Hey! This site is reader-supported and we earn commissions if you purchase products from retailers after clicking on a link from our site.
A fun way to make your favourite deep-fried snacks is through this healthier, a more beneficial kitchen tool that allows us to enjoy the delicious fried finger foods, minus the excessive oil, leaking from our fried wedges, and fried fritters, hash browns, and more. If you’re wondering what kind of snacks to make in your air fryer, and really want to get creative, then you might want to try some of these recipes for yourself!
Table of Contents
- What is an Air Fryer?
- How To Serve Air Fryer Appetisers?
- Air Fryer Apps and Snacks
- What Can You Make in an Air Fryer?
- Air Fryer Appetisers
What is an Air Fryer?
For those a little confused about this fun kitchen gadget, an air fryer is essentially a counter top convection oven, it doesn’t actually fry your food, though it mimics the process of deep-frying your food with nothing more than hot air and little to no oil. You can fry anything you like, from frozen chicken wings, to fresh baked cookies, although for foods that are dipped in a batter beforehand, should need a light spray of oil in the air fryer, for it to fry perfectly, without sticking to the bottom.
How To Serve Air Fryer Appetisers?
The best way to serve your scrumptious air fryer appetisers is to set up a few serving platters with a selection of finger foods, essentially you should include 4 different kids of appetisers, followed by a variety of delicious dipping sauces. Here are some of the common favourites, that will work just as well with your air fried snacks:
- Barbecue Sauce
- Fry Sauce
- Siracha Mayonnaise
- Sweet Chilli
Air Fryer Apps and Snacks
For an idea of different appetisers and snacks to try, check out this video:
What Can You Make in an Air Fryer?
You can go above and beyond, and make absolutely anything you can imagine in an air fryer, however, if you prefer to test the waters for starters, then let’s ease into several of many favourite foods that taste exceptional when fried in an air fryer. Perfect for unexpected guests, or a quick scrambled together dinner, thrown in the air fryer, to make golden perfection. Let’s take a look at these scrumptious, heavenly recipes:
- Air Fried Fritters
- Chicken Meatballs
- Potato skins
- Egg Rolls
- Frozen French Fries
- Crispy Chicken Wings
- Crispy parmesan Chicken Tenders
- Mozzarella Sticks
Air Fried Fritters
These are my personal favourite because they’re so easy to make from scratch and so damn addicting! The only ingredient that you might not be able to find in your cupboards is Gram flour, a quick trip to the supermarket should do the trick, you’ll also need lots of onions, potatoes, and other additional ingredients depending on your personal preference. I like to add slices of aubergine, to provide that wonderful depth of flavour. Commonly enjoyed deep-fried, I had been a little too nervous to try this recipe in the air fryer, but once I did, I just knew that I could never go back. You can make this spicy or plain, depending on your preference. Check out this recipe below:
- 1/2 cup gram flour
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 small potato
- 1 medium onion thinly sliced
- 1/2 a medium aubergine
- 1/2 tsp chilli flakes (optional)
- 1/4 tsp red chilli powder (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Avocado spraying oil
- Thinly slice your onion, potato, and aubergine and place them in a large bowl, then add your salt, pepper, red chilli flakes, and red chilli powder, and mix with a large spoon.
- Next throw in 1/2 cup of gram flour, and some water, then mix the contents in the bowl, until there are no lumps of flour visible, and the ingredients are lathered in a thick paste.
- Turn on your air fryer and set it to 200 to 210 degrees, allowing it to warm a little.
- Spray the air fryer basket with a little avocado oil, before scooping up your batter and placing it in the middle of the basket. Flip the fritters every two minutes, removing them once they have turned a beautiful golden brown.
- You can air fry more than one batch if you wish, but I like to try a couple at a time.
- Once they’re done, transfer the air-fried fritters to a bowl, and serve with your favourite dipping sauce.
These juicy, and tender globes of joy are an amazing appetiser, and can be an addition to a main course, or simply enjoyed on their own, dipped in plenty of sauce. Don’t be afraid to toss in a few extra spices of your choice, providing you with that delightful yet satisfying heat. And the best part is, these chicken meatballs can be frozen and ready for next time! Here’s what you’ll need to make them:
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- 1 large egg
- 1 tbsp extra virgin oil
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- Add all the ingredients to a large bowl, use a fork or your hand to mix everything until they’re well combined.
- Roll the mixture into 16 to 18 balls about 1.5 inches in diameter
- Spray the bottom of the air fryer basket with non-stick cooking spray and arrange half of the meatballs in a single layer in the basket.
- Air fry on 350F for 10 to 12 minutes, or until the internal temperature of the meatballs reach 165F. If they’re browning too much at the top then flip them over.
- Repeat with the remaining meatballs
- Serve immediately, or refrigerate and enjoy within 3 to 4 days
Looking for an appetiser, that satisfies all your cravings and hits the spot perfectly, then why not try these air fryer potato skins, for an impeccable appetiser. These will no doubt become a staple in your household, a real crowd pleaser. Crispy exterior, with a delectably fluffy interior, these air fried potato skins will inevitably have a grip on you, one that will be too hard to wriggle out of! Some recipes make the potato skins from start to finish in the air fryer, but that can make the exterior a little too tough for your liking. Try starting them off in the microwave to make them tender, before proceeding with the air fryer to make them crispy. Let’s take a look at the recipe below:
- 6 gold potatoes
- 8 slices of turkey bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 2 1/2 cups sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup scallions finely sliced
- 1 cup sour cream
- Salt to taste
- Wash the potatoes and pierce each one with a knife, then place them in a single layer on a large microwave-safe plate.
- Cover the potatoes with a wet paper towel. Set the heat to high for 5 minutes, then flip the potatoes and microwave them again for 5 to 7 minutes, or until they are tender.
- Place the potatoes in the fridge for 20 minutes to cool then slice them in half. Scoop out the innards, reserving them to mash later. Leave about 1/4 inch border of potato inside the skins.
- Brush the insides of the potato skins with turkey bacon fat
- Place six of the skins inside the air fryer basket, skin side down
- Cook for about 10 minutes at 400 degrees. Then open the basket and fill the insides of the skins with shredded cheddar cheese. Heat again for 3 to 4 minutes, until the cheese is melted and bubbly. Repeat the process with the remaining potato skins.
- Top the cooked potato skins with the cooked turkey bacon, scallions and sour cream to serve. Add salt as acquired.
With air fryers being the healthier option as opposed to deep fried appetisers, they also happen to make the crunchiest fried snacks ever. For a healthier version of deep fried egg rolls, simply throw them into the air fryer for impeccable deliciousness. Whether you’re planning to make them from frozen, or whip up your own ingredients batch from scratch, there’s no denying the ultimate heavenly crunch that is tremendously satisfying. Don’t forget to bring out your favourite dipping sauce tying all the flavours together!
- 6 egg roll wrappers
- 3 cups of shredded cabbage
- 1/4 cup shredded carrot
- 1 1/2 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 2 tsp ginger
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 tsp reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 sliced green onions
- 1 tsp olive oil
- Preheat a frying pan for a few minutes over medium heat
- Add the sesame oil, ginger, garlic, cabbage, and shredded carrot. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until the cabbage has wilted.
- Add the green onions, soy sauce and black pepper. Stir and remove from the stove
- Assemble your egg rolls
- Brush olive oil over the top of your egg rolls
- Spray cooking oil into the air fryer basket, then place the egg rolls into the basket seam side down, without touching their partner
- Bake at 360 degrees for 7 minutes, then flip and bake for a further 2 minutes.
Frozen French Fries
Air fryers are not just great for yummy recipes, but also for quick and efficient dishes, like some last-minute comfort food. Why not pull out some of your favourite frozen foods? Frozen French fries make for a great snack, especially if your main meal consists of roast chicken, or ribs. These quick and tasty, light and crispy French fries are the easiest meal to make, just whip up your favourite sauce to go with it, or simply grab a splash of ketchup for dipping!
All you need to do is pour out a single layer of frozen French fries in your air fryer basket and bake them at 400F for 10 to 12 minutes, or until they reach the desired level of crunchiness. Halfway through air frying, shake the basket so that the fries cook evenly.
Crispy Chicken Wings
Try making these mouth watering, drool worthy and scrumptious chicken wings. Whether you plan to make a meal out of them or just have a few to serve as a tempting appetiser, they will definitely keep you guessing for what’s to come. I mean if the appetisers are this good, the main meal is bound to be tremendous! Here’s what you’ll need for this recipe:
- 2 pounds skin-on and bone-in chicken wings, separated at the joints, wing tips discarded.
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp smoked or sweet paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- Fresh ground black pepper
- Thoroughly pat the wings dry using paper towels
- Place chicken wings in a bowl and add lemon zest, salt, paprika, garlic powder, baking powder, thyme, cayenne, and black pepper, tossing to coat
- Spray the air fryer basket with cooking oil
- Set the air fryer to 400F
- Arrange the chicken wings in the air fryer basket in a single layer with spaces in between. Try to cook them in small batches
- Then spray them with cooking oil and cook for 8 minutes
- Flip the chicken wings, spray them with cooking oil and continue to cook for 8 more minutes, or until the chicken wings are golden brown and cooked thoroughly
Crispy parmesan Chicken Tenders
These scrumptious air fried chicken parmesan tenders are tremendously crispy on the outside, with a tender interior, packed with bursts of garlicky flavours, perfect for a quick snack. Serve these with your favourite dipping sauce, Caesar salad, or French fries.
- 1 1/4 pound chicken tenders, boneless skinless
- 1/2 cup white flour
- Salt and pepper
- 6 tbsp olive oil or melted butter
- 3 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1 cup panko
- 2/3 cup parmesan cheese freshly grated
- Trim the fat from the chicken tenders. Set out 3 bowls. Fill one of them with white flour, 1/4 tsp pepper, and 1/2 tsp salt. Fill the next bowl with olive oil, minced garlic, and butter. Place the basil, panko, paprika, and parmesan cheese in the last bowl. Stir
- Drop the tenders into the flour mix, then the garlicky oil, then the panko mixture, taking care to thoroughly coat each chicken tender piece.
- Place them into the air fryer basket
- Cook at 400 degrees for 9 minutes then flip the tenders cooking for an additional 8 to 9 minutes
- Remove and enjoy them immediately, with your favourite dipping sauce
Air fried mozzarella sticks are the perfect afternoon snack. With a crunchy exterior paired with an irresistibly gooey interior, these cheesy, stretchy mozzarella sticks will have you coming back for more in no time.
- 8 mozzarella sticks
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 egg whisked
- 1 cup panko crumbs
- 1/2 tsp each: onion powder, garlic powder, smoked paprika, salt
- Unwrap the mozzarella sticks or cut them into sticks if you’re starting with a block of cheese. Set them out on a parchment paper, then pop them in the freezer for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile set up your breading station. Place flour in a resealable sandwich bag. Whisk egg in a bowl, then combine panko and seasonings in a separate shallow bowl.
- Toss the mozzarella sticks into the bag with the flour, then seal it, and shake to evenly coat the cheese. Working with one at a time, roll the mozzarella sticks in the eggs, then in the panko. Return it to the plate and freeze it for 30 more minutes.
- Spray your air fryer basket or rack with a little oil, and preheat the air fryer to 390F. Coat the mozzarella sticks in egg then panko one more time, then transfer them to the air fryer
- Cook for 6 to 8 minutes until they achieve a wonderful golden brown colour
- Serve hot with your favourite dipping sauce, and enjoy the gooey, stringy, and cheesy goodness.
Air Fryer Appetisers
There are many many fun and simple air fryer appetisers for you to try. Whether you prefer to cook them from scratch or throw in a few readily frozen bits to enjoy as a quick snack. With your favourite dipping sauce, the combination of crisp to soft textures will work as a treat.