Hey! This site is reader-supported and we earn commissions if you purchase products from retailers after clicking on a link from our site.
A kitchen without a good skillet is – well, it is really not a kitchen. Whether youâ€™re making breakfast, lunch, or dinner, using an electric cooktop or an induction cooktop, whatever dish you decide to make, there is a good chance youâ€™ll need a skillet at some point.
Having a good quality skillet at hand can make cooking much more enjoyable. For this reason, weâ€™ve tested and reviewed all of the most popular skillets to create this guide on best skillets in every category.
No matter if you are looking for a non-stick skillet, an electric one, or maybe a cast iron one, youâ€™ll certainly find something you like on this list.
Best Oven-Safe SkilletsInvalid table id.
All-Clad BD55403 Unisex D5 Brushed 3-Quart Stainless Steel Skillet With Lid
This beautiful skillet from All-Clad features five alternating layers of stainless steel and aluminum. The stainless steel exterior makes the pan durable, resistant to damage, and dishwasher-safe, while the inside aluminum layer provides superior heat conductivity.
Most importantly, the pan is completely oven-safe since all parts are made of metal, including the stainless steel lid. When we say completely, we mean up to 600 degrees Fahrenheit, according to the manufacturerâ€™s instructions, but no household oven goes beyond this temperature which means it would be very hard to ruin this pan.
- A versatile piece featuring a large surface area for searing, with straight sides to hold in liquid and prevent splattering and lid to lock in moisture
- 5-ply bonded construction with alternating layers of stainless steel and aluminum for warp-free durability and supremely even heating that eliminates hotspots
- For an added touch of refinement, it features a beautiful and easy to maintain brushed finish and fitted, stainless-steel lids
- Compatible with all cooktops and optimized performance for induction tops - also oven and broiler-safe up to 600°F
- Heat-resistant stainless-steel handles, designed a comfortable grip and permanently secured with stainless-steel rivets, and flared rims for drip-free pouring
Lodge L10CF3 Cast Iron Covered Deep Skillet
When it comes to dishes that require transferring the pan from the stovetop into the oven, cast iron is definitely one of the best materials to go with. Cast iron is known for its heat retention properties – once it gets hot, it stays hot for a long time.
This allows you to maintain a stable temperature in the pan when the recipe requires starting on the stovetop and finishing in the oven.
The Lodge L10CF3 Cast Iron Covered Deep Skillet is the perfect example of a versatile cast iron pan. This heavy-bodied pan is 12 inches wide and 4.5 inches deep which makes it suitable for a variety of dishes made both on the stovetop and in the oven.
It has a long handle on one side and a small helper handle on the other. It also comes with a nice cast iron lid. Both the lid and the pan are completely oven safe. This skillet also comes pre-seasoned so you can use it right out of the box.
- Can be used to saute, sear, fry, bake, & stir fry
- Foundry seasoned; ready to use upon purchase
- Safe for all cooking surfaces, grills, & campfires
- Assist handle for easier handling
- Lid included
Cuisinart 625-30D Chef’s Classic Nonstick Hard-Anodized 12-Inch Everyday Pan with Medium Dome Cover
The cooking surface has a special non-stick finish that is PFOA-free and reinforced with titanium. Unlike many other non-stick pans, this one is actually oven-safe up to 500 degrees Fahrenheit, thanks to the reinforced non-stick coating.
This pan is 12 inches wide, which is a nice size for everyday cooking. This pan does not have a long handle like most skillets have. Instead, it has two loop handles on the sides. The loop handles make it easier to place the pan in the oven, but otherwise, it is just like a regular pan.
A domed lid made of tempered glass with stainless steel rims and handle is also included.
- EXCEPTIONAL DESIGN: Enjoy professional performance with hard anodized exterior, unsurpassed heat distribution and quantanium nonstick for professional results
- PREMIUM COOKING: Constructed to last. Drip-free pouring– Flavor Lock Lid
- EXCEPTIONAL HANDLING: Cool grip handles are solid stainless steel riveted handles that stay cool on the stove top and provide a safe a solid grip
- CLEAN UP: Easy clean up with hot soapy water and a non abrasive scrub pad
- LIMITED-LIFETIME WARRANTY: Refer to user manual for troubleshooting steps and questions surrounding warranty policies – this product is BPA free
Best Stainless Steel SkilletsInvalid table id.
All-Clad 41126 Stainless Steel Fry Pan with Lid
This skillet from All-Clad is made of stainless steel with an aluminum core sandwiched between the stainless steel layers. This means you get the sturdiness of stainless steel and the heat responsiveness of aluminum all in one.
The cooking surface is highly polished and features a special starburst finish that helps prevent food from sticking to the pan. It is really as close as you can get to a non-stick coating without actual coatings, and since itâ€™s stainless steel, it will last virtually forever.
This All-Clad 41126 Stainless Steel Fry Pan is also dishwasher safe, compatible with induction stovetops, and oven-safe up to 600 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Manufactured in Belgium
- Impressive 7-ply construction
- Patented Silvinox surface treatment—stainless steel maintains silvery finish, resists fingerprints and is easy to clean
- Flat base stability — pan won't warp when heated
- Stay-cool 18/10 stainless steel handles are securely welded and extremely hygienic.Compatible on all cooking surfaces, including induction - TriplInduc is 30% more efficient on induction than competitors.Dishwasher safe.Oven and broiler safe up to 500F
Demeyere Proline 5 Star 11 Inch Fry Pan
The Demeyere Proline 5 Star 11 Inch Fry Pan is truly what you call a top-of-the-line skillet. It works beautifully on all kinds of stovetops, including induction. Thanks to the stainless steel exterior, this pan not only looks beautiful, but itâ€™s also very durable and almost impossible to scratch.
You can wash it in the dishwasher, use metal utensils with it, or scrub by hand as much as you like if it gets really dirty – itâ€™s pretty much indestructible. All of its parts, including the handles, are made of stainless steel, which also makes it completely dishwasher safe.
Moreover, this Demeyere skillet is actually three-layered. There is an aluminum layer sandwiched between the stainless steel internal and external layers. Since aluminum is a very good heat conductor, this allows the pan to heat up quickly and evenly.
The aluminum layer goes all the way up to the sides of the skillet too, which is not always the case.
- EXCEPTIONAL DESIGN: Enjoy mirror finish, classic look and professional performance. Aluminum encapsulated base heats quickly and spreads heat evenly– eliminating hot spots
- PREMIUM COOKING: Stainless steel cooking surface does not discolor, react with food or alter flavors– drip free pouring, and flavor lock lid
- EXCEPTIONAL HANDLING: Cool grip handles are solid stainless steel riveted handles that stay cool on the stove top and provide a safe a solid grip
- CLEAN UP: Dishwasher safe for an easy clean up
- LIFETIME WARRANTY: Refer to user manual for troubleshooting steps and questions surrounding warranty policies – this product is BPA free
Cuisinart 722-36H Chef’s Classic Stainless 14-Inch Open Skillet with Helper Handle
This stainless steel skillet from Cuisinart is simple, functional, and reasonably priced. Itâ€™s a good choice for those looking for quality stainless steel cookware on a tight budget. Despite the lower price, it is not much different from the two skillets we mentioned above.
The exterior and the interior are made of 18/10 stainless steel, as is the handle, while the inner core is made of aluminum for better heat conduction. With a diameter of 14 inches, this pan is quite large, but we know many cooks enjoy cooking with larger skillets.
Moreover, the Cuisinart 722-36H Chef’s Classic Stainless features a nice helper handle along with the classic long handle, so youâ€™ll surely be able to lift it securely despite the size.
- Premium 12-inch stainless steel fry pan with a lid, featuring a durable and versatile tri-ply construction for even heat distribution and retention, making it perfect for various cooking techniques.
- Fast and Even Heat - D3 tri-ply is fully bonded to the rim for professional performance & durability. The high quality 18/10 stainless steel surface sears to perfection and is ideal to deglaze for pan sauces.
- Design You Will Love - D3 has a professionally polished stainless steel finish. Our classic, double riveted stainless steel handles ensure a secure grip.
- Built to Last - Trusted by generations of chefs and backed by All-Clad's Limited Lifetime Warranty. Our cookware is oven & broiler safe up to 600°F and compatible with any stovetop, including induction. Handwashing is recommended.
- Bonded, Engineered, & Assembled in Canonsburg, PA - USA Since 1971.
Best Cast Iron SkilletsInvalid table id.
Lodge L8SK3 10.25 inch Cast Iron Skillet
Lodge is a company with 120 years of experience in making cast iron cookware and they really know how to make a pan that will last for years and this is certainly true when it comes to the Lodge L8SK3 10.25 inch Cast Iron Skillet.
This is a classic cast iron skillet – simple, but still amazing, and amazingly affordable. It has two pouring spouts on the sides to prevent any spilling, a long handle on one side (not too long though, which allows the pan to easily fit in the oven), and a helper handle on the other side.
The handles do get hot, though, but Lodge also makes a silicon handle cover that gives the ability to hold the handle without oven mitts.
With cast iron skillets, the seasoning can make all the difference in the world. Luckily, this skillet comes pre-seasoned, and the seasoning doesnâ€™t contain any synthetic coatings or chemicals either. Instead, itâ€™s seasoned only with vegetable oil.
- YOUR NEW GO-TO PAN: Lodge cast iron cookware is the perfect kitchen tool for beginners, home cooks and chefs. Cast iron can handle any kitchen cooktop, oven, grill and open flame. Crafted in America with iron and oil, its naturally seasoned cooking surface creates an easy-release and improves with use.
- SEASONED COOKWARE: Seasoning is simply oil baked into the iron, giving it a natural, easy-release finish and helps prevent your pan from rusting. Lodge pre-seasons all cast iron cookware with 100% natural vegetable oil; no synthetic coatings or chemicals. The more you use Lodge the better the seasoning will get!
- RUST? DON’T PANIC! IT’S NOT BROKEN: When your pan arrives you may notice a spot that looks like rust. It’s simply oil that has not fully carbonized. With regular use and care the spot will disappear. If you do notice rust simply scour the affected area with steel wool, rinse, dry and rub with vegetable oil.
- COOKING VERSATILITY: Our skillets have unparalleled heat retention that gives you edge-to-edge even cooking every time you use your skillet. Cast iron cookware is slow to heat up but retains heat longer which makes cast iron ideal for pan-frying and roasting. These delicious moments are cast to last.
- FAMILY-OWNED. Lodge is more than just a business; it’s a family. The Lodge family founded the company in 1896, and they still own it today. From environmental responsibility to community development, their heads and hearts are rooted in America. Lodge products are made in the USA with non-toxic, PFOA & PTFE free material.
T-fal E83407 Pre-Seasoned Nonstick Durable Cast Iron Skillet
Most cast iron skillets look similar, and this is simply because you canâ€™t go wrong with the classic design. This cast iron skillet from T-fal looks quite similar to the Lodge skillet we previously mentioned, but itâ€™s a bit larger, measuring 12 inches in diameter.
Cast iron is quite heavy, so it shouldnâ€™t surprise you that this pan weighs as much as 9 pounds which equals to 4 kilograms. Cast iron skillets simply need to be as heavy, since a thick layer of cast iron is necessary for the amazing heat retention this pan provides.
It shouldnâ€™t be too hard to handle it, though, since there is a nice, long, well-balanced handle on one side and a helper handle on the opposite side.
- Dress up grilled steak; fish and veggies with authentic restaurant stripes which is perfect for browning; searing; flying and saut?Ing
- Large; extra long handle with easy to grip side helper handles and signature thumb rest for easy handling
- Comes pre seasoned for first use and includes step by step instructions for seasoning case
- Heats evenly and consistently, as cast iron is the best material for heat retention and distribution; oven safe up to 600 degree fahrenheit and is pfoa free and cadmium free
- Pouring spouts allow for controlled transfer of contents
Utopia Kitchen Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron Skillet
Utopia Kitchen Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron Skillet is another beautiful classic cast iron skillet. This one is even larger than the previous one – measuring 12.5 inches in diameter. However, it is also slightly lighter, weigh 8 pounds altogether.
Therefore, you might want to opt for this one if you find the weight of cast iron pans problematic. The sides of the pan are gently sloping towards the bottom, but not too much.
On one side, the pan has a long, well-balanced handle, while on the other side it has a helper handle for easier lifting.
- These Cast iron skillet are suitable for both stovetop and oven for evenly cooking variety of different meals; Cast iron cookware is less smoother than the Non-Stick cookware
- Hand wash before first use and dry immediately; rub with a light coating of vegetable oil after every wash
- Iron deficiency is fairly common worldwide especially among women so cooking food in a cast iron skillet can increase iron content by as much as 20%
- Its superior heat retention will keep your mouth watering food warm for a long time
- Allow cast iron skillet to cool completely before washing them in hot soapy water with a sponge using a regular dish washing liquid soap; it is not dishwasher-safe
Best Non-Stick SkilletsInvalid table id.
Tramontina 80114/535DS Professional Aluminum Nonstick Restaurant Fry Pan
This pan from Tramontina is one of the most rugged non-stick pans available. Non-stick pans have a reputation of being flimsy and not very durable, but with this skillet, this is certainly not true!
Itâ€™s made of heavy-gauge commercial-grade aluminum that can definitely withstand everyday use in the kitchen. The Tramontina 80114/535DS Professional Aluminum Nonstick Restaurant Fry Pan also features a beautiful brushed finish on the outside and a securely riveted stainless steel handle with a silicone grip.
The silicone remains cool to the touch on the stove, while the fact that you can remove it makes it much easier to clean the pan.
Most importantly, the cooking surface of this skillet is covered with a non-stick coating that doesnâ€™t contain any harmful chemicals. There is no PFOA, lead, or cadmium, which means your food will remain safe even when used at high temperatures.
- NSF-Certified commercial-grade 3004 heavy-gauge aluminum
- High-performance reinforced PFOA-free nonstick, dishwasher-safe
- Works with gas, electric and ceramic glass, oven-safe (400 F / 204 C)
- Tramontina Item # 80114/535DS - UPC 16017041318
- Lifetime Warranty
Calphalon 1948259 Signature Hard Anodized Nonstick Omelet Pan
This convenient pan from Calphalon is made of heavy-gauge aluminum which allows the pan to heat up really quickly and cool down just as fast, resulting in amazingly precise temperature control.
It also boasts a hard anodized exterior finish which makes this pan twice as durable as regular aluminum pans. The inside surface is covered with a non-stick coating and youâ€™ll be glad to know that it is PFOA-free which means there are no harmful chemicals released even at high temperatures.
The coating is also dishwasher safe and it wonâ€™t get damaged by metal utensils which is always a good thing. Finally, Calphalon 1948259 Signature Hard Anodized Nonstick Omelet Pan comes with a handle made of stainless steel with a brushed finish that remains cool on the stove top. It is a small detail, but not irrelevant!
Overall, a great, versatile pan that youâ€™ll most likely use every single day.
- Built to last, with a 1.5x more durable nonstick interior (vs Calphalon Classic)
- Heavy-gauge, hard-anodized aluminum construction heats evenly for precision cooking and performance
- Oven-safe up to 500 degrees F, so you can easily go from stovetop to the oven
- Metal-utensil-safe, with a durable, PFOA-free, 3-layer nonstick interior
- Stainless steel long handles stay cool on the stovetop
Cuisinart 622-30G Chef’s Classic Nonstick Hard-Anodized 12-Inch Skillet with Glass Cover
This non-stick skillet from Cuisinart is a bestseller on Amazon, and this is certainly not a coincidence. In fact, this skillet is simple and affordable, but it comes with all the necessary features you need in a non-stick skillet.
Itâ€™s made of hard anodized aluminum which makes it durable and impact resistant, complemented with a stainless steel handle and a nice lid made of tempered glass. Moreover, the non-stick coating on this pan is reinforced with quantanium, which makes it amazingly durable. The pan is also oven-safe up to 500 degrees Fahrenheit.
It also features a nice rolled rim that prevents dripping.
- EXCEPTIONAL DESIGN: The 12-inch nonstick skillet has sloped sides which deliver perfect performance and maximize cooking surface. The hard anodized is harder than stainless steel and is dense, nonporous and highly wear-resistant for extra durability and professional performance. Tapered slopes also provide a drip-free pour
- COOKING AND CLEANING: Proprietary Quantanium nonstick interior is reinforced with titanium and provides lasting food release, healthily nonfat cooking option, and easy clean up. You really have endless cooking possibilities with the help of unsurpassed heat distribution, that will heat up quickly and spread evenly. Oven safe up to 500 degrees F
- EXCEPTIONAL HANDLING: This piece has a cool grip handle which are solid stainless steel riveted stick handles that stay cool on the stove top and provide a safe a solid grip
- WARRANTY: Lifetime warranty
- Given diameter is outer diameter
Best Electric SkilletsInvalid table id.
Precise Heat KTES4 16-Inch Rectangular Surgical Stainless Steel Electric Skillet
Electric skillets are great because you can use them to cook literally anywhere where there is a power outlet. However, we have found that the Precise Heat KTES4 16-Inch Rectangular Surgical Stainless Steel Electric Skillet is also quite useful when used in the kitchen as an extension of your stove.
The cooking surface is 16 inches long and 11 inches wide, which equals to an extra large frying pan. For this reason, you can use it to cook multiple foods at once. The cooking surface and the lid are made of 100% stainless steel which means there are no coatings to worry about.
The electric cord is removable so you can easily wash it in the sink, and it is super easy to clean!
- The Precise Heat 16" Rectangular T304 Stainless Steel Electric Skillet is the one kitchen appliance you will find yourself using again and again
- Use as an extension of your stove, and prepare meals anywhere there is an electric outlet
- Large 16” x 11” x 2 1/4” cooking surface allows for cooking multiple foods at once
- Features non-slip feet, durable, insulated handles, and adjustable temperature control
- Stainless steel lid cover to keep food warm and also protect skillet during storage
De’Longhi BG45 Electric Skillet with Glass Lid
What we loved the most about this electric skillet by Deâ€™Longhi is the fact that both the lid and the skillet base are completely immersible, which means they can also go in the dishwasher!
Cleaning up an electric skillet has really never been easier. The body of the skillet is made of aluminum, and you can easily adjust the temperature precisely using the temperature control wheel. Another special feature on this electric skillet is the adjustable steam vent holes.
You can close them to keep the moisture and flavors in or open them if the fish you are cooking requires the steam to evaporate.
- The embedded heating element guarantees the most efficient and even cooking in the shortest time
- Non-stick surface, External dimensions (l x w x h inches):19.29 x 11.81 x 8.47
- Adjustable steam vent holes for an easy steam evaporation, Rated voltage/Frequency (V~Hz):110-120 V
- Easy-to-clean with dishwasher-safe lid and non-stick skillet base; Simply place in the dishwasher for fast and convenient cleaning
- Die Cast Aluminum body, Input power (W):1500
NESCO ES-08, 8-inch Electric Skillet
This electric skillet by NESCO features a square cooking surface that is 8 inches long and 8 inches wide coupled with 1800 watts of power. The die-cast aluminum pan is 2 inches deep, which allows you to use it for anything from making eggs to making a small pot roast.
What we especially loved about this skillet is the tempered glass lid that allows you to see whatâ€™s going on in the pan without removing it. Both the skillet base and the lid are dishwasher safe.
- 8-Inch electric skillet with deep interior for roasting or frying
- Easy to read, adjustable temperature control
- Nonstick interior for easy cleanup
- Sturdy glass lid with stay cool handle and safety vent
- Wash the skillet with a soft soapy dish cloth. Rinse well and dry. Do not immerse skillet in water or place in dishwasher. Only the lid is dishwasher safe.
Best Carbon Steel SkilletsInvalid table id.
De Buyer MINERAL B Round Carbon Steel Fry Pan, 12.5 inches
Made in France by De Buyer, this carbon steel skillet may easily become your best friend in the kitchen! This pan measures 12.6 inches in diameter, which means itâ€™s quite large and also rather heavy (it weighs 6.3. pounds).
However, it has a long handle on one side and a helper handle on the other so handling the weight shouldnâ€™t be too much of a problem. The long handle is tightly secured with three rivets and slightly raised than curved, which is a characteristic of traditional French design and quite comfortable to use too.
The pan itself is made of 99% pure iron, so it works with induction cooktops too. Finally, De Buyer covers their carbon steel pans with beeswax before shipping in order to protect the pans from oxidations and ensure they are in a perfect condition when they get to you.
- CARBON STEEL FRY PAN - The MINERAL B Fry Pan is perfect for searing meat, sauteing vegetables, reheating leftovers, or cooking eggs. It’s made of carbon steel, which is one of the most natural cooking materials, praised by chefs around the world.
- NATURALLY NONSTICK - Lighter than cast iron & more heat conductive than stainless steel, this fry pan becomes naturally nonstick after seasoning—without any chemicals or synthetic coating—and gets better the more you use it.
- HOW TO USE - Follow our instructions on first use to wash off the beeswax & season the pan. Hand wash only & avoid harsh soaps that can strip the seasoning. Can be used on all cooking surfaces, including induction. Oven safe for up to 10 min at 400F.
- ROOTED IN FRENCH CULINARY TRADITION - We design and manufacture premium kitchen accessories, pastry equipment, and cooking utensils, continuously innovating to meet the needs of catering professionals and home cooks alike.
Matfer Bourgeat 062005 Frying Pan
Matfer Bourgeat is a French family-owned company best known for making copper cookware. However, they are always focused on innovation and making new products that are convenient and functional in modern kitchens.
This is why the Matfer Bourgeat 062005 Frying Pan was created. Made of carbon steel, this pan provides amazing performance. It weighs only 4 pounds, and if seasoned properly it can be amazingly non-stick.
Finally, a firmly attached steel handle ensures that you can use this pan for years to come without any problems.
- AMERICA'S TEST KITCHEN TOP-RATED CARBON STEEL FRY PAN: The pan that "has it all." Brings top-notch heat distribution and temperature control, preserving the vitamins and nutrients in your foods, making it excellent for searing meats, browning omelets, grilling fish, and cooking a wide range of dishes, even desserts
- NATURAL NON-STICK MATERIAL: Made of of black carbon steel, a natural mineral material promoting healthy cooking making this pan free of any harsh chemicals or coatings, PTFE and PFOA free , and once seasoned, becomes exceedingly non-stick
- DURABLE CONSTRUCTION: The steel handle is welded to pan's body for extra strength and security, is free of rivets, ensuring sanitary use and its angled design makes it ideal for easily sauteing, stirring, and mixing your dishes
- HIGHLY COMPATIBLE & VERSATILE: This steel pan can also withstand and maintain exceedingly high temperatures, as it can be used on all hob and stove types, including induction
- MADE IN FRANCE: Ensures high standards for durability, performance, and hygiene for both commercial and residential use
Lodge 12 Inch Seasoned Carbon Steel Skillet
This piece from Lodge is another amazing carbon steel skillet. Made in the USA, itâ€™s lighter than cast iron pans but still provides amazing heat retention while being more flexible at the same time.
This pan is suitable to be used on extremely high temperatures, and unlike some other pans, it wonâ€™t warp no matter what you do to it. The Lodge 12 Inch Seasoned Carbon Steel Skillet can also be used on all kinds of cooktops.
It needs to be hand washed, though, but if you season it properly youâ€™ll get an amazing non-stick surface without any harmful chemicals.
- 14 GAUGE CARBON STEEL heats quickly and retains heat for even cooking; best for searing and browning
- Use on gas, electric, induction stovetops, outdoor grills or open fire, Made with nontoxic, PFOA & PTFE free material
- Seasoned with oil for a natural, easy-release finish that improves with use. Its lightweight design and long, comfortable handle makes it easy to maneuver from the stove to the table
- Easy care: hand wash, dry immediately, rub with cooking oil
- Made in USA; Approx. 12" diameter rim to rim/9.875" bottom