A kitchen without a good skillet is – well, it is really not a kitchen. Whether you’re making breakfast, lunch, or dinner, using an electric cooktop or an induction cooktop, whatever dish you decide to make, there is a good chance you’ll need a skillet at some point.
Having a good quality skillet at hand can make cooking much more enjoyable. For this reason, we’ve tested and reviewed all of the most popular skillets to create this guide on best skillets in every category.
No matter if you are looking for a non-stick skillet, an electric one, or maybe a cast iron one, you’ll certainly find something you like on this list.
Table of Contents
- 1 Best Oven-Safe Skillets
- 2 Best Stainless Steel Skillets
- 3 Best Cast Iron Skillets
- 4 Best Non-Stick Skillets
- 5 Best Electric Skillets
- 6 Best Carbon Steel Skillets
Best Oven-Safe Skillets
All-Clad BD55403 Unisex D5 Brushed 3-Quart Stainless Steel Skillet With Lid
This beautiful skillet from All-Clad features five alternating layers of stainless steel and aluminum. The stainless steel exterior makes the pan durable, resistant to damage, and dishwasher-safe, while the inside aluminum layer provides superior heat conductivity.
Most importantly, the pan is completely oven-safe since all parts are made of metal, including the stainless steel lid. When we say completely, we mean up to 600 degrees Fahrenheit, according to the manufacturer’s instructions, but no household oven goes beyond this temperature which means it would be very hard to ruin this pan.
- 3-Quart saute pan with large cooking surface and tall sides - perfect for sauteing, browning or searing
- 5-ply bonded construction with alternating layers of stainless steel and conductive aluminum for warp-free strength and even heating throughout
- Highly polished stainless-steel cooking surface with starburst finish offers superior stick resistance and easy maintenance, plus won’t react with food
- Capacity etched on base; heat-resistant stainless-steel handles with large bolster and permanently secured with stainless-steel rivets; flat stainless-steel lids; flared pouring rims
- Oven- and broiler-safe up to 600 degrees F; optimized for induction; dishwasher-safe; limited lifetime warranty; Made in USA
Lodge L10CF3 Cast Iron Covered Deep Skillet
When it comes to dishes that require transferring the pan from the stovetop into the oven, cast iron is definitely one of the best materials to go with. Cast iron is known for its heat retention properties – once it gets hot, it stays hot for a long time.
This allows you to maintain a stable temperature in the pan when the recipe requires starting on the stovetop and finishing in the oven.
The Lodge L10CF3 Cast Iron Covered Deep Skillet is the perfect example of a versatile cast iron pan. This heavy-bodied pan is 12 inches wide and 4.5 inches deep which makes it suitable for a variety of dishes made both on the stovetop and in the oven.
It has a long handle on one side and a small helper handle on the other. It also comes with a nice cast iron lid. Both the lid and the pan are completely oven safe. This skillet also comes pre-seasoned so you can use it right out of the box.
- 5-Qt. fryer with self-basting iron lid preserves moisture
- Pre-Seasoned and ready-to-use
- Superior heat retention and even cooking
- Measures: 12-inches diameter and 3.25-inches deep
- Made in the USA
Cuisinart 625-30D Chef’s Classic Nonstick Hard-Anodized 12-Inch Everyday Pan with Medium Dome Cover
The cooking surface has a special non-stick finish that is PFOA-free and reinforced with titanium. Unlike many other non-stick pans, this one is actually oven-safe up to 500 degrees Fahrenheit, thanks to the reinforced non-stick coating.
This pan is 12 inches wide, which is a nice size for everyday cooking. This pan does not have a long handle like most skillets have. Instead, it has two loop handles on the sides. The loop handles make it easier to place the pan in the oven, but otherwise, it is just like a regular pan.
A domed lid made of tempered glass with stainless steel rims and handle is also included.
- Chef's classic, 12", non-stick hard anodized skillet with cover, perfect for 1 dish meals, fits generous filets of beef, chicken & fish
- The product is manufactured China
- The product is easy to use
- 12-inch everyday pan with lid and 2 loop-style handles
- Hard-anodized aluminum construction with an aluminum core
Best Stainless Steel Skillets
All-Clad 41126 Stainless Steel Fry Pan with Lid
This skillet from All-Clad is made of stainless steel with an aluminum core sandwiched between the stainless steel layers. This means you get the sturdiness of stainless steel and the heat responsiveness of aluminum all in one.
The cooking surface is highly polished and features a special starburst finish that helps prevent food from sticking to the pan. It is really as close as you can get to a non-stick coating without actual coatings, and since it’s stainless steel, it will last virtually forever.
This All-Clad 41126 Stainless Steel Fry Pan is also dishwasher safe, compatible with induction stovetops, and oven-safe up to 600 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Manufactured in Belgium
- Impressive 7-ply construction
- Patented Silvinox surface treatment - stainless steel maintains silvery finish, resists fingerprints and is easy to clean
- Flatbase stability - pan won't warp when heated
- Stay-cool 18/10 stainless steel handles are securely welded and extremely hygienic
Demeyere Proline 5 Star 11 Inch Fry Pan
The Demeyere Proline 5 Star 11 Inch Fry Pan is truly what you call a top-of-the-line skillet. It works beautifully on all kinds of stovetops, including induction. Thanks to the stainless steel exterior, this pan not only looks beautiful, but it’s also very durable and almost impossible to scratch.
You can wash it in the dishwasher, use metal utensils with it, or scrub by hand as much as you like if it gets really dirty – it’s pretty much indestructible. All of its parts, including the handles, are made of stainless steel, which also makes it completely dishwasher safe.
Moreover, this Demeyere skillet is actually three-layered. There is an aluminum layer sandwiched between the stainless steel internal and external layers. Since aluminum is a very good heat conductor, this allows the pan to heat up quickly and evenly.
The aluminum layer goes all the way up to the sides of the skillet too, which is not always the case.
- 18/10 mirror-finish stainless steel. Classic looks, professional performance. Cooking surface does not discolor, react with food, or alter flavors.
- Solid stainless steel riveted handles stay cool on the stovetop. Safe and comfortable handling.
- Aluminum encapsulated base heats quickly and spreads heat evenly. Eliminates hot spots.
- Eliminates drips and spills while pouring. Measurement markings for ease of use
- Oven safe to 550 F. Cook on stovetop, in oven or under broiler. Freezer safe for easy storage.
Cuisinart 722-36H Chef’s Classic Stainless 14-Inch Open Skillet with Helper Handle
This stainless steel skillet from Cuisinart is simple, functional, and reasonably priced. It’s a good choice for those looking for quality stainless steel cookware on a tight budget. Despite the lower price, it is not much different from the two skillets we mentioned above.
The exterior and the interior are made of 18/10 stainless steel, as is the handle, while the inner core is made of aluminum for better heat conduction. With a diameter of 14 inches, this pan is quite large, but we know many cooks enjoy cooking with larger skillets.
Moreover, the Cuisinart 722-36H Chef’s Classic Stainless features a nice helper handle along with the classic long handle, so you’ll surely be able to lift it securely despite the size.
- TIMELESS PROFESSIONAL APPEAL: All-Clad D3 Stainless is the perfect choice for anyone who loves to cook. Beyond the classic stainless-steel style, you will find a well-constructed, high-performance, easy to use skillet for all, from beginner to culinary artist.
- VERSATILE FOR ALL YOUR COOKING NEEDS: This 12-inch fry pan features low, sloped sides for easy flipping and turning, and a wide flat surface for searing and browning, fitting 3-4 chicken breasts at once. Each piece is crafted with quality materials to hold and distribute heat evenly throughout the pan, so only medium heat is needed for most searing, sautéing, and simmering
- MADE IN THE USA TO LAST A LIFETIME: The D3 Stainless collection features three alternating layers of American-made stainless-steel and aluminum, bonded together all the way to the rim. The classic stainless-steel handles stay cool on the stovetop and are permanently secured with stainless-steel rivets. Products are rigorously tested to ensure that every item with the All-Clad logo offers a lifetime of beauty and performance.
- CONVENIENT AND LOW MAINTENANCE: All items included are dishwasher safe. For anything stuck on, use a mixture of white vinegar and water, or a stainless-steel powder cleanser, such as Bar Keepers Friend.
- LIFETIME WARRANTY: D3 Stainless cookware pieces are crafted in our factory in Canonsburg, Pennsylvania. Each piece is compatible with all cooktops, including induction, is oven and broiler safe up to 600 degrees Fahrenheit, and is covered by our limited lifetime warranty.
Best Cast Iron Skillets
Lodge L8SK3 10.25 inch Cast Iron Skillet
Lodge is a company with 120 years of experience in making cast iron cookware and they really know how to make a pan that will last for years and this is certainly true when it comes to the Lodge L8SK3 10.25 inch Cast Iron Skillet.
This is a classic cast iron skillet – simple, but still amazing, and amazingly affordable. It has two pouring spouts on the sides to prevent any spilling, a long handle on one side (not too long though, which allows the pan to easily fit in the oven), and a helper handle on the other side.
The handles do get hot, though, but Lodge also makes a silicon handle cover that gives the ability to hold the handle without oven mitts.
With cast iron skillets, the seasoning can make all the difference in the world. Luckily, this skillet comes pre-seasoned, and the seasoning doesn’t contain any synthetic coatings or chemicals either. Instead, it’s seasoned only with vegetable oil.
- 10.25 Inch Seasoned Cast Iron Skillet. An improvement on the original: the Lodge Cast Iron Skillet, featuring an assist handle. This will be your go-to pan for generations to come. Handle length is 4.81 inch. When deep frying, fill cookware only to 1/3 of capacity
- SEASONED COOKWARE. A good seasoning makes all the difference. Lodge seasons its cookware with 100% vegetable oil; no synthetic coatings or chemicals. The more you use your iron, the better the seasoning will get.
- MADE IN THE USA. Lodge has been making cast iron cookware in South Pittsburg, Tennessee (pop. 3,300) since 1896. With over 120 years of experience, their cast iron is known for its high quality design, lifetime durability, and cooking versatility.
- MAKE EVERY MEAL A MEMORY. Lodge knows that cooking is about more than just the food; it’s about the memories.
- FAMILY-OWNED. Lodge is more than just a business; it’s a family. The Lodge family founded the company in 1896, and they still own it today. From environmental responsibility to community development, their heads and hearts are rooted in America.
T-fal E83407 Pre-Seasoned Nonstick Durable Cast Iron Skillet
Most cast iron skillets look similar, and this is simply because you can’t go wrong with the classic design. This cast iron skillet from T-fal looks quite similar to the Lodge skillet we previously mentioned, but it’s a bit larger, measuring 12 inches in diameter.
Cast iron is quite heavy, so it shouldn’t surprise you that this pan weighs as much as 9 pounds which equals to 4 kilograms. Cast iron skillets simply need to be as heavy, since a thick layer of cast iron is necessary for the amazing heat retention this pan provides.
It shouldn’t be too hard to handle it, though, since there is a nice, long, well-balanced handle on one side and a helper handle on the opposite side.
- Dress up grilled steak; fish and veggies with authentic restaurant stripes which is perfect for browning; searing; flying and Saut?ing
- Large; extra long handle with Easy to grip side helper handles and signature thumb rest for easy handling
- Comes pre seasoned for first use and includes step by step instructions for seasoning case
- Heats evenly and consistently, as cast iron is the best material for heat retention and distribution; Oven safe up to 600 degree Fahrenheit and is PFOA Free and Cadmium Free
- Pouring spouts allow for controlled transfer of contents
Utopia Kitchen Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron Skillet
Utopia Kitchen Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron Skillet is another beautiful classic cast iron skillet. This one is even larger than the previous one – measuring 12.5 inches in diameter. However, it is also slightly lighter, weigh 8 pounds altogether.
Therefore, you might want to opt for this one if you find the weight of cast iron pans problematic. The sides of the pan are gently sloping towards the bottom, but not too much.
On one side, the pan has a long, well-balanced handle, while on the other side it has a helper handle for easier lifting.
- Cast iron cookware is less smoother than the Non-Stick cookware.
- Iron deficiency is fairly common worldwide especially among women so cooking food in a cast iron skillet can increase iron content by as much as 20%
- Hand wash even before first use and dry immediately; rub with a light coat of vegetable oil after every wash
- Allow cast iron skillet to cool completely before washing them in hot soapy water with a sponge using regular dishwashing liquid soap; it is not dishwasher safe
- Its superior heat retention will keep your mouth watering food warm for a long time
Best Non-Stick Skillets
Tramontina 80114/535DS Professional Aluminum Nonstick Restaurant Fry Pan
This pan from Tramontina is one of the most rugged non-stick pans available. Non-stick pans have a reputation of being flimsy and not very durable, but with this skillet, this is certainly not true!
It’s made of heavy-gauge commercial-grade aluminum that can definitely withstand everyday use in the kitchen. The Tramontina 80114/535DS Professional Aluminum Nonstick Restaurant Fry Pan also features a beautiful brushed finish on the outside and a securely riveted stainless steel handle with a silicone grip.
The silicone remains cool to the touch on the stove, while the fact that you can remove it makes it much easier to clean the pan.
Most importantly, the cooking surface of this skillet is covered with a non-stick coating that doesn’t contain any harmful chemicals. There is no PFOA, lead, or cadmium, which means your food will remain safe even when used at high temperatures.
- NSF-Certified commercial-grade 3004 heavy-gauge aluminum
- High-performance reinforced PFOA-free nonstick, dishwasher-safe
- Works with gas, electric and ceramic glass, oven-safe (400 F / 204 C)
- Tramontina Item # 80114/535DS - UPC 16017041318
- MADE IN USA with imported components, Lifetime Warranty
Calphalon 1948259 Signature Hard Anodized Nonstick Omelet Pan
This convenient pan from Calphalon is made of heavy-gauge aluminum which allows the pan to heat up really quickly and cool down just as fast, resulting in amazingly precise temperature control.
It also boasts a hard anodized exterior finish which makes this pan twice as durable as regular aluminum pans. The inside surface is covered with a non-stick coating and you’ll be glad to know that it is PFOA-free which means there are no harmful chemicals released even at high temperatures.
The coating is also dishwasher safe and it won’t get damaged by metal utensils which is always a good thing. Finally, Calphalon 1948259 Signature Hard Anodized Nonstick Omelet Pan comes with a handle made of stainless steel with a brushed finish that remains cool on the stove top. It is a small detail, but not irrelevant!
Overall, a great, versatile pan that you’ll most likely use every single day.
- Signature Sear Nonstick interior is PFOA-free and designed to perform as effectively as stainless steel
- Crafted from heavy-gauge hard-anodized aluminum for lasting durability
- Brushed stainless steel long handle stays cool while you're cooking on the stovetop
- Use any utensil: Metal whisks, spoons and spatulas won't scratch the nonstick surface
- Dishwasher safe for convenient cleanup
Cuisinart 622-30G Chef’s Classic Nonstick Hard-Anodized 12-Inch Skillet with Glass Cover
This non-stick skillet from Cuisinart is a bestseller on Amazon, and this is certainly not a coincidence. In fact, this skillet is simple and affordable, but it comes with all the necessary features you need in a non-stick skillet.
It’s made of hard anodized aluminum which makes it durable and impact resistant, complemented with a stainless steel handle and a nice lid made of tempered glass. Moreover, the non-stick coating on this pan is reinforced with quantanium, which makes it amazingly durable. The pan is also oven-safe up to 500 degrees Fahrenheit.
It also features a nice rolled rim that prevents dripping.
- Hard anodized is harder than stainless steel and is dense, nonporous and highly wear-resistant for extra durability and professional performance
- Quantanium nonstick interior is reinforced with titanium and provides lasting food release, healthily nonfat cooking option, and easy clean up
- Cool grip handles are solid stainless steel riveted stick handles that stay cool on the stove top and provide a safe a solid grip
- Oven safe to 500 degrees F, with tapered drip free rim.Unsurpassed Heat Distribution
- Limited lifetime warranty.Great for slowly cooking minced garlic in olive oil, frying breaded pork chops, or browning sausage
Best Electric Skillets
Precise Heat KTES4 16-Inch Rectangular Surgical Stainless Steel Electric Skillet
Electric skillets are great because you can use them to cook literally anywhere where there is a power outlet. However, we have found that the Precise Heat KTES4 16-Inch Rectangular Surgical Stainless Steel Electric Skillet is also quite useful when used in the kitchen as an extension of your stove.
The cooking surface is 16 inches long and 11 inches wide, which equals to an extra large frying pan. For this reason, you can use it to cook multiple foods at once. The cooking surface and the lid are made of 100% stainless steel which means there are no coatings to worry about.
The electric cord is removable so you can easily wash it in the sink, and it is super easy to clean!
- The Precise Heat 16" Rectangular T304 Stainless Steel Electric Skillet is the one kitchen appliance you will find yourself using again and again
- Use as an extension of your stove, and prepare meals anywhere there is an electric outlet
- Large 16” x 11” x 2 1/4” cooking surface allows for cooking multiple foods at once
- Features non-slip feet, durable, insulated handles, and adjustable temperature control
- Stainless steel lid cover to keep food warm and also protect skillet during storage
De’Longhi BG45 Electric Skillet with Glass Lid
What we loved the most about this electric skillet by De’Longhi is the fact that both the lid and the skillet base are completely immersible, which means they can also go in the dishwasher!
Cleaning up an electric skillet has really never been easier. The body of the skillet is made of aluminum, and you can easily adjust the temperature precisely using the temperature control wheel. Another special feature on this electric skillet is the adjustable steam vent holes.
You can close them to keep the moisture and flavors in or open them if the fish you are cooking requires the steam to evaporate.
- The embedded heating element guarantees the most efficient and even cooking in the shortest time
- Non-stick surface, External dimensions (l x w x h inches):19.29 x 11.81 x 8.47
- Adjustable steam vent holes for an easy steam evaporation, Rated voltage/Frequency (V~Hz):110-120 V
- Easy-to-clean with dishwasher-safe lid and non-stick skillet base; Simply place in the dishwasher for fast and convenient cleaning
- Die Cast Aluminum body, Input power (W):1500
NESCO ES-08, 8-inch Electric Skillet
This electric skillet by NESCO features a square cooking surface that is 8 inches long and 8 inches wide coupled with 1800 watts of power. The die-cast aluminum pan is 2 inches deep, which allows you to use it for anything from making eggs to making a small pot roast.
What we especially loved about this skillet is the tempered glass lid that allows you to see what’s going on in the pan without removing it. Both the skillet base and the lid are dishwasher safe.
- 8-Inch electric skillet with deep interior for roasting or frying
- Easy to read, adjustable temperature control
- Nonstick interior for easy cleanup
- Sturdy glass lid with stay cool handle and safety vent
- Wash the skillet with a soft soapy dish cloth. Rinse well and dry. Do not immerse skillet in water or place in dishwasher. Only the lid is dishwasher safe.
Best Carbon Steel Skillets
De Buyer MINERAL B Round Carbon Steel Fry Pan, 12.5 inches
Made in France by De Buyer, this carbon steel skillet may easily become your best friend in the kitchen! This pan measures 12.6 inches in diameter, which means it’s quite large and also rather heavy (it weighs 6.3. pounds).
However, it has a long handle on one side and a helper handle on the other so handling the weight shouldn’t be too much of a problem. The long handle is tightly secured with three rivets and slightly raised than curved, which is a characteristic of traditional French design and quite comfortable to use too.
The pan itself is made of 99% pure iron, so it works with induction cooktops too. Finally, De Buyer covers their carbon steel pans with beeswax before shipping in order to protect the pans from oxidations and ensure they are in a perfect condition when they get to you.
- 100-Percent Natural and 99-Percent Pure Iron
- Bee Wax was discovered by deBuyer as a by-product in nature to help protect these pans against oxidation and assist in seasoning
- Without PTFE or PFOA and no chemicals added; naturally non-stick after seasoning
- Made in France
- Product has two handles
Matfer Bourgeat 062005 Frying Pan
Matfer Bourgeat is a French family-owned company best known for making copper cookware. However, they are always focused on innovation and making new products that are convenient and functional in modern kitchens.
This is why the Matfer Bourgeat 062005 Frying Pan was created. Made of carbon steel, this pan provides amazing performance. It weighs only 4 pounds, and if seasoned properly it can be amazingly non-stick.
Finally, a firmly attached steel handle ensures that you can use this pan for years to come without any problems.
- Diameter 11 7/8", Height 2 1/8"
- Weight : 4 lbs. 11 oz
- For all hob types
- Can be "seasoned" for non stick use and prolonged life
Lodge 12 Inch Seasoned Carbon Steel Skillet
This piece from Lodge is another amazing carbon steel skillet. Made in the USA, it’s lighter than cast iron pans but still provides amazing heat retention while being more flexible at the same time.
This pan is suitable to be used on extremely high temperatures, and unlike some other pans, it won’t warp no matter what you do to it. The Lodge 12 Inch Seasoned Carbon Steel Skillet can also be used on all kinds of cooktops.
It needs to be hand washed, though, but if you season it properly you’ll get an amazing non-stick surface without any harmful chemicals.
- Takes high heat for best browning/searing
- 12 gauge carbon steel heats quickly and retains heat for even cooking
- Brutally tough for decades of cooking. Steel riveted handle
- Use on gas, electric, induction stovetops, outdoor grills or open fire
- Refer user guide below before using the product .Made in the USA