If you have kids at home, chances are that you spend a considerable amount of your hard-earned money on candy. Kids (as well as adults) of all ages welcome these sweet treats at any time of the day. There is, however, a way to save your cash by avoiding store-bought candy by making your own candy at home!
An added perk of making your own candy is that since you are the one making it, you can use the best and the freshest ingredients possible to safeguard the health of your loved ones. I am someone who prefers giving and getting thoughtful homemade gifts more than expensive store-bought ones since it shows how much love and effort went into the item.
Homemade candy is one of those gift items that can be a great addition to any goody bag for almost every occasion.
You probably already have all the ingredients and utensils needed to make the perfect batch of sugary treats in your kitchen. If you are looking to follow a simple candy recipe, you will not need fancy equipment such as a candy thermometer but what you will definitely need is a good pan.
Melting the sugar at an even and consistent temperature is extremely important when making candy. If there are hot spots in your pan, it can cause the caramel to burn and ruin your candy making escapades.
So, your candy making pan should be made of a good heat conductor such as aluminum. Your pan also needs to have a non-stick surface so it’s easier for you to transfer your candy mixture into the setting tray. A non-stick or stainless-steel pan with an aluminum core would be the best pan for making candy.
If you don’t have a dedicated candy making pan that suits all your requirements, check out my top picks below.
Table of Contents
- 1 Cooks Standard Hard Anodized Non-stick Saucepan
- 2 Secura Duxtop Whole-Clad Tri-Ply Stainless Steel Premium Cookware with Lid
- 3 Cooks Standard Multi-Ply Clad Stainless-Steel Saucepan
- 4 Neoflam Retro Ceramic Nonstick Saucepan
- 5 Final Thoughts
- 6 Best Calphalon Pan for Candy Making
- 7 Top 3 Calphalon Pans for Candy Making
Cooks Standard Hard Anodized Non-stick Saucepan
This beautiful hard anodized non-stick saucepan by Cooks Standard comes in 1-quart, 2-quart and 3-quart sizes so you can choose the one that’s best for you. The hard-anodized surface is durable and scratch resistant and provides quick and even heat-up.
It’s perfect for making candy because the construction eliminates hotspots and gives your candy the perfect consistency without burning it.
The inside surface of the saucepan is non-stick which makes it easy for you to transfer your candy from the pan to the tray by providing easy food release. It’s also easy to clean, however, it is not safe to pop in the dishwasher.
The saucepan comes with a tempered glass lid that can be used to view food. Although this option really isn’t required for most candy recipes, it is a helpful feature that can help you make use of this saucepan when making other items besides candy.
The riveted handle stays cool to the touch when heating up the candy at high temperatures and provides a comfortable grip. Although this saucepan is not compatible with induction stoves, you can use it on a gas, electric, glass, ceramic or halogen stovetop.
The saucepan is safe to use in the oven up to 450 degrees Fahrenheit without the lid.
- Has a hard anodized surface that is durable, heats evenly, and prevents hot spots
- Nonstick performance for easy food release/cleaning and allows for healthy cooking
- Tempered glass lid to view food; Riveted handles stay cool and are comfortable
- Not Induction compatible; Works on gas, electric, glass, ceramic, halogen, etc.
- Oven safe to 450F, except lid. Hand wash recommended, not dishwasher safe
Secura Duxtop Whole-Clad Tri-Ply Stainless Steel Premium Cookware with Lid
This Secura Duxtop saucepan comes in a variety of sizes ranging from 1.6-quarts going up to 8-quarts. It is made of magnetic stainless-steel with an aluminum core which not only makes it great for candy making that requires precise temperature control, but also makes it suitable for induction stovetops. In addition to induction stoves, you can use it on a gas, electric and halogen stovetops.
The three-ply construction ensures that the interior aluminum core of the pan is encapsulated completely by the stainless steel making it a safe and healthy option for your kitchen. The straight-sided design makes it a good choice for making candy.
It comes with a drip-free pouring design which is great because who wants to drip hot candy mixture onto the countertop?
The stainless-steel handles are riveted to the pan that give a secure grip and stays cool to the touch when on the stove. It comes with a stainless-steel lid with a handle that helps keep in heat and moisture.
The saucepan is safe to use in the dishwasher and oven, as long as the highest temperature it is exposed to does not exceed 550 degrees Fahrenheit. It’s safe to pop in the freezer so it can be used for food storage and comes with a limited lifetime warranty from the manufacturer.
- HIGH QUALITY MATERIAL: This 1.6 quart saucepan is manufactured with whole-clad tri-ply stainless steel—ensuring even heating and eliminating hot spots.
- FEATURES: The stainless steel pot with lid features a classic straight-sided and drip-free pouring design. Riveted to the pot is a stay-cool stainless-steel perfect-grip handle, allowing for comfortable handling during cooking. The stainless-steel sauce pan features a loop handle for easy carrying and pouring.
- STAINLESS STEEL LID: The stainless-steel lid with loop handle helps retain heat and moisture for more flavorful results—every time you cook. The stainless steel lid is used by most professional chefs in commercial kitchens.
- IDEAL CHOICE: This Duxtop cooking pot is suitable for induction, gas, electric and halogen cooktops—perfect for even the most seasoned cooks. You could use it as milk pot, noodle pot, soup pot, etc.
- GUARANTEE: Dishwasher-safe. The saucepan is oven-safe to 500°F. Freezer-safe for food storage. Lifetime limited warranty.
Cooks Standard Multi-Ply Clad Stainless-Steel Saucepan
This sleek saucepan by Cooks Standard comes in two different sizes; the 1.5-quart variant and the 3-quart variant. It is made with an 18/10 stainless-steel interior as well as exterior and comes with an aluminum core that gives quick and even heat-up.
The stainless-steel gives it durability whereas the aluminum makes it good for making candy. The riveted handles stay cool and comfortable whilst cooking.
It comes with a stainless-steel lid that helps trap heat and moisture so if you decide to use it for anything other than candy making, you can take advantage of this feature. You can use it to deep fry fritters or use it to double boil some chocolate.
- Multi-ply clad with 18/10 stainless steel interior and exterior with an aluminum core
- Has the toughness of stainless steel with the even heat distribution of aluminum
- Stainless steel lid traps in heat/moisture; Riveted handles stay cool and comfortable
- Works on Induction, gas, electric, glass, ceramic, halogen, etc.; Oven safe to 500F
- Dishwasher safe; Measures 14 by 7 by 4 in., 3 lb; Useful for frying/double boiling
Neoflam Retro Ceramic Nonstick Saucepan
This beautifully designed saucepan by Neoflam will take you back to yesteryear with its cute pastel colors. As delicious looking as the candy you’ll make in this pan, it comes in three colors; pastel pink, mint blue and light gray.
This 1.5-quart saucepan comes with an Ecolon ceramic coating that gives it superior nonstick performance and highly scratch resistant durability.
The interior core is constructed with aluminum giving it great conductivity and making it lightweight, therefore easier to maneuver in the kitchen. The glass lid with a knob that matches the handle prevents moisture from escaping whereas the steam vent prevents water overflow when using it as a boiler.
The handle is soft and comfortable to the touch which makes it great for handling when making candy. The saucepan is the winner of the 2014 Design Awards which means I’m not the only one gaga-ing over the aesthetic appeal of this pan. Moreover, it comes with a limited lifetime warranty from the manufacturer.
- Ecolon ceramic coating provides superior nonstick performance and highly scratch resistant durability
- Integrated knob lid with steam vent prevents water overflow
- Cast aluminum design is both lightweight and heat conductive
- Soft-touch handle allows for ergonomic grip and ease of cooking
- 2014 Design Award Winner. Measures 7 inch. Capacity 1.5qt. Limited Lifetime Warranty
No matter which one of the above-mentioned pans you choose, I can assure you that you will love the performance. All of them come with the essential features needed to make home-made candy and you can see which one fits your budget and lifestyle the best before making your investment.
I hope this list helps you choose and may you have many fun-filled days ahead packed with sugary treats!
Best Calphalon Pan for Candy Making
Candy making is a form of art in itself. It requires a lot of knowledge, patience, and, above all, precision. One little mistake can ruin everything, not to mention the horrors of cleaning up burnt sugar or something similar. On the other hand, candy making is also really fun and you’ll certainly feel amazing once you see the final product.
Candy making is not easy, but one thing that certainly helps is having the right equipment, and from all the equipment you can use, the candy making pot is definitely the most important part!
Having a pot with all the right characteristic can make candy making much easier. So how do you know what is the perfect candy making pan? First of all, you’ll need to think about the size. When cooking with sugar, you want the initial mixture to fill the pot about halfway through. If you fill the pan to the top, you risk sugar boiling over.
If the pot is too large, you risk burning sugar. The Calphalon pans we’ll show you today all come in 1-quart sizes, which is not too big and not too small. If you plan to make large batches of candy at once, you might want to look into bigger sizes as well, though.
The second thing you’ll need to consider is the shape of the pot. A candy making pan should be fairly deep, and it’s best if the sides are straight as opposed to round shapes. Having a flat bottom and straight sides will allow all of the contents to heat up evenly which is very important when working with sugar. Furthermore, it’s easier to use a candy thermometer when you are working with a pot with straight sides.
Last but not least, a good candy making pan needs to provide even heat distribution and allow for precise temperature control. This will depend mostly on the material it is made of. Aluminum is one of the best heat conductors, which makes a hard anodized pan like Calphalon Contemporary Hard-Anodized Aluminum Nonstick Cookware Sauce Pan a good choice.
On the other hand, stainless steel might be a better choice for beginners because it’s virtually indestructible and easier to clean. However, stainless steel is not a very good heat conductor. Luckily, Calphalon Tri-ply Stainless Steel Saucepan contains a layer of aluminum between the stainless steel layers which makes is highly responsive to heat.
Finally, pans with non-stick coating can also work well, but they shouldn’t be too thin. Look for non-stick pans that still have a heavy construction and a non-stick coating that can withstand high temperatures.
Top 3 Calphalon Pans for Candy Making
Calphalon Contemporary Hard-Anodized Aluminum Nonstick Cookware Sauce Pan
- Heavy gauge aluminum construction ensures even heating and is hard-anodized for durability. It also makes it dishwasher safe
- Interior includes three layers of nonstick coating two layers provide durability and the third layer offers easy release performance
- The long, brushed stainless steel handles are designed to stay cool on the stovetop. Pans and covers are also oven safe, making it ideal for finishing a gourmet dish
- High sides and narrow opening minimize evaporation during slow process of stock and soup making. Heavy gauge sloped bottom heats evenly makes stirring easier
- The nonstick surface means you can cook healthier using less fat, with effortless cleanup. Comes with Calphalon's full lifetime warranty
This Calphalon pan is made from heavy-gauge aluminum with a hard anodized finish. The heavy aluminum construction makes this pan highly durable and impact-resistant, but also extremely responsive to heat.
The high sides have a sloped bottom that has been designed specifically to provide even heat distribution which is essential for candy making. Furthermore, the sloped bottom makes stirring much easier than with pans with straight sides.
The interior features three layers of non-stick coating, resulting in a heat-resistant and dishwasher-safe surface. This pan comes with two handles. One of them is long and the other one is curved allowing or easy balancing.
The handles are made of stainless steel with a beautiful brushed finish. However, they don’t just look good, but remain cool to the touch too. This pan is also oven-safe and it comes with Calphalon’s lifetime limited warranty.
Calphalon Tri-ply Stainless Steel 1 Quart Saucepan with Cover
- Aluminum core between 2 stainless steel layers provides even heating for excellent browning and control of the cooking process. Non-porous stainless steel cooking surface is safe for use with all utensils.
- Elegant brushed stainless steel exterior can go from the oven or stove directly to the table. Reflective cook surface makes it easy to monitor foods as they cook and remains beautiful over time.
- Clear tempered-glass lids let you see food while it's cooking and are oven safe, so you can finish covered dishes in the oven or keep them warm until ready to serve
- High sides and narrow opening minimize evaporation during slow process of stock- and soup-making. Heavy-gauge sloped bottom heats evenly makes stirring easier.
- Long, brushed stainless steel handles stay cool on the stovetop. All cookware is dishwasher-safe and carries Calphalon's full lifetime warranty.
This stainless steel pan from Calphalon is just perfect for candy making. Its sides are straight and the cooking surface is fairly narrow, making it a good fit for working with sugar. The stainless steel interior and exterior make this pan easy to clean and durable. You can even wash it in the dishwasher.
Furthermore, there is a layer of aluminum sandwiched between the layers of stainless steel at the bottom of the pan resulting in better conductivity and even heat distribution. The aluminum core also makes the pan more lightweight which results in easier handling.
The Calphalon Tri-ply Stainless Steel Saucepan features one long handle made of stainless steel and designed to provide a comfortable and secure grip. This makes the pan really easy to maneuver which is a must when making candy.
A glass lid is also included. Both the lid and the pan are oven-safe and compatible with all kinds of stovetops, including induction.
Calphalon Classic Nonstick Sauce Pan with Cover
- Dual-layer nonstick for easy food release, and quick cleanup
- Convenient measuring marks, pour spouts & straining lids
- Durable hard-anodized aluminum construction
- Cast stay-cool stainless steel long handles
- Oven safe up to 450ºF
This Calphalon pan features heavy aluminum construction with a hard-anodized finish and a dual-layer non-stick surface. The shape of the pan is perfect for candy making – it has straight sides, a narrow opening, and a pouring spout which is a nice addition.
Furthermore, there are measuring marks on the inside which can be quite useful too. It also comes with a convenient straining lid which can be turned to the side to lock in moisture.
This pan features a long handle made of brushed stainless steel with a hole at the end that makes it suitable for hanging. All parts are oven-safe up to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
Calphalon is known for making top-notch cookware that does what it’s supposed to do really well. But what is the best Calphalon pan for candy making? That is not an easy question to answer. In all honesty, it will depend on your personal style.
An aluminum pan, like the Calphalon Contemporary Hard-Anodized Aluminum Nonstick Cookware Saucepan, will provide unmatched responsiveness to heat. On the other hand, a pan made of stainless steel with an aluminum core might also be a good choice.
It’s not only perfect for beginners, but actually many professionals prefer stainless steel too. Whatever you choose, we hope that this article has been of help!