If you’ve decided (or have been advised!) to get into oil-free cooking, it’s paramount that you have a great non-stick pan. Without one, you’ll find yourself in a pile of frustration among a mess of stuck, burnt, unbudging food.
We’ve found three of the best pans for oil-free cooking, all with trustworthy non-stick surfaces and hard-wearing materials. They’ve all got a 12-inch diameter (with an extra 10-inch pan thrown in there too!), great handles and versatile cooking options.
Let’s explore the best pans for oil-free cooking…
Table of Contents
- 1 Calphalon Contemporary Hard-Anodized Aluminum Nonstick Cookware, Omelette Fry Pan, 10-inch and 12-inch Set, Black, New Version
- 2 Almond Home Nonstick Ceramic Copper Frying Pan, 12 inches
- 3 T-fal Ultimate Hard-Anodized Scratch Resistant Titanium Nonstick Thermo-Spot Heat Indicator Pan, 12-Inch
- 4 Final thoughts
Calphalon Contemporary Hard-Anodized Aluminum Nonstick Cookware, Omelette Fry Pan, 10-inch and 12-inch Set, Black, New Version
It probably doesn’t come as a surprise to see Calphalon on this list, as they are real masters of non-stick cookware. This particular set comes with two different frying pans, a 10-inch and a 12-inch.
We like the value offered here, with two pans to cater to different portion sizes and cooking needs. These pans are called “omelet” pans, as their shape and non-stick nature is ideal for egg dishes. However, they’re really all-around, versatile pans.
These pans are made from hard-anodized aluminum which makes for a very hard, durable, scratch-resistant, warp-resistant performance. They do have a non-stick coating (3 layers in fact), which is PFOA-free.
This means you can’t use metal utensils, but this is no big deal as wood and rubber utensils are all you need. The easy-release, non-stick surface means you don’t need more than a simple nudge with a soft utensil to get things moving.
The sides are nicely curved so you can easily flip, toss, pour and transfer food without awkward angles to deal with. You’ll notice that the handles are made from a contrasting brushed stainless steel. Their particular shape has been created to ensure they remain cool enough to touch when the pan is on the stove.
Good news, you can use these pans in the oven, perhaps for finishing off a frittata or adding an extra grilled surface to salmon. In terms of being dishwasher safe…yes, they are. However, we do recommend hand-washing when you can as it just preserves the performance for longer. Hand-washing non-stick pans is a breeze anyway, as the mess simply slides off.
And finally, the price is right! You’re handing over a pretty modest amount of cash for two very reliable pans ideal for oil-free cooking.
- Heavy-gauge aluminum construction ensures even heating and is hard-anodized for durability. It also makes it dishwasher-safe.
- Interior includes three layers of nonstick coating - two layers provide durability and the third layer offers easy release performance.
- The long, brushed stainless steel handles are designed to stay cool on the stovetop. Pans and covers are also oven safe, making it ideal for finishing a gourmet dish.
- Flat, wide bottoms heat evenly and provide plenty of room for cooking. The sloped sides are designed for easy tossing and rolling.
- The nonstick fry pan surface means you can cook healthier using less fat, with effortless cleanup. Comes with Calphalon full Lifetime warranty.
Almond Home Nonstick Ceramic Copper Frying Pan, 12 inches
Next up on our list is a skillet from a lesser-known brand, Almond Home. This attractive pan is made from aluminum for great heat conductivity and distribution. But the real winner is the ceramic non-stick coating which is free from PTFE and PFOA.
The cooking surface really is non-stick, allowing for efficient oil-free cooking without the risk of the dreaded “stuck food” tragedy! (FYI The “copper” part of the name refers to the color of the ceramic coating as there’s no actual copper in these pans.)
The construction is nice and thick (3mm) which boosts the even heat distribution factor and makes for a durable, long-lasting pan.
The handle is rather sleek, made from stainless steel, ergonomically designed (for comfort and control) and firmly riveted to the pan. This is always a great feature as there’s nothing worse than a wobbly handle or one which is awkward to hold when transferring a hot pan.
We were really impressed with how versatile this pan is. It is oven-safe up to 420 degrees Fahrenheit and is compatible with all cooktops, induction included. The tempered glass lid is also a great feature as it is oven-safe too (up to 500 degrees Fahrenheit).
A pan lid always comes in handy especially when cooking wet foods which need to be covered while simmering. It’s also extremely convenient when you need to cover your food between helpings!
This pan is more expensive than others, but we think the cost is worth it as you’ll get lots of use out of this pan. It’s dishwasher safe, but we think it’s always best to hand-wash your cookware just to keep that non-stick ability going strong.
This pan is attractive, versatile and truly non-stick for oil-free cooking. Highly recommended for you if you have an induction cooktop, you prefer a ceramic coating and you’d like an oven-safe option.
- International products have separate terms, are sold from abroad and may differ from local products, including fit, age ratings, and language of product, labeling or instructions.
- DURABLE NONSTICK COPPER: Easily create delicious eggs, omelets and recipes with Almond's exquisitely designed nonstick copper pans; oven safe to 420 F, you can cook evenly without food sticking
- HEALTHY CERAMIC COATING: The beautiful ceramic coating is PTFE and PFOA free, allowing you to cook your favorite meals safely and without all the extra oil and butter needed for traditional skillets
- EVEN COOKING: Each Almond copper skillet measures a robust 3.0 millimeters for optimum heat control and distribution; evenly cook food for years to come while enjoying comfortable handling
- TEMPERED GLASS LID: Oven safe to 500 F, the tempered glass lid keeps dishes warm inside the pan until they're ready for plating and lets you keep an eye on things for the perfect finish
T-fal Ultimate Hard-Anodized Scratch Resistant Titanium Nonstick Thermo-Spot Heat Indicator Pan, 12-Inch
Lucky number 3 (though, these are in no particular order!) goes to T-Fal, one of the most well-known and trusted brands when it comes to non-stick cookware. This pan is not only extremely affordable but it’s very high-quality too…the best combination.
The pan is made from hard-anodized aluminum which is very durable, great at conducting heat and spreads heat evenly around the cooking surface.
The non-stick surface is T-Fal’s Prometal coating which is compatible with metal utensils due to being very durable and non-scratch. And when they say “non-stick”, they mean it. This is the kind of pan you can turn to on a daily basis for oil-free cooking from breakfast through to dinner.
We really love the TechnoResist Anti-warp base as there’s nothing more irksome than a warped, uneven, unsteady frying pan base.
Another awesome feature is the silicone handle which allows for a steady, non-slip, cool-touch grip when cooking and transferring to the oven. And yes, it’s oven-safe up to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
This pan comes with a handy glass lid and of course, the T-Fal Thermo-Spot heat indicator so you’re always cooking on a perfectly preheated pan. It is dishwasher-safe, but we recommend hand-washing to preserve the quality and durability.
A fantastic pan which is truly non-stick and comes with lots of great features such as a glass lid, silicone handles, and the Thermo Spot Heat Indicator.
- Hard anodized aluminum construction for durability
- Unique Thermo-Spot heat indicator for proper preheating
- Hard Titanium nonstick interior for the ultimate and longest lasting performance
- Riveted silicone handles for safety and comfort
- Great wedding gift for the couple and/or housewarming gift for a new home
The key feature which these three pans have in common is that they are all completely non-stick. All of the non-stick surfaces have proven to be long-lasting and very effective, allowing for hassle-free cooking without oil or fat.
They are all oven-safe, easy to hand wash and they all have sturdy cool-touch handles. They each have their own unique benefits: the Calphalon option comes with 2 pans (different sizes), the Almond Home pan has a ceramic coating, and the T-Fal pan has the Thermo Spot Heat Indicator.
Take a closer look at each one to select the best option for your needs. Whichever you choose, you can’t go wrong.