In recent years, Korean BBQ seems to be taking the world by storm. While the concept originated in specialized Korean restaurants, there is actually no reason why you shouldn’t be able to do it at home. All you need is the right equipment and recipes along with a little bit of enthusiasm.
But what exactly is Korean BBQ? How exactly do you do it? What do you need to get started? There are many questions to answer, but don’t worry, we are here to answer them all.
We’ll start by reviewing the best grills and grill pans you can use to make Korean BBQ, but if you still have questions after that, take a look at our guide for setting up Korean BBQ at home at the bottom of the page!
Table of Contents
- 1 Best Grills For Korean BBQ
- 1.1 Best Electric Grill
- 1.2 Best Charcoal Grill
- 1.3 Best Gas Burner And Gas Cans For A Korean BBQ
- 2 Best Grill Pans For Korean BBQ
- 2.1 Best Stovetop Korean BBQ Grill Pan
- 2.2 Best Electric Korean BBQ Grill Pan
- 2.3 Best Gas Burner Korean BBQ Grill Pan
- 2.4 Best Charcoal Korean BBQ Grill Pan
- 2.5 Aluminum Thai Lao Korean Charcoal Barbecue Stove + BBQ Grill Topper
- 2.6 What is a Korean BBQ?
- 2.7 How To Set Up a Korean BBQ Party At Home
- 2.8 How To Choose a Korean BBQ Grill: Stovetop vs Electric vs Charcoal
- 2.9 What Is The Best Type Of Grill For a Korean BBQ At Home?
- 2.10 Recipes for your Korean BBQ Party
Best Grills For Korean BBQ
Weber 55020001 Q 2400 Electric Grill
The Weber 55020001 Q 2400 Electric Grill is a great choice if you are looking for an electric grill that is durable, powerful, and that you can also use to make Korean-style barbecue. Real Korean BBQ involves a grill that is placed at the center of the table, and with the Weber 55020001 Q 2400 Electric Grill this is certainly possible. The grill also includes a 6-food cord, so finding a power outlet that is close enough won’t be a problem.
We believe you’ll also find this grill performs great both for Korean BBQ and many other purposes. It is really well-made – there is no question about this. The body and the lid of the grill are made of cast aluminum, supported by a glass-reinforced nylon frame.
For Korean BBQ, you’ll want to keep the lid open, of course, but when it’s closed it preserves heat really well which is great for long, slow roasts. Overall, a great grill that can feed a whole party at once.
- 1560-watt electric heating element to heat 280 square-inch total cooking area
- Porcelain-enameled cast-iron cooking grates and cast aluminum lid and body
- .Dimensions (Inches) Lid Open : ( H x W x D) - 26 x 31.5 x 25.1(Inches); :Dimensions - Lid Closed (inches) 14.5 H x 31.5 W x 19.5 D
- Fully assembled out of box, Infinite control burner valve settings. Fuel type-Electric. Power-1,560 W/120 V
- 6-foot grounded cord. The appliance should be supplied through a residual current device (RCD) having a rated residual operating current not exceeding 30 mA
The grill heats up very quickly
Able to achieve temperatures that are quite high for an electric grill
Removable grease tray included
Can be placed on the table for a real Korean BBQ experience
No built-in thermometer
Techwood PRO Smokeless Grill Indoor/Outdoor Portable Electric BBQ Grill
The Techwood PRO Smokeless Grill Indoor/Outdoor Portable Electric BBQ Grill is another functional electric grill that can be used both indoors and outdoors, not to mention that it’s perfect for Korean BBQ, which is why it’s on this list, of course.
This grill features a circular design with a circular grilling area measuring 18 inches in diameter. It’s a self-contained unit, meaning you don’t need any extra equipment to start grilling. Just find a power outlet, plug it in, and you are ready to go. The cooking grates are made of porcelain-coated cast iron.
- [ FAST-HEATING] - Portable electric grill’s convenient design of the interlocking hood and bowl allow for rapid cycle heating, which allows to heat the meat more evenly and tasted more delicious. With the cool handle you can enjoy the barbecue everywhere.
- [ HIGH CAPACITY] - Techwood tabletop grill equipped with 240 square inches of circular grilling surface, which lets you make over 15 servings for large groups of people such as, and enjoy the delicious foods together!
- [ APARTMENT-APPROVED] - The smokeless grilll adopted excellent smoke-free design for indoor/outdoor, especially for apartments, patios, and other areas where charcoal or propane can’t be used, and the food rack is designed for food warm and storage. Cast iron premium cooking grates are rust-resistant and easy-to-clean.
- [ TEMPERATURE CONTROL] - The adjustable temperature controls make it easy to find the right amount of heat for whatever you create, Venting system can effectively dissipate heat and keep the steak tender and juicy. Porcelain-coated cast iron Premium cooking grates are rust-resistant and easy-to-clean
- [ GET YOURS NOW, RISK-FREE] -Techwood offer a outstanding 60-day hassle-free return policy & 36-month promise. We assure you that no other smokeless grill beats our products' high-caliber quality & efficiency. Our products are all covered by Product Liability Insurance of United States. For details, please refer to the instruction manual.
This means that the food won’t stick to the grates, they are quite easy to clean, and they conduct heat really evenly. Moreover, this grill from Techwood allows you to control the temperature of the grill with precision using a simple dial which is perfect for Korean BBQ parties where you might be grilling a range of different ingredients and need to adjust the temperature accordingly.
Portable and perfect for setting up on the table
Can be used indoors
Cooking surface is large enough even for big groups of people
Heats up quickly
Might be too large if you are looking for a grill to be used indoors
George Foreman GGR50B 15-Serving Indoor/Outdoor Electric Grill
The George Foreman GGR50B 15-Serving Indoor/Outdoor Electric Grill is another great unit that allows you to grill both indoors and outdoors. This is quite a large grill that allows you to make up to 15 servings at once. Perfect for Korean BBQ parties, but if you plan on entertaining only a few guests (or just yourself) it might be too large.
In terms of functionality, this grill really comes with everything you might need. When you buy it, you’ll also get a stand that allows the grill to stand on its own at counter-top level. The stand is removable, though, so you can use only the grilling unit and place it on the table for a real Korean BBQ feeling.
- 15+ Servings - It’s tailgate time! The 240 square inches of circular grilling surface lets you make over 15 servings for large groups of people ,Has Temperature Indicator Light
- George Tough Nonstick Coating - There’s a lot to love about this nonstick coating; it’s durable, easy to clean, and removes the need for butter and oil, Has Temperature Indicator Light
- Indoor/Outdoor Removable Stand - Don’t let the weather keep you from the glory of grilling; the easy-to-remove stand takes you from patio to countertop in no time. Adjustable Temperature Control - The temperature probe lets you choose from five heat settings to get the best results on any kind of food
- Apartment-Approved - Your landlord will love this grill just as much as you do because the fully electric system gives you high-quality grilling with no charcoal, no propane, and no flare-ups
- Tip-can control moisture of foods, to some extent, by opening or closing lid vent. Turn lid handle or vent clockwise to open vent for drier cooking. Turn counterclockwise to hold in moisture for moister meats. Light on temperature control probe will cycle on and off as grill thermostat maintains proper temperature. This is normal operation. Note-condensation may collect on inside of lid when cooking.Approx. 38 inches high including pedestal
Heats up quickly and maintains even temperature across the cooking surface
Approved for indoor use
A stand is included but also removable, so you can use this grill on the table too
Features a temperature indicator light
The stand that comes with this grill is prone to cracking on the surface, but this doesn’t affect the functionality
Can’t produce extremely high heat
Best Charcoal Grill
Weber 10020 Smokey Joe 14-Inch Portable Grill
The Weber 10020 Smokey Joe 14-Inch Portable Grill is a classic charcoal grill made in a relatively small size. Even though the grill is quite compact, it offers you a circular grilling space with a diameter of 14 inches, which is quite enough for a Korean BBQ for up to 5 or 6 people.
This grill is also rather lightweight so it’s quite easy to set it up in the middle of the table for your Korean BBQ party.
The Weber 10020 Smokey Joe features a porcelain-enameled body and lid that conserve heat really well and make this grill really efficient. Moreover, although the lid is really useful for slow roasts, it is also completely removable which is perfect for Korean BBQ where everyone is grilling their own food.
Overall, it’s a great solution for setting up a Korean BBQ party at home.
- Holds up to five burgers made with a Weber burger press
- Compact and lightweight for grilling on the go
- Porcelain-enameled lid and bowl retain heat, and won’t rust or peel
- Dampers allow you to easily control the temperature inside your grill
- Durable plated steel cooking grate retains heat and is easy to clean. Dimensions - Lid closed 17 H x 14.2 W x 14.5 D inches
Compact and lightweight
Retains heat really well and maintains a stable temperature
Durable cooking grates that retain heat and give you beautiful grill marks
No handles on the sides to help you move the grill when it’s hot
Cuisinart CCG-190RB Portable Charcoal Grill
The Cuisinart CCG-190RB Portable Charcoal Grill is another nice and affordable solution if you are looking for something that will allow you to make Korean BBQ over charcoal. One of the best things about this grill is how lightweight it is – it weighs only 2 pounds!
This grill is also equipped with all you would expect from a charcoal grill – a nice firebox, cooking grates, and a lid. There is also an ash catcher at the bottom which is a really nice feature for Korean BBQ, as there will be no mess if you put this grill on the table.
- 150-SQUARE-INCH CHROME PLATED GRATE: The 150-square-inch chrome plated cooking rack gives a spacious cooking surface is able accommodate lots of food at one time while still distributing heat evenly and efficiently.
- DUAL VENTING SYSTEM: Features a Dual venting system, giving you the ultimate charcoal management and temperature control.
- THREE SECURE LID LOCKS: The grill features three secure lid locks for easy and safe transport.
- COMPACT ENOUGH TO TAKE ANYWHERE: The grill measures 14.5 x 14.5 x 15 inches and weighs only 2 lbs., making it easy for transport and ideal for decks, patios and balconies, camping, tailgating and more.
- ENAMEL COATED FIREBOX AND ASH CATCHER: Features a durable enamel coated firebox and convenient mess-free ash catcher for safety and ease.
Easy to set up and use
Dual venting system for precise temperature control
The ash catcher under the grill ensures no mess on your table
The grates are a little unstable so you need to be careful
The grates are a little unstable so you need to be careful
Lodge Cast Iron Hibachi-Style Sportsman’s Grill
When it comes to grilling, there is nothing quite like cast iron. Cast iron has been traditionally used for cooking and grilling equipment thanks to its amazing heat retention properties. This is why we love the Lodge Cast Iron Hibachi-Style Sportsman’s Grill as an option for your Korean BBQ.
However, while cast iron is amazing for grilling, it is also rather heavy – this grill weighs as much as 27 pounds. On the other hand, the Lodge Cast Iron Hibachi-Style Sportsman’s Grill is still rather compact while still giving you plenty of space for grilling thanks to clever design.
- Lodge Logic Sportsmans Grill, 17-1/4" x 9" unit size, 19"L x 10-1/4"W x 8-1/4 H" grill surface, Hibachi-style, cast iron.
- This rugged, charcoal hibachi-style grill is perfect for picnics, tailgating, camping, or patio. A draft door regulates the heat, and coals are accessible behind a flip-down door. Grill has two adjustable heights.
- Cast Iron Grill Grate produces superior results.Door allows for coals to be added.Sliding mechanism enhances airflow.
- Sportsmans Grill Cover is constructed of heavy duty black polyester with PVC backing and elastic shock cord. Designed to fit the Lodge Sportsman's Grill hibachi style charcoal grill.
- Made in USA.
This grill also comes pre-seasoned (as cast iron needs seasoning to become non-stick), so you can use it right out of the box!
Retains heat amazingly well thanks to cast iron construction
The cast iron cooking grates give you an amazing sear
Easy front-door access to fire
Handle on top for lifting
This grill is quite heavy
Best Gas Burner And Gas Cans For A Korean BBQ
ZA-3HP Portable Butane Stove Burner by Iwatani Corporation of America
The ZA-3HP Portable Butane Stove Burner is a Japanese-made product. As you might expect from something from Japan, this gas burner is simple yet functional and well-made. There is not much to it really, it does what it’s supposed to do.
The maximum output of this burner is 12,000 BTU/hr, but you can regulate the temperature with an easy-to-use dial. At maximum power, this burner can stay on for 60 minutes using one canister. However, it will probably last longer as you will not be using it on the highest setting all the time.
- Quality - Authorized USA model with a detailed English User Manual. No. 1 Brand in Japan since 1969. Stands behind its work with a 1 year Limited .
- Heat output - constant and high 12000BTU/hr. output - boils water/cooks food quickly & consistently.
- Advanced technology - heat panel system maintains constant power as fuel is being consumed, providing the maximum and consistent output for the life of entire fuel canister. It also allows the stove to utilize the entire can of butane leaving no residual fuel - assuring greater economy and safety.
- Ease of use - easy ignition with piezo electric & quick Fuel locking with one push locking lever to ensure no leaks. (Fuel sold separately)
- Safety - CSA listed - tested and certified to meet us standards. Highest safety standards using advanced regulator design with pressure sensing device - shuts off the flow of butane which extinguishes the flame if the pressure in the canister rises to unsafe levels. To reset just push down a lever on the regulator -much like a circuit breaker in your home.
This burner can be used indoors, but you can actually use it anywhere. It takes the notion of portability to a whole new level as it comes with a nice case included that allows you to carry your burner anywhere you want. Moreover, this burner weighs only 3.7. Pounds so moving it around truly is no issue.
Simple and functional
Easy to use
Safe and reliable
Extremely portable and includes a carrying case
The heat output decreases as the gas canister empties out
GasOne Mini Butane Portable Gas Stove with Carrying Case
The GasOne Mini Butane Portable Gas Stove with Carrying Case is another simple and functional gas burner. It’s quite compact, and very lightweight – it weighs only 3 pounds! The output of this gas stove is 7560 BTU.
This is not the highest output out there, but it will do the job for Korean BBQ. Moreover, thanks to the stainless steel top and white bottom part, this little stove looks really sleek which makes it a great choice for setting up at the table. WIth that being said, it’s also perfectly usable outdoors.
- PORTABLE - Extremely small and easy to carry around, Power with tiny size, Comes with carrying case for convenience of portability
- HIGH OUTPUT - 7,650 BTU Powerful and easy heat with comfort of portability, Lots of power with small and light stove
- AUTOMATIC IGNITION- With Piezo-Electric Starter, No matches or lighters are required, No need to bring lighting material with this stove
- SLEEK AND CLEAN LOOK- White and stainless steel body, Very easy to clean, Has a slick appearance and is fitting of any and every outdoor setting
Small, lightweight, and portable
Sleek and elegant design
The stainless steel body is resistant to rust
Easy to use
Lower BTU output that some other mini gas burners
GasOne Butane Fuel Canister 4-pack
When it comes to choosing gas canisters, there is really not much philosophy to it. You need cans that work and that are compatible with your portable stove and these gas cans from GasOne are just that. They come at quite an affordable price too.
Each of these canisters holds 8 ounces of fuel and they are compatible with most portable gas burners and also blowtorches. If you are buying a gas burner for your Korean BBQ setup, make sure to order these too and you’ll be good to go.
- Each package contains 4 - 8oz. cans of fuel
- Each can of fuel lasts for approx. 2 to 8 hours of burn time
Works with GasOne, Iwatani, and other portable gas stoves
Great value for money
These cans hold a little less gas than some other brands
Best Grill Pans For Korean BBQ
Korean BBQ Non-stick Smokeless Grill by HEYEJET
Stovetop Korean barbecue grill pans are definitely the easiest and simplest way to achieve the feeling of a real Korean BBQ in your home. We loved this smokeless grill for Korean BBQ from HEYEJET exactly for this reason.
This grill pan is lightweight, easy to use and to clean, and it doesn’t require any special equipment. Just place it on your stove and you are ready to make Korean barbecue or other fun and healthy meals!
- Our stove top grill is made of 100% FDA approved PFOA free, PTFE non-stick “Teflon” coating that provide quick and even heating without sticking. The double-coated non-stick surface makes cooking and cleaning safe and easy. Dishwasher safe, but hand wash is recommended!
- Multi-functional with four-side slicer cutter shredder ( two different thickness shredders )
- Unlike most other grills, our stove top grill has an integrated drip pan that catches excess fat and grease and prevents flare ups you get from regular outdoor grills. Adding water to the drip pan helps eliminate unpleasant smoke and grease splattering to create a cleaner grill experience.
- Our stove grill is safe to use on both electric and gas stoves. Not just an indoor stove top grill, you can take it camping and grill delicious food right over your portable propane burner!
- With a preservation box: 13 x 13 x 6cm
The cooking surface on this smokeless grill is covered with two layers of non-stick coating. We really love the non-stick solution, because it eliminates any problems you might have while grilling your meat. If you are worried about the toxicity of non-stick coatings – don’t be! The coating used on this grill pan is FDA-approved and free of PFOA and PTFE, so no problems there.
The non-stick surface of this grill pan is non-toxic and makes grilling a breeze
Easy to clean
Compatible with electric and gas stoves
The integrated drip pan catches the drippings
Performs better when used with a gas stove than with an electric stove
The non-stick coating will wear out in time if you wash the grill in the dishwasher
YONATA Korean Nonstick BBQ Grill Pan for Stovetop
The YONATA Korean Nonstick BBQ Grill Pan for Stovetop is another beautiful and versatile Korean barbecue grill pan. You can use this pan on top of any stove or burner. Thanks to the legs built into the bottom, it will fit nicely anywhere. You can use it indoors on your stove or outdoors on a portable gas burner which makes it perfect for both quick meals at home and camping trips!
This Korean BBQ grill pan features a square design, measuring 13 inches across. This means you have enough space for a Korean BBQ party for up to 5 people, but it’s not too big even for 1 or 2 people. This grill pan is made of aluminum which ensures even heating across the surface, and the surface is covered with a non-stick coating for easier grilling.
- DRAIN OIL DESIGN - Korean style stovetop bbq grill pan with nonstick coated surface and unique slope helps to drain off excess oil to provide low-fat and healthy cooking. Besides, the bottom with oil leakage port design can ensure that oil will not drop on the stove, and kindly advise you to put a bowl to catch the oil/fat.
- EVEN HEATING - Double layered aluminium hot grill pan is thickened, durable and evenly heated.
- EASY CLEANING - High quality nonstick coating with grease drainer for easy cleaning.
- LARGE SURFACE AREA - This 13 inch grill pan with large surface area can make you easily to grill or cook different kind of meat, vegetables and other at once.
- GREAT FOR INDOOR/OUTDOOR - Built in legs in the bottom is designed to secure fit on the top of stove grate. Portable for outdoor camping, party and bbq grilling. Notice: Please apply oil to the baking surface before use!
Features a clever mess-free oil-draining system
Even heating across the cooking surface
Compatible with all kinds of gas stoves
Easy to clean
A little heavy
Not really a con, but you do need to use an additional bowl to catch the oil and fat drippings
Best Electric Korean BBQ Grill Pan
SEAAN Electric Multifunctional Grill Indoor Hot Pot
This multifunctional unit from SEAAN really brings the feeling of real Korean barbecue into your home. Since it’s a standalone electric unit, you can use it both in the kitchen and directly at the table with no extra equipment needed.
The SEAAN Electric Multifunctional Grill Indoor Hot Pot consists of two parts – a large grilling area (34.5 x 26.5 cm) and a round hot pot. The hot pot has a divider in the middle, so you can make two different things at the same time.
- 【2 in 1 Function】 - Indoor Electric Grill suitable for steaks, vegetables, shellfish, pasta, etc; Hotpot with divider can make two taste of hot pot.
- 【Separately Temperature Control】 - Hot pot and bbq grill have independent temperature control, 5-speed temperature adjustment. Automatically adjust the temperature when too high.
- 【MATERIAL】 - Cast aluminum body with Non-stick coating, healthy and easy use, 110V 2400W.
- 【Easy to Clean】 - Automatic oil connection design, the frying pan oil is automatically dropped to the oil tank through the oil discharge port, which is easy and clean.
- 【Hot Pot Barbecue】 –Multi functional hot pot/ electric grill is suitable for indoor gathering use, Decent size hotpot 1~8 people can eat hotpot using this with no problem.
A tempered glass lid is also included which really completes the experience as you can watch the food while it’s cooking. You can also control the temperature of the baking/grilling area and the hotpot separately. Korean BBQ is all about the variety of foods served which is why we think this grill + hot pot combination is the perfect solution!
With this multifunctional grill, you’ll have a barbecue and a hot pot all in one
Separate temperature control for the barbecue area and the hotpot
The cast aluminum body is very durable and conducts heat evenly
The handles at the sides remain cool to the touch
Some users have complained that the electric cord is too short
Best Gas Burner Korean BBQ Grill Pan
YAKIMARU CB-SLG-1 Smokeless Korean Barbecue Grill By IWATANI
The Yakimaru is a little gas-powered grill made by a Japanese company called Iwatani. This beautiful little unit was made specifically with Korean barbecue in mind and it was made with the characteristic Japanese precision and style.
What makes this grill stand out is its functionality – you get a gas burner and a Korean BBQ grill pan all in one. All you need to do is put in a canister, place the Yakimaru on the table, and you are ready to start grilling.
While this grill is a bit on the smaller side, you can comfortably make food for two people on it. However, since Korean BBQ is all about the intimacy of grilling and eating together, we found this grill large enough for a company of four.
- body size: 303 (width) × 278 (depth) × 149 (height) mm / Weight: about 2.0kg / plate size (diameter): 233mm
- Material 🙁 body): steel (powder coating) / (plate) aluminum die-casting (fluorine processing) / (burner) heat-resistant aluminum die-casting / (knob appliance plugs) ABS resin
- Continuous burning time: about 217 minutes (※ when the temperature 20 ~ 25 ℃, the measured value of the unexpired portion of the cassette gas one at high heat continuous combustion) / ignition system: piezoelectric ignition system / safety device: Pressure-sensitive safety equipment / container removable method: magnet system
- Accessories: handle, Japanese manual / Country of origin: Japan
- Japanese manual URL (PDF): http://www.i-cg.jp/support/manual/list/pdf/manual_pdf71.pdf
The unit itself has a steel body and the grilling plate itself is made of aluminum which distributes the heat really nicely. There is also a drip tray included which prevents the drippings from falling directly onto the flame. This way, smoke is eliminated which makes the Yakimaru grill perfect for indoor use!
Easy to use all-in-one solution for Korean BBQ
Long burning time with a single canister
Compact and lightweight
Smokeless and perfect for indoor grilling
A little small, good size for two people
Best Charcoal Korean BBQ Grill Pan
Aluminum Thai Lao Korean Charcoal Barbecue Stove + BBQ Grill Topper
This amazing barbecue stove runs on charcoal and resembles the traditional charcoal stoves used in Asia. It is also made in and shipped directly from Thailand, so you can rest assured it is the real thing. With that being said, this is a barbecue stove that does go on the top of your table, but as it uses charcoal it must be used only outdoors.
This set includes a cast aluminum stove with two handles at the sides which you fill with charcoal and an aluminum grill topper that gives you the ability to grill in the Korean BBQ style. The stove is round and it has a diameter of 12 inches or 30 centimeters.
This means it’s rather small – the size of this stove is perfect for a barbecue for two people, but if you have any more guests than that, it might be a bit too small.
- BBQ Iron Stove Using Charcoal as Fuel
- Aluminum Thai Lao Korean BBQ Grill Topper
- BBQ Set for Grill
- You will get a Stove and Grill Topper as a Complete Set.
Portable and easy to use
Can be used only outdoors
The outside of this stove can get quite hot
Korean BBQ Stone Grill BBQ Pan by Dongwoo
While there is nothing quite like the taste of barbecue grilled over charcoal, actual charcoal grills are not really suitable to be used indoors. If you’re like us, and most people, you probably don’t always have the opportunity to grill outdoors.
Maybe it’s cold, maybe you just live in the city, but you’re still craving real Korean BBQ? The Korean BBQ Stone Grill BBQ Pan by Dongwoo is the perfect solution for these situations.
This is not really a charcoal grill, but it does produce a taste that is quite close to food made on a real charcoal grill. This is because the cooking surface is made of a special kind of stone – agalmatolite.
- Native rock (Agalmatolite) plate /Delicious taste by far-infrared radiation from the plate
- Charcoal barbecue taste since the plate absorbs the oil.
- Smokeless, Good for BBQ, Steak, and Fish
- Includings : Upper Stone Plate x1 , Lower Stainless Steel Plate x1., Picker not incluided
- Made in Korea / High Quality Products
The grill pan itself consists of two parts – the bottom plate that is made of stainless steel and the top plate on which you grill made of stone and steel. This grill pan works with all kinds of gas burners, so you can use it on your stove or with a portable burner – your choice. What we really loved is the grease draining system that contributes to the real barbecue taste of your food.
Perfect for indoor use but can also be used outdoors
The stone cooking surface gives you the taste of a charcoal grill without the smoke
Simple and functional solution
Works only with gas burners
Small cooking area
What is a Korean BBQ?
While originally a Korean tradition, Korean barbecue is slowly but surely spreading across the world. However, the concept is still not familiar to everyone as it can be quite different from the idea of barbecue many of us are used to.
In the U.S., and in most other countries, making barbecue is all about community. The thought of barbecue summons up the image of family and friends gather around the grill, in the yard, patio, or while tailgating or camping.
However, in “traditional” grilling, there is usually one cook that is in charge of the grilling. In Korean barbecue, everyone is equal, and everyone is grilling their own food.
Korean barbecue is also about community, but it takes the idea to a whole different level. The concept of Korean barbecue comes from Korean restaurants. In these restaurants, meat is served in raw form for the customers to grill it themselves – ant the grill is usually built right into the table. If the grill is not really built-in, a small stove might be placed on the table for the customers to cook on.
When it comes to the food being served, Korean barbecue can’t really go without meat. It can be either chicken, pork, or beef (traditionally, in Korea, beef was considered a luxury, but nowadays it’s more common in Korean BBQ restaurants).
The meat can be marinated or not, but it usually comes in thin, smaller pieces. It is also often served in traditional Korean forms like bulgogi.
Even though meat is an essential part of Korean barbecue, it is only half of the story. The side dishes (called banchan in Korean) are also an indispensable part. Usually, a variety of side-dishes, salads, and kimchi is served along with the meat.
Korean food is all about creating the perfect bite and this is achieved by creating the perfect combination of ingredients yourself.
How To Set Up a Korean BBQ Party At Home
Even though the concept originated in specialized restaurants, setting up a Korean BBQ party at home is actually doable. In face, we believe it’s a great concept for both parties and for family dinners. The idea of cooking together around a grill really fosters intimacy, no matter if it’s your children or your friends.
However, there are some issues that need to be thought through before you can make Korean BBQ at home. In Korean BBQ restaurants, they usually use charcoal grills built into the table. However, these restaurants also have large exhaust vents above the table, which is why it’s possible to do charcoal grilling indoors.
We wouldn’t really advise trying this at home. However, there are plenty of good solutions for setting up a Korean-style grill inside your house, and we’ll talk about them in the next section.
How To Choose a Korean BBQ Grill: Stovetop vs Electric vs Charcoal
When it comes to choosing a grill for your Korean BBQ parties, you basically have three options: stovetop grill pans, an electric grill, or a charcoal grill. All of these are viable options, and they all have their advantages and disadvantages.
First, let’s talk about stovetop options. There are plenty of nice and affordable (we mentioned some in our reviews) grill pans for Korean BBQ that you can use right on your stove. Some of them will work with both gas and electric stoves, but we do believe cooking over a gas stove will give you results that are more similar to cooking over a real grill.
However, if your stove is in the kitchen, and you eat at the table, you won’t get the real Korean BBQ atmosphere. However, there is an easy solution to that. Just get a small gas burner like the Iwatari and GasOne models we reviewed above and you can set up your grill pan right at the table.
Finally, you can also choose a dedicated grill pan and burner combination such as the Yakimaru by Iwatari.
Moving on to the electric options. Electric grills are a great choice overall. They require even less setup than gas stoves – all you need to do is plug them into the wall and most can be used both indoors and outdoors.
One problem with electric grills though is that you just can’t get that smokey flavor and nice sear you get with other types of grills. This doesn’t mean you can’t make tasty food though!
Speaking about flavor, charcoal grills are really the only option that will give you the true smokey flavor of barbecue. However, charcoal grills always produce smoke so you can’t really use them indoors.
What Is The Best Type Of Grill For a Korean BBQ At Home?
What is the best type of grill to make Korean BBQ at home? In our opinion, the most important thing is being able to set up the grill in the middle of the table, if you want to achieve the real Korean BBQ atmosphere, that is.
Now, this is achievable with all kinds of grills, and the choice is up to you. Charcoal grills need to be used outdoors, electric work both indoors and outdoors but need a power outlet, and gas-powered ones can work virtually everywhere. It’s really up to you!
Recipes for your Korean BBQ Party
Galbijjim (Braised Beef Short Ribs)
Chicken Stir Fry with Kale and Mushrooms
Grilled Pork Belly
Grilled Pork Skewers
Easy Korean Beef BBQ
How to eat Korean BBQ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyB3bhKiffM
How to Properly Eat Korean BBQ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHsFYpYpcl8
A Beginner’s Guide to Korean BBQ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHRXFdm_sHQ
How to Do Korean Barbecue!: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08z5TjqtmCM
How to setup a Korean BBQ party at home!: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XDictVhfUc
How To: KOREAN BBQ At Home: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nR-n2vRM4OU