoline slicer immediately after use for best results
- Washing the mandoline by hand will keep the blades sharp for a longer period of time
So, how do you know which mandoline slicer is right for you? No matter what you plan to use your mandoline for, you’ll want a slicer with a high-quality sharp blade.
All of the slicers on our list have good durable blades, and it’s a matter of personal choice whether you opt for one with a stainless steel blade like the Swissmar Borner V-7000 V Power Mandoline or choose a ceramic alternative.