Hey! This site is reader-supported and we earn commissions if you purchase products from retailers after clicking on a link from our site.
It’s not always easy to find enough space to accommodate a huge grill. Luckily, this is really not necessary in order to enjoy an afternoon around the grill. In today’s guide, we’ve compiled a list of 6 best small grills you can find. No matter if you are looking for a backyard grill that won’t take up a lot of space or something you can put in your RV or take on a camping trip, you should be able to find the perfect grill for you on this list.
Table of Contents
In a hurry? This is our winner!
6 Best Small Grills – Comparison Table
6 Best Small Grills – Reviews
Weber Q1200 is definitely one of the most popular portable propane grills. This is because this compact grill performs great every time while also being easy to use. It’s a simple grill with a unique design and every single piece is made to be functional and durable.
Let’s start with the cookbox and hood. They are both made cast aluminum, covered with a heat-resistant coating. The bottom part of the grill always comes in black, but you can choose the color of the lid. There are 7 bright colors you can choose from, so you can really personalize your grill.
Inside the cookbox, you’ll find a single stainless steel burner that offers 8500 BTU-per-hour. The burner tube is circular which allows it the grill to heat really evenly, even though it has only a single burner. Above the burner, you’ll find two quality grilling grates that offer a total of 189 square inches of cooking space. The grilling grates are made of cast iron, which is simply the best choice of material for grilling grates. Cast iron retains heat and radiates it into your food, thus making the temperature more stable and creating beautiful sear marks on your grill. The cast iron grates are covered with a porcelain enamel coating that makes them much easier to clean.
The Weber Q1200 also comes with its own little table-top or ground level stand that also includes two useful side tables. With the lid open and side tables out, this grill is a little over 40 inches wide and almost 25 inches high.
- One stainless steel burner produces 8500 BTU-per-hour to heat 189 square-inch total cooking area. Dimensions - Lid Open and Tables Out (inches)-24.6 H x 40.9 W x 20.5 D. Lid Closed and Tables Out (inches)-15.5 H x 40.9 W x 16.5 D
- Porcelain-enameled cast-iron cooking grates and cast aluminum lid and body
- Fully assembled out of box. Battery type: AAA
- Easy-start electronic ignition and infinite control burner valve settings
- Uses disposable 14.1 or 16.4 oz LP cylinder (sold separately).Glass-reinforced nylon frame
- Great performance
- Sturdy but lightweight construction
- Compact and portable
- Easy to use
- No assembly required
- A little pricey for a small grill
The Lodge L410 Outdoor Grill (also sometimes called the Lodge Sportsman’s Grill) is a rare find. You just can’t find grills that are made completely made of cast iron these days. Well, this one is. Just good old cast iron.
But why would you want a grill that’s made of cast iron? Well, cast iron is not only amazingly durable, but it also has unmatched heat retention properties. Once cast iron gets hot, it stays hot. This means that the whole body of the grill (including the cooking grates) will start radiating heat into your food, thus cooking it evenly. The cast iron grilling grates are also great for achieving the perfect sear on your meat. Get the grill really hot, and you’ll get the perfect sear marks on your steaks, for example.
Now, this is a hibachi-style charcoal grill. This means it’s really small and designed to fit right onto the table. The cooking surface is a little more than 17 inches long and 9 inches wide. To give you an idea of the size – this will fit 8 burgers if they are placed really close together.
Overall, this is a cute and functional grill. You can use it in your backyard, you can use it right at the table when eating, or you can take it camping. Just keep in mind that this grill is quite heavy despite the small size. It weighs 27 pounds.
No products found.
- Strong and durable construction
- Simple and effective grill
- Cast iron retains heat and stabilizes the temperature
- Good airflow control
- Getting the right temp with this grill does take some practice
The George Foreman 15-Serving Indoor/Outdoor Electric Grill is the perfect choice for those who’d like a no-hassle grilling experience. No need to worry about fuel, all you need is a power outlet. This grill also has a non-stick cooking surface that makes cleanup a breeze.
Electric grills come in all sizes, but we think the George Foreman GGR50B grill is a good universal option. Realistically, it is a small grill, but it still offers enough space to cook comfortably. This circular grill measures 16.5 inches in diameter, which means it’s not overly large, but it also allows you to cook for larger groups of people when necessary.
One great thing about electric grills is that there is no open flame, so there is much less chance of any accidents happening. In addition to this, this grill also comes with a stylish lid which is not that common for electric grills. The lid has a stay-cool handle on top and a vent that you can adjust in order to control the moisture inside the grill when the lid is on which is great.
The George Foreman 15-Serving Indoor/Outdoor Electric Grill also comes with its own stable stand. The stand brings your grill to a height that’s comfortable for cooking, but if you’d rather use it on a table that’s an option too.
- George Tough Nonstick Coating - There's a lot to love about this nonstick coating; it's durable, easy to clean, and removes the need for butter and oil
- Indoor or Outdoor Removable Stand - Don't let the weather keep you from the glory of grilling; the easy-to-remove stand takes you from patio to countertop in no time
- Adjustable Temperature Control - The temperature probe lets you choose from five heat settings to get the best results on any kind of food
- Apartment-Approved - Your landlord will love this grill just as much as you do because the fully electric system gives you high-quality grilling with no charcoal, no propane, and no flare-ups
- Included components: Use And Care Manuals
- Easy to assemble and use
- Stand included but not necessary
- Can be used both indoors and outdoors
- Nonstick cooking surface is easy to clean
- Good value for money
- The non-stick grilling surface might wear out over time
Cuisinart is a well-known and respected name in the world of kitchen appliances and cookware. However, they are usually not the first brand we turn to when looking for quality grills. However, Cuisinart has started putting out a line of outdoor cooking equipment over the past couple of years and so far they are doing great! The Cuisinart CCG190RB Portable Charcoal Grill is a small charcoal grill that can definitely compete with the most popular names on the market.
This is a round grill, and it looks somewhat like a bowl with a lid. The round grill has a cooking grate that measures 14 inches in diameter. This effectively gives you 150 square inches of cooking space to work with. This means that the grill is small enough that you can use it on your table or take it anywhere you want with you. It’s great for cooking for one person grilling or two people, but it can actually accommodate more.
For example, this grill is perfect for Korean-style BBQ gatherings where all the guests grill their meat right at the table. The grill comes with its own little stand that consists of three legs. An ash-catching plate is mounted onto those legs underneath the grill. This allows you to use the grill right at the table without the ashes flying everywhere.
Other than that, the design of this grill is simple, but effective. There is a porcelain-coated firebox inside, and a chrome-coated cooking rack. The lid fits nicely on the grill and you can lock it securely in place when you want to move the grill.
- 196-SQUARE-INCH CHROME PLATED GRATE: The 196-square-inch chrome plated cooking rack gives a spacious cooking surface is able accommodate lots of food at one time while still distributing heat evenly and efficiently.
- DUAL VENTING SYSTEM: Features a Dual venting system, giving you the ultimate charcoal management and temperature control.
- THREE SECURE LID LOCKS: The grill features three secure lid locks for easy and safe transport.
- COMPACT ENOUGH TO TAKE ANYWHERE: Measures 14 x 14 x 15 inches and weighs only 2 lbs. , making it easy for transport and ideal for decks, patios and balconies, camping, tailgating and more.
- ENAMEL COATED FIREBOX AND ASH CATCHER: Features a durable enamel coated firebox and convenient mess-free ash catcher for safety and ease.
- Functional and well-made
- Compact and portable
- Good venting system
- Convenient ash catcher included
- Not the most stable grill
Okay, when you see “Jumbo” in the name of a grill, you probably don’t expect a small grill. However, we think this one does fit into the category. This round grill measures 18 inches (or 45 centimeters) in diameter. That’s enough space to fit approximately 8 burgers, just to give you an idea of the size. To be honest, it’s as small as you should go with a charcoal grill. Any smaller than that, and it will become hard to fit anything in, and you’ll just end up creating a mess everywhere around.
Weber is one of the biggest names in the world of charcoal grilling. The Jumbo Joe is one of their most popular grills and all these customers can’t be wrong. This is a classic bowl-shaped charcoal grill that can fit up to 8 burgers at a time.
What makes the Weber Jumbo Joe stand out among other similar products is the elegance and functionality of its design. For instance, the grilling grate is not only made of tough heavy gauge steel, but it is also hinged so you can access the coals without removing the whole rack.
Moreover, the bowl and lid are covered with a quality porcelain enamel coating that withstands even the highest temperatures as well as the test of time. On the top of the lid, there is an adjustable vent that lets you regulate the airflow. There is also a large, comfortable handle on the top of the lid that always stays cool to the touch. This is a tabletop grill, and it comes with its own little stand that is simple but stable. Overall, it’s one of the best kettle-style charcoal grills we’ve encountered.
- Travel with taste, or grill up a quick meal on your patio with the Jumbo Joe portable charcoal grill. The compact size with larger grilling area and convenient carry handle is perfect for any weekend getaway or spontaneous day at the beach. Combustion by-products produced when using this product contain chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer, birth defects, or other reproductive harm.
- Holds up to eight burgers made with a Weber burger press
- Compact and lightweight for grilling on the go
- Porcelain-enameled lid and bowl retain heat, and won’t rust or peel
- The Tuck-N-Carry lid lock doubles as a lid holder to avoid placing the lid on the ground
- Made with high quality materials
- Functional design
- Hinged cooking rack for easy access to the charcoal pit
- Good airflow control
- Lightweight and portable
- Overheats easily since it’s very small
As the name suggests, the Coleman RoadTrip 285 Portable Stand-Up Propane Grill is the perfect road trip grill. Not just for road trips, this grill is perfect for anyone who likes to move around a lot and have a grill always ready. Not only this, but this little grill also looks nice in any backyard or patio.
Now, this grill from Coleman proves that you don’t need to sacrifice anything in order to get a small grill. Even though it’s compact, this gill offers pretty much everything a full-sized gas grill does. There are three separate burners(neither one being the side burner) that give you a total of 20,000 BTU per hour of grilling power to heat up the 285 square inches of cooking space. Moreover, you can control each burner separately which allows you to create different heat zones. This is something you don’t usually find on such a small grill!
So far, we’ve established that this grill works awesome. However, we didn’t even get to mention the stand it stands on yet. Well, this grill comes with foldable legs and two sturdy foldable side tables. When you set up this grill, it looks just like a regular backyard grill, with 4 legs and two large wheels on two of them. However, you can fold this grill up in minutes, and then it looks just like a suitcase with wheels. It’s really the best portability system we’ve ever seen.
Finally, Coleman also offers a lot of opportunities to customize your grill. The grill transforms into a griddle (even the outdoor griddle) or a camping stove with additional cooktops you can buy separately. It also comes in 5 different colors, including black, blue, green, orange, and red.
- GRILLING POWER: Up to 20,000 total BTUs
- 3 ADJUSTABLE BURNERS: With improved burner technology for more precise temperature control
- LARGE GRILLING AREA: 285 sq. inches
- EASY SETUP: Sturdy quick-fold legs and wheels
- THERMOMETER: Integrated design for accurate temperature monitoring
- Compact but spacious
- Matchless ignition
- 3 separately controlled burners
- Overheats easily due to the size
6 Best Small Grills – Buyers Guide
When it comes to choosing a small grill, you actually have a lot of options to choose from. In the first instance, your choice will depend on where you want to use your grill. Are you looking for a small grill for your backyard or patio, or are you looking for something you can take with you in your RV or when going on a road trip? The answer to this question will also help you decide what type of grill you want to buy. When it comes to small grills, you basically have three choices: charcoal, gas, or electric (no hybrid grills in this category, unfortunately). Here is an overview of each of these types.
Charcoal grills are definitely the most traditional option when it comes to grills that are smaller in size. Charcoal grills are never that big to start with, but they can be really small too. Charcoal grills obviously involve using charcoal. To be honest, these is not the easiest or the fastest way to grill, but nothing can really match the taste of meat grilled over charcoal. The advantage of charcoal grills is that you can use them literally anywhere you like. Just bring a bag of charcoal and you’ll be ready to go. The downside is that the temperature control on charcoal grills is really not that flexible. Once you overheat this type of grill, you’re gonna have to wait for some time for it to cool down. But, it just takes some practice, and after that, grilling over charcoal is a really enjoyable experience.
Propane grills require propane bottles. However, these are lightweight, and you can take them anywhere, so you also have complete freedom when it comes to where you want to use your gas grill. When we talk about propane grills, we usually think about the huge 6-burner beasts, but there are actually plenty of small models available.
Finally, you can also opt for a small grill that uses only electricity. Electric grills are great for using in a backyard or patio. They save space, they are easy to store away, and there is never need to worry about the fuel. All you need is a power outlet and you are ready to go.
Hopefully, this guide has shown you that you really don’t have to settle for a flimsy grill with only the basic features if a small grill is what you are looking for. The Weber 51060001 Q1200 Liquid Propane Grill, for example, is a beautiful gas grill that is super small at the same time. On the other hand, if you prefer using charcoal for grilling, we recommend the Lodge L410 Outdoor Grill.
And if You are looking into the best infrared grill, or maybe the top grill for vegetarians, feel free to check our reviews.