In Sweden, the cinnamon roll has its own holiday, called Kanelbullens dag or Cinnamon Roll Day. Although Swedish cinnamon rolls are simpler and less decadent than those made in North America, they are nevertheless one of the most popular baked goods across the world.
Cinnamon rolls are not too hard to make, but do you know what kind of pan to use?
First of all, the pan shouldn’t be too big – you should be able to fill it completely with your cinnamon rolls. Furthermore, for perfect fluffy rolls that are not too dry, you’ll need a moderately deep pan.
The ideal depth is between 2 and 3 inches. All kinds of baking pans theoretically work for cinnamon buns, but one often overlooked option is the fact that you can make them in a cast iron skillet too. These are our top choices.
Table of Contents
- 1 Le Creuset Stoneware Rectangular Dish
- 2 Cuisinart AMB-9RCK 9-Inch Chef’s Classic Nonstick Bakeware Round Cake Pan
- 3 Emile Henry Made In France HR Modern Classics Large Rectangular Baker
- 4 T-fal E83407 Pre-Seasoned Nonstick Durable Cast Iron Skillet
- 5 Lodge L10SKL Cast Iron Pan
- 6 Final Thoughts
Le Creuset Stoneware Rectangular Dish
The Le Creuset Stoneware Rectangular Dish is a classic deep baking pan and it works great for cinnamon rolls. Stoneware is basically a type of pottery that has been baked at extremely high temperatures.
The main advantage of stoneware is the fact that it maintains an even temperature, which means you will never get scorched corners when making cinnamon rolls or anything else.
This Le Creuset pan is coated with enamel inside and out. The enamel coating on the exterior is quite durable and it doesn’t start chipping off even after years of use. It also comes in a variety of colors which is nice.
On the other hand, the inside enamel is sandy white with a nice glassy finish. The enamel coating also makes this pan quite easy to clean. You can even soak it in water for a couple of hours if something gets stuck to the pan.
- Stoneware maintains even temperatures and prevents scorching
- Unmatched thermal resistance - safe for freezer, microwave, oven, broiler and dishwasher
- Dense stoneware blocks moisture absorption to prevent cracking, crazing and rippling
- Impermeable exterior enamel resists scratches and stains and is safe for cutting on with knives
- Nearly-nonstick glazed interior easily releases foods for quick cleanup
Cuisinart AMB-9RCK 9-Inch Chef’s Classic Nonstick Bakeware Round Cake Pan
One great thing about cinnamon rolls is that you can make them in any type of pan. If you like to keep it simple, the Cuisinart AMB-9RCK 9-Inch Chef’s Classic Nonstick Bakeware Round Cake Pan will definitely do the job.
This is a 2 inches deep round baking pan with a 9-inch diameter. That is just the right size for a small batch of cinnamon rolls. It’s made of aluminized steel and it’s a sturdy pan that has a weight to it when you hold it in your hands.
The inside surface is covered by a non-stick coating, but don’t worry, the pan is dishwasher safe. Most importantly, this pan has been designed to last down to the finest details.
For instance, the sides of the pan have thick rolled edges that prevent the pan from warping even at extremely high temperatures.
Emile Henry Made In France HR Modern Classics Large Rectangular Baker
Emile Henry is a French family-owned company. They have been making ceramic cookware from Burgundy clay since the 1850s. Today, they still make some of the best ceramic cookware you can find.
This rectangular baker is covered with a beautiful glaze which not only looks beautiful, but it’s also dishwasher-safe. If you want a really nice pan to honor your cinnamon rolls this might be the one. The clay retains heat really well too, which makes this pan also perfect for serving.
We especially loved the basic white version, but this pan is also available with yellow, red, green, or blue coating on the exterior.
The internal space of the Emile Henry Made In France HR Modern Classics Large Rectangular Baker measures 11.5 inches in length and 8.25 inches in width. The pan is 2.5 inches deep which is perfect for making cinnamon rolls but also for many other sweet and savory dishes.
T-fal E83407 Pre-Seasoned Nonstick Durable Cast Iron Skillet
It’s always a good idea to have a nice cast iron skillet in your kitchen. It can be used to make a wide variety of dishes. Furthermore, cast iron pans are completely oven-safe which makes them perfect for baking cinnamon rolls.
The T-fal E83407 Pre-Seasoned Nonstick Durable Cast Iron Skillet measures 12 inches in diameter which makes it perfect for a batch of cinnamon rolls.
This pan distributes heat really evenly which should prevent your rolls from burning if you cook them at the right temperature. The sides of the pan are gently sloping towards the bottom, but not too much.
On one side, the pan has a long, well-balanced handle, while on the other side it has a helper handle for easier lifting.
- Dress up grilled steak; fish and veggies with authentic restaurant stripes which is perfect for browning; searing; flying and Saut?ing
- Large; extra long handle with Easy to grip side helper handles and signature thumb rest for easy handling
- Comes pre seasoned for first use and includes step by step instructions for seasoning case
- Heats evenly and consistently, as cast iron is the best material for heat retention and distribution; Oven safe up to 600 degree Fahrenheit and is PFOA Free and Cadmium Free
- Pouring spouts allow for controlled transfer of contents
Lodge L10SKL Cast Iron Pan
Cast iron skillets work great for baking too, but they often have a long handle which can be a problem if you have a small oven. You won’t run into such problems with the Lodge L10SKL Cast Iron Pan.
Instead of a long handle and a helper handle, this pan has two looped handles on the sides. The handles are still big enough for you to grip them comfortably with mittens on, but they are not so big so they interfere with placing the pan in the oven.
Perfect for baking! The pan comes in three sizes – 10.25 inches, 12 inches, and 17 inches so you can choose the one that fits your needs perfectly whether you usually cook for one or for a whole family.
- With ample cooking surface and an ergonomic dual-assist handle design, this 12” Lodge cast iron skillet is at home in the oven, on the stove top, on the grill or over the campfire.
- Brutally tough for decades of cooking, Lodge Cast Iron cookware is unparalleled in heat retention and even heating.
- A good seasoning makes all the difference. Lodge seasons it’s cast iron cookware with 100% vegetable oil, no synthetic coatings or chemicals. The more you use your cast iron cookware, the better the seasoning will get.
- Lodge Cast Iron skillets are considered an essential kitchen tool by leading chefs and generations of home cooks. It’s the right tool to sear, saute, bake, broil, braise or fry.
- Suitable for use on all heat sources Oven, Gas or Electric stovetop, induction, campfire, BBQ. Not suitable for use in the microwave.
If you have limited space in your kitchen, or just don’t like overcrowding it with stuff, it’s a good idea to look for pots and pans that can perform multiple actions.
If we were looking for a pan specifically for cinnamon rolls, we’d definitely choose the Emile Henry Made In France HR Modern Classics Large Rectangular Baker.
However, if you are looking for a versatile pan that can perform a range of functions, then a cast iron pan like Lodge L10SKL Cast Iron Pan might be the right choice after all.