If you are looking for a versatile unit to cook outside with, you won’t go far wrong choosing a smoker grill combo. It will save you both space and money as you will have two appliances in one. In addition, many of the models will even bake, roast, sear, and braise as well as grilling and smoking.
Smoker grill combos have two chambers, one for smoking and the other for grilling. They can be powered by charcoal, gas, wood, or electricity. As there are two chambers you can cook two different items at the same time. Perhaps you want to slow-roast a joint in the smoker and have burgers and sausages on the grill.
In this article, we are going to have a look at the factors to consider when choosing a smoker grill combo and the benefits. We will also give you our top choices of smoker grill combos. Hopefully one of these will suit your needs.
In a hurry? This is our winner!
Traeger Grills TFB57GZEO Pro Series 575 Grill, Smoker, Bronze
- Never use gas or charcoal again: cooking with wood just tastes better. Traeger created the original wood-pellet grill as the ultimate way to achieve wood-fired taste
- Connected home technology: Built-in WiFIRE connects your grill to home WiFi and the Traeger app allows the user to control the grill from anywhere. Change temperature, set timers, monitor pellet levels and more.
- Versatile barbecue cooking: hot and fast, or low and slow, the Traeger Pro 575 pellet grill offers 6-in-1 versatility to grill, smoke, bake, roast, braise, and BBQ all on the same grill.
- Easy and predictable: The Pro 575 offers consistency you can trust, allowing you to craft amazing wood-fired creations time and time again with the ease of s Set-It and Forget-It
- Perfect size for family cooking: enjoy 575 sq in of grilling space that can accommodate all the burgers, chicken, ribs, steak, fish, vegetables, or desserts that you can handle
Last update on 2020-07-07 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Best Smoker Grill Combos – Runner Up
Z Grills ZPG-700E 2020 Upgrade Wood Pellet Grill & Smoker, 8 in 1 BBQ Grill Auto Temperature...
- ★ULTIMATE 8-IN-1--Barbecue wood fire pellet grill: grill, smoke, bake, roast, braise, barbeque
- ★PELLET GRILL TECHNOLOGY--★ FLAVOR--There just isn’t an easier way to get the flavor of wood smoked food than with a pellet grill. Try it and you’ll taste the difference from a GAS or CARBON grill; ★ ACCURACY--Most stay within 10 degrees of the set temperature, no matter if its 10 degrees or 110 degrees outside; ★EFFICIENCY--You can cook for about 20 hours per 20 lbs. of pellets. When you do the math, you will find that pellet cooking typically costs less than a comparably sized GAS or CARBON gr
- ★EASIER THAN YOU THOUGHT--One button starts up and temperature control eliminates starter fluid. No need to run to the local station to trade in your propane. ★EASY TO USE--Electronic AUTO-Start Ignition, Digital Auto Temperature Control, LED temperature readout. Super easy cooking even for beginners. ★EASY TO CLEAN--Special Designed Waste Oil Collector to assist you with safe and easy cleanup. ★EASY TO MOVE--Upgraded cart with locking caster wheels.
- ★2020 UPGRADE--Known Issues Fixed and More Precise Temperature Control and Pellet Feed Control System. The new upgrade digital control board auto ignites the grill and allows you to set the cooking temperature from 180°f to 450°f.
- ★AUTOMATED ELECTRIC FEED SYSTEM--Maintains the heat within 10 degrees of the set temperature for you from 180ºf to 450ºf and produce the optimal amount of smoke. Just set it and let it work: No more babysitting. Enjoy the cooking!★FAN-FORCED CONVECTION COOKING--Eliminates the need for a rotisserie and creates a versatile environment for grilling, roasting, smoking, braising and baking.Whether you want to grill some hot dogs or slow smoke a rib roast, pellet grills can do it all with ease.★HUGE G
Last update on 2020-07-03 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Best Smoker Grill Combos – Comparison Table
Last update on 2020-07-03 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Best Smoker Grill Combos – Reviews
Our top pick is a wood pellet grill smoker so you can be assured of a delicious flavor infusing your food. It is made from durable steel and has two wheels for mobility. There are 575 square inches of cooking space so there’s plenty of room to cook for larger numbers.
This smoker grill combo is state of the art. It has an inbuilt WIFIRE which connects to your WIFI. You can control the grill from your cell phone from anywhere in the house or garden. You can control the temperature and monitor wood pellet levels while sitting comfortably. It is also Alexa enabled.
This unit is versatile. Not only can you smoke and grill, but you can bake, roast, braise, and barbecue your food.
- Made of durable steel
- 575 square inches of cooking space
- 6 – in – 1 ways of cooking
- Control the smoker grill from anywhere with the Traeger app
- A couple of customers complained that it didn’t connect well to the internet
This smoker grill combo is made from durable stainless steel. It operates on wood pellets and has fan-forced convection heating. It’s very versatile. You can grill, smoke, barbecue, roast, bake, and braise. The main cooking area is 339 square inches and the warming rack has 139 square inches of cooking space. It can hold 10 pounds of wood pellets.
It is easy to operate as it has a digital control board with an LED temperature readout. There is auto ignition and you can set the temperature anywhere between 180F and 450F. Keep it low for smoking and high for grilling.
There is an automated feed system so you can relax while your food is cooking. It’s easy to clean as there is a waste oil collector.
Other benefits include a folding shelf for you to put your accessories on, wheels for mobility, and a cover.
- Made from stainless steel
- Digital control board
- 538 square inches of cooking space
- 3-year warranty
- A few customers complained that the starter/ignition stopped working after a few months
- Doesn’t come with a thermometer
Τhis is a charcoal grill and it has the capacity of holding 5 pounds of charcoal. The total cooking area is 800 square inches so you can feed both yourselves and a group of friends. The main chamber has 488 square inches of cooking space, the warming rack has 179 square inches and the smoker, 183 square inches.
The grates are all durable and will last a long time. They are made from ¼ inch diameter porcelain steel both in the cooking chamber and in the smoker.
There is a side door to the smoker which makes it simple to add the charcoal. It has an air vent, so airflow can be controlled. There are lifting handles enabling you to adjust the position of the charcoal.
Other benefits include a professional thermometer in the lid and steel mesh shelves.
- 800 square inches of cooking space
- Durable grates
- Professional thermometer
- A few customers complained that the paint was flaking off
No products found.
Now we are going to take a look at a combo that uses liquid propane gas. However, it does have a smoker box where you can put your favorite wood pellets, be it hickory, apple, cherry, or something else. You will get a wonderful smoky flavor in your food.
You can smoke, roast, and grill with this unit. It has a 1,200 square inch smoking and roasting basket which will hold up to 21 pounds of meat. There is also a removable grill grate. You don’t need to use any oil and the meat turns out juicy and tender.
The smoker has a side door, so you don’t have to open the lid to add your wood pellets.
There are two side handles so you can easily move it around your yard. Other benefits include steel legs for stability, a metal thermometer, and a removable grease tray.
- You can smoke, grill, and roast
- 1,200 square inches of cooking space
- Removable grease tray
- Metal thermometer
- A few customers complained that the smoker door and grease tray don’t fit well
- The smoker box is small
This charcoal smoker grill combo is made from cast aluminum which conducts heat well so you should have even cooking. You won’t need to worry about hot and cold spots. In fact, it conducts heat four times better than a charcoal steel unit. It also has an airtight seal that keeps heat in. It is durable and rust-proof.
This combo is a capsule shape and has four air vents so that you can cook low and slow or hot and fast. It can heat from 180F – 750F. There are 300 square units of cooking space and the grates are made from nickel-plated steel.
The unit is lightweight and can easily be removed from the stand. This makes it a great option for camping and tailgating.
- Made from cast aluminum which conducts heat well
- Lid has an airtight seal
- Can cook from 180F – 750F
This unit is massive. There are two cooking chambers, a side burner, and a firebox which works on charcoal. The fuel for the grill and side burner is liquid propane gas. There are three burners on the grill all 12,000 BTUs and the side burner is also 12,000 BTUs. The other chamber is for smoking. You get an amazing 1,060 square inches of cooking space, 750 square inches in the main cooking chambers, and 310 square inches in the firebox.
The combo is made from heavy-gauge steel which is durable and sturdy, and the grates are porcelain-coated cast-iron which can last for generations.
The firebox has many adjustable dampers which means that it is easy to control the temperature and the amount of smoke. It has an access door so you can stoke your fire without opening the cooking chamber.
There are two lid-mounted thermometers so you can keep an eye on both the grill and the smoker. Also, there are cool-touch handles and a storage shelf underneath the cooking chambers.
- 1,060 square inches of cooking space
- Made from heavy-gauge steel
- Multiple adjustable dampers
- Two temperature gauges
- Cool-touch handles
- One customer complained of rust
- Another customer complained that smoke leaked out
Best Smoker Grill Combos – Buyers Guide
Factors to Consider When Looking for a Smoker Grill Combo
Charcoal smoker grills are usually the most reasonably priced, but they are hard to clean. Wood pellet smoker grills can be expensive, but they give you that amazing hardwood flavor. You can get one with a gas grill and a charcoal or wood pellet smoker. You get the best of both worlds. You have a grill that heats up quickly and a smoker which slowly cooks your meat until it’s juicy.
Before buying your smoker grill you will need to think about how many people you will be cooking for. Perhaps you just have a small family but entertain a lot. In that case, you will want a bigger unit. If there’s just two of you most of the time, it isn’t worth the money buying one with a large cooking surface. Some models have a cooking area that has two racks and can be divided to cook items on top of each other.
There is the old saying that you get what you pay for and this totally applies to a smoker grill. Because these units can perform so many cooking techniques you can expect to pay a little more than for a traditional grill.
The best material is heavy-gauge steel, with cast iron or stainless steel cooking grates. These materials are sturdy and durable and should last you for a good many years.
Smoker grills can be heavy, but this shouldn’t be a problem if you are just keeping yours in the yard. If you want to take it with you for a camping trip by car, you will need to look for a lighter one. They can be found if you look around.
Benefits of a Smoker Grill Combo
If you use a separate grill and a separate smoker, you will use up more fuel. A smoker grill combo saves you money in the long run. If you decide to invest in a wood pellet unit you will save even more money as they are very economical.
If you have a small yard or just a patio, a smoker grill combo is ideal as you get two units in one which doesn’t take up as much space as two units would.
Gas grills are easy to operate, but you can miss out on some of those authentic wood-pellet flavors. However, if your gas grill has a wood pellet smoker, you’ll get all the flavor.
Frequently Asked Questions
We hope that you have been inspired by this article. Perhaps you have questions. We’ve tried to answer a couple here, but if you want to ask anything else, feel free to contact us.
How Can I keep a Consistent Temperature?
Make sure that the lid fits perfectly. If it doesn’t, you’ll get heat escaping and the temperature will fluctuate. You will need to have a temperature gauge and a lot of units have them installed. You need to be able to get a range of temperatures ideally from 180F – 550F. Smokers need the lower end of the scale while grills need the higher. 225F – 250F is ideal for smoking meat. Because smoking takes a long time, it is essential that the smoker keeps the correct temperature throughout.
How Do I Clean my Smoker Grill Combo?
If you have an ash cleanout system, cleaning is easy and nowadays units do come with such features. Some models also have drip trays so the grease from your food is easily collected. If your grates are porcelain-coated, they are easy to clean, and food doesn’t get stuck.
We hope that you have enjoyed reading about smoker grill combos and have found one to suit you. We stand by our top pick of Traeger Grills Pro Series 575 Grill Smoker. It has advanced technology in that it connects to your WIFI and you can control it from anywhere in your home. It offers 6 – 1 versatility in that as well as grilling and smoking, you can braise, roast, bake, and barbecue. In addition, you get a perfect smoky taste in all your food.