Hey! This site is reader-supported and we earn commissions if you purchase products from retailers after clicking on a link from our site.
Browning meat can really bring all the meat dishes you make to the next level. Nothing really compares to the distinctive, irresistible taste of browned meat, but, in order to do this properly, you really need to have the right frying pan.
But what kind of pan is good for browning, you may wonder. In order to brown meat successfully, you need to add the meat to a hot pan and maintain a high temperature for some time.
Not every pan is able to do this, and non-stick pans are automatically disqualified because they are not usually made to withstand high temperatures, especially not for longer periods of time.
Instead, many chefs recommend going with a cast iron skillet. However, there are some other decent options too, in case cast iron is not your thing. Today, we review the four best skillets for browning meat.
So letâ€™s take a look!Invalid table id.
Lodge Seasoned Cast Iron Skillet
No products found.
No products found.
As we have already hinted, many people will tell you that a cast iron skillet is the ultimate pan for browning meat and this might as well be true – the Lodge Seasoned Cast Iron Skillet really does an amazing job at browning meat.
This is not just a random coincidence, though, there are good reasons why this pan works so well for this specific purpose. Namely, cast iron is not the best conductor of heat, but it retains heat better than any other metal.
What this means is that the pan heats up slowly, but once it heats up, it remains hot and maintains a stable temperature which is exactly what you need when browning meat.
Uncoated cast iron does require a specific maintenance routine, but itâ€™s not too hard once you get used to it. Itâ€™s just that these pans should never go in the dishwasher and you need to season them on a regular basis.
This Lodge pan arrives pre-seasoned with vegetable oil, though, so you can use it right out of the box!
No products found.
Le Creuset Enameled Cast-Iron 11-3/4-Inch Skillet With Iron Handle
Le Creuset is a French cookware manufacturer with a long history. What they are known for is cast iron cookware covered with a colorful enamel coating.
When it comes to enameled cast iron, Le Creuset is really the best of the best. While their pans are a bit on the pricier side, they do last literally forever which makes them a good investment.
The Le Creuset Enameled Cast-Iron 11-3/4-Inch Skillet With Iron Handle works perfectly for browning meat. Enameled cast iron works just as well as uncoated cast iron for this purpose, but you get some additional benefits – you donâ€™t need to season your enameled cast iron skillet, and itâ€™s easier to clean.
The only issue you might have with this pan is the fact that the handle does get hot. However, this is easily solved by adding the silicone handle sleeve made by Le Creuset.
- 11-3/4-inch enameled cast-iron skillet with dual pour spouts
- Chip- and crack-resistant enamel won't react to foods
- Integral iron handle and opposite helper handle for secure transport
- Hand washing recommended; oven- and broiler-safe to any oven temperature
- Measures approximately 18-4/5 by 13-1/2 by 2 inches; limited lifetime warranty
De Buyer MINERAL B Round Carbon Steel Fry Pan
Carbon steel is the less-known cousin of cast iron. Although itâ€™s called â€œcarbonâ€ steel, this material actually contains more iron than cast iron, which actually makes carbon steel pans a bit lighter than cast iron pans. If the weight of cast iron is an issue for you, a carbon steel pan might be a good alternative.
The De Buyer MINERAL B Round Carbon Steel Fry Pan measures 12.5 inches in diameter, which means itâ€™s quite large.
However, it has a long handle on one side and a helper handle on the other so handling the size of this pan shouldnâ€™t be too much of a problem, and you do get all the extra space.
The long handle is tightly secured with three rivets and slightly raised near the side of the pan which is a characteristic of traditional French design. The pan itself is made of 99% pure iron, so it works with induction cooktops too.
Finally, De Buyer covers their carbon steel pans with beeswax before shipping in order to protect the pans from oxidation and ensure they are in a perfect condition when they get to you.
- CARBON STEEL FRY PAN - The MINERAL B Fry Pan is perfect for searing meat, sauteing vegetables, reheating leftovers, or cooking eggs. It’s made of carbon steel, which is one of the most natural cooking materials, praised by chefs around the world.
- NATURALLY NONSTICK - Lighter than cast iron & more heat conductive than stainless steel, this fry pan becomes naturally nonstick after seasoning—without any chemicals or synthetic coating—and gets better the more you use it.
- HOW TO USE - Follow our instructions on first use to wash off the beeswax & season the pan. Hand wash only & avoid harsh soaps that can strip the seasoning. Can be used on all cooking surfaces, including induction. Oven safe for up to 10 min at 400F.
- ROOTED IN FRENCH CULINARY TRADITION - We design and manufacture premium kitchen accessories, pastry equipment, and cooking utensils, continuously innovating to meet the needs of catering professionals and home cooks alike.
All-Clad 41126 Stainless Steel Fry Pan with Lid
When it comes to browning meat, a good stainless steel skillet is another great option. When it comes to stainless steel skillets, All-Clad is one of the best manufacturers out there.
This pan offers a highly polished stainless steel cooking surface. What this means is that you get the perfect surface not only for browning meat but also for cooking the sauce in the same pan if you want to do so.
What makes it so great is that fact that stainless steel is completely non-reactive – no reactions, no harmful chemicals released.
Moreover, this pan has a layer of aluminum sandwiched between the inner and outer layers made of stainless steel. Aluminum is a good conductor of heat, so it allows this pan to heat up more quickly and distribute the heat more evenly.
- Premium 12-inch stainless steel fry pan with a lid, featuring a durable and versatile tri-ply construction for even heat distribution and retention, making it perfect for various cooking techniques.
- Fast and Even Heat - D3 tri-ply is fully bonded to the rim for professional performance & durability. The high quality 18/10 stainless steel surface sears to perfection and is ideal to deglaze for pan sauces.
- Design You Will Love - D3 has a professionally polished stainless steel finish. Our classic, double riveted stainless steel handles ensure a secure grip.
- Built to Last - Trusted by generations of chefs and backed by All-Clad's Limited Lifetime Warranty. Our cookware is oven & broiler safe up to 600°F and compatible with any stovetop, including induction. Handwashing is recommended.
- Bonded, Engineered, & Assembled in Canonsburg, PA - USA Since 1971.
Finally, what is the best pan for browning meat? Well, itâ€™s a pan that can stand high temperatures, and that is able to maintain those temperatures for extended periods of time.
Whether you choose cast iron, carbon steel, or a stainless steel skillet with an aluminum core is a matter of personal choice. Nevertheless, all of the pans on our list are high-quality pans that donâ€™t work only for browning meat.
In fact, they are quite versatile, and all of them work both on the stovetop and in the oven.
Whichever you decide to get, we are sure you wonâ€™t be disappointed!