Pressure cookers have been around for a long time. In fact, they were first invented in the 16th century. They work on the simple principle of steam pressure. Pressure cookers are sealed and produce a lot of steam which helps to cook food faster than normal methods. The steam allows the contents to reach up to 250F which is higher than the boiling point of water, 212F.
Table of Contents
- 1 Which Pressure Cooker is Best for Indian Cooking?
- 2 Is a Pressure Cooker Good for Indian Cooking?
- 3 Why are Pressure Cookers so Popular?
- 4 Which Metal is the Best for a Pressure Cooker?
- 5 Final thoughts
Which Pressure Cooker is Best for Indian Cooking?
There are so many pressure cookers out there that it may be difficult to choose the best one. Here we’re going to give you some ideas to get you started on your search.
Instant Pot Duo 6-quart 7-in-1, One Touch, Multi-Use Programmable Pressure Cooker
This is a fantastic appliance. not only is it a pressure cooker, but it’s also a rice cooker, slow cooker, steamer, yoghurt maker, sauté pan and warmer. It is my top choice and not just because it does all these things, but because it has simple controls and 14 one-touch smart programs. The pressure cooker also cooks 70% quicker than traditional methods.
The capacity is large at 6 quarts so will easily feed a family of six and is great for batch cooking if you are a smaller family.
This pressure cooker comes with two pressure settings so you can cook at either low or high pressure. The low pressure stops delicate food from overcooking, while the high-pressure setting reduces cooking time up to 6 times.
There are both automatic and manual settings for keeping food warm which means that you can decide at exactly what time you eat.
The pressure cooker comes with a stainless steel inner which is durable and also safe for the dishwasher.
- Time and Space Saver: The 2019 edition Instant Pot Multi Cooker combines 7 Appliances in one: pressure cooker, slow cooker, rice cooker, steamer, sauté pan, yogurt maker and warmer – and cooks up to 70% faster
- Clear, Simple Controls: 14 one-touch smart programs put cooking ribs, soups, beans, rice, poultry, yogurt, desserts and more on autopilot with delicious results
- Big Capacity: Instant Pot’s 6 quart large capacity cooks for up to 6 people perfect for families, but also great for meal prepping and batch cooking for singles and smaller households
- Smart Steam Release: the new easy seal lid automatically seals your Instant Pot to keep flavors, nutrients and aromas sealed inside. The 10+ built in safety features, including Overheat protection, safety lock and more, ensure safe pressure cooking. And the new progress indicator lets you know when your Instant Pot is coming to pressure and when the cooking cycle begins
- Durable Inner Pot: The Instant Pot stainless steel inner pot is made with a 3 ply bottom for durability and is healthy and dishwasher safe
The programs include the Poultry Smart program which even means that you can cook a whole chicken, even from frozen. The Meat/Stew program will cook meat to your choice, be it rare or well-done.
With the Bean/Chili program, you can cook dried beans and peas in less than an hour. You won’t have all that pre-soaking time. Lentils, a staple of Indian cookery will take next-to-no time to cook.
It has an easy-seal lid which keeps nutrients, aromas and flavors sealed inside the cooker. Great for Indian cooking.
Over 19 safety features including a safety lock and overheat protection.
There is a program indicator which lets you know when the cooker is reaching pressure and when it starts to cook.
It is made from stainless steel so is very easy to clean and doesn’t leave an aftertaste in your mouth as aluminum does.
There are accessories which come with this appliance including a steam rack.
It’s a learning curve to find out how to use the different controls.
Deenkee 10-in-1 Multi-Function Pressure Cooker
This appliance is 10-in-1 and has 16 preset smart programs which give you the option of setting the programs or manually inputting them. Preset programs include soup, poultry, eggs, beans, rice, meat and even cake.
The appliance is stainless steel with a ceramic non-stick interior coating 3-ply bottom. This means that your food will have heat equally distributed throughout the pot and any aromas will be kept sealed inside until you are ready to serve the dish. This is good for Indian cookery as you don’t want the smells permeating the whole house.
If your power cuts out, the appliance will restart within 20 minutes so you won’t have to do this manually.
- 10 APPLIANCES & 16 PRESET SMART PROGRAMS : DEENKEE pressure cooker gives you the flexibility to manually input cooking times when required and you also have the pre-programmed smart programs already set for many dishes such as Oatmeal, Broth/Soup, Poultry, Yogurt, Egg, Beans/Chilli, Rice, Pressure Cook (Manual Setting), Meat/Stew, Cake. Cook your favorite dishes just the touch of one button
- TOP QUALITY & ADDED DURABILITY : Our insta-pot is adopted with high quality rubber seals and stainless steel (18/10) cooking pot, ceramic non-stick interior coating 3-ply bottom for even heat distribution, fully seals in the flavors, nutrients and aromas within the food also made it to stand the test of time
- RELIABLE AND SAFETY : With the microprocessors system automatic control, safety locking lid design and pressure valves for one key release the air, this multi cooker makes your cooking more easy and safe. The cooking won't be diffcult for you
- DELUXE ACCESSORY KIT : Included is a tempered glass lid (perfect for slow cooking and sautéing), stainless steel steaming trivets, rice paddle, an extra pair of scooking mitts, silicone gasket , stainless steel inner 6 qt cooking pot and a measuring cup
- EXTRA FEATURES : Locking Lid Slow Cooker with Handle is perfect for taking your favorite meals with you to a potluck or family gathering; the memory fuction can keep the appliance will go on again when the power recovery with 20 minutes.
The pressure cooker is suitable for up to 6 people as the appliance is 6 quarts in size.
There is an accessory kit with stainless steel steaming trivets, a rice paddle and a silicone gasket.
All you have to do is press one button and the pressure is released. You won’t get covered in hot steam and will be able to enjoy your meal more quickly.
The lid opens simply whether you are left or right-handed.
There are no recipes included with this pressure cooker.
You can’t set the pressure to high manually.
Sharff & Mueller Electric Pressure Cooker
This pressure cooker has 14 different modes which include soup/broth, poultry, beans/chili, pasta, boil, steam, rice, a slow cooker, bread maker, sauté function, a warmer mode, yogurt maker and a manual mode. In addition, it can sterilize and perform different methods of canning. There’s practically nothing you can’t make with this appliance.
- USER-FRIENDLY AT ITS MAX: This electric pressure cooker by Sharff&Mueller was designed entirely for easy use, equipped with a super comprehensive display touch panel. This pressure cooker is packed with features, and is a great 12 in 1 cooker. It has new and improved programs and features to continually support one’s fast-paced lifestyle.
- 14 DIFFERENT MODES: are a button away, all enabling you to cook up a meal in an instant, even without prior kitchen experience! Modes include Soup/Broth, Meat/Stew, Poultry, Bean/Chili, Multigrain, Sauté, Pasta, Boil, Steam, a warmer mode, a Rice cooker mode, a Slow cooker mode, a Yogurt maker mode, and a manual mode for the more advanced users. Modes were designed carefully by chef Mike, to meet the utmost perfection.
- STERILIZE MODE: is also included where one can pasteurize milk, sterilize baby bottles, jars, and utensils; as well as, perform certain types of canning much more conveniently than ever before!
- EXTRA FEATURES: like delayed start, lets you prepare food on a timer, to come home to a wholesome meal. Also, don’t worry about food getting cold; with our automatically keep-warm feature, your food will stay warm up to 12 hrs! There’s also an auto-release button, which releases the steam to avoid injury. We also included recipe book with tons of recipes, including starters, main dishes, soups and delicious deserts; like a hot cake, all made in this 6 qt electric slow cooker!
- 2 YEAR WARRANTY: allows you to cook with no worries! The Duopro Plus Multicooker, has been carefully designed with high-quality materials to ensure you a long-lasting product, and also to eliminate many common errors which may cause physical injury. It has passed stringent UL & ULC certification giving safety without compromise.
It’s stainless steel which is very easy to clean and will hold up to 6 quarts. It’s plenty enough for a big family, entertaining or cooking portions to freeze.
There is a delayed start which means that you can put your food onto a 24-hour timer. There’s no need to come home from a hard day at work to prepare a meal from scratch. It will be ready for you as soon as you walk in the door.
There is a keep-warm feature which works automatically.
The pressure cooker has an auto-release button which releases the steam and so avoids injury.
It is sealed well so the aromas from your curry won’t permeate the whole house.
It has a microprocessor which keeps an eye on the temperature and the pressure.
The pot and accessories are dishwasher-safe.
It comes with a recipe book which has lots of different recipes. It even comes with recipes for cakes.
The recipes for beans are for an instapot and this appliance is completely different.
Is a Pressure Cooker Good for Indian Cooking?
A pressure cooker is perfect for Indian cooking. Stovetop pressure cookers have been used for decades in Indian kitchens, but are now being taken over by electric pressure cookers which don’t have the noisy sounds you get from a stovetop cooker.
Pressure cookers are ideal for curries. Curries can take a lot of time to make by traditional methods as it takes time to merge the spices. However, a pressure cooker can produce the perfect curry in less than half an hour.
You can even add the rice a few minutes before you are ready to serve the meal. In this way, the aromas and juices will flavor the rice. You also don’t get the curry flavor permeating the house and your clothes.
Why are Pressure Cookers so Popular?
Pressure cookers are so popular because you can cook just about everything in them and more quickly. Rice can be cooked in just a few minutes, beans in less than an hour and tough meats can be cooked more quickly than traditional methods. You can even hard boil eggs in them.
Pressure cookers are also very efficient and use a lot less energy than many other appliances leading to a reduction in energy usage as well.
Which Metal is the Best for a Pressure Cooker?
Pressure cookers can be made of different materials, but stainless steel ones are the most popular. They are durable and the material is the best for regulating the temperature. In addition, they are easy to clean.
Aluminum is also used and they’re not toxic or harmful in the same way lead is, but food can absorb aluminum which gives a metallic flavor to your food. In addition, the absorption of aluminum into your food corrodes the cooker.
I hope you have enjoyed reading about my selection of pressure cookers for Indian cooking. They all keep the aromas and scents inside the pot until you take the dish out. Pressure cookers are also excellent in Indian cuisine as you can add the rice near the end of the cooking time and have it coming out fluffy and light.