Hey! This site is reader-supported and we earn commissions if you purchase products from retailers after clicking on a link from our site.
We all love a bit of potatoes with our thick steak, or favourite roast, especially if they’re twice baked – with the soft fluffy interior, and crispy exterior, topped with your cream cheese and your favourite seasonings they are simply irresistible. You can have them as a side or for a quick, light and tasty meal. If you’re wondering how to cook twice baked potatoes in an air fryer, then read on!
Table of Contents
- 1 What are Air Fryer Twice Baked Potatoes?
- 2 The Great Thing About This Recipe
- 3 How To Make Air Fryer Twice Baked Potatoes?
- 4 How to Make Twice Baked Potatoes in the Oven?
- 5 What To Serve With Air Fryer Twice Baked Potatoes?
- 6 Crunch Those Potatoes!
- 7 FAQs
What are Air Fryer Twice Baked Potatoes?
Twice baked potatoes are potatoes that have been baked, with the potato being scooped out and mixed with other tasty ingredients before being stuffed back into the crispy skin and baked again – giving its name. Twice baked potatoes are essentially stuffed potatoes. The potatoes are mixed with ingredients such as butter, sour cream, cheese and seasonings making the filling wonderfully fluffy and creamy.
Often things like bacon or onion are added to produce flavorings of a fully baked potato. You can get really creative with your fillings, you can have broccoli and cheese, shrimp and cream cheese, and even buffalo chicken. These twice baked air fryer potatoes, make a great side dish and can be prepared ahead of time so you just have to pop them into the air fryer to heat up when you’re ready to serve.
The Great Thing About This Recipe
Is that it’s super easy to put together, despite its heavenly deliciousness, this can be made on days that you have nothing prepared beforehand, and want to quickly improvise with the ingredients that are sat in the fridge. You just need to bake these whole potatoes until they’re ready to be halved.
Made with simple, inexpensive ingredients, you’ll most probably have all of these elements waiting in the refrigerator for you to pluck out one by one. These potatoes can even be made ahead of time, or frozen and popped straight into the air fryer. The results are incredible.
How To Make Air Fryer Twice Baked Potatoes?
Crispy potato skins stuffed to the brim with fluffy smashed potato, bacon and cheese, these air fryer twice baked potatoes are certainly a mouthful, and a delicious spin off from the traditional baked potato. Prepare them beforehand, or have them freshly baked for your evening dinner, here’s what you’ll need:
- Cooked Bacon
- Sour Cream
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Sliced Green Onions
- Ranch Seasoning
- Begin by baking the potatoes. Rub the potatoes with a bit of olive oil and sprinkle them with salt. Place them in the air fryer basket and set the air fryer to 390°F and cook the potatoes for 35 to 40 minutes until they squish a little when given a gentle squeeze. You can have this done the day before if you wish.
- Let the potatoes cool for a few minutes so they are easier to handle, then cut the potatoes in half lengthwise with a sharp knife and scoop the flesh of the potato out with a spoon leaving a tiny amount on the skin.
- Place the scooped potato into a bowl then add sour cream, butter and ranch seasoning and mix until fluffy and well blended. If the mixture feels dry try adding an extra tablespoon or two of sour cream.
- Add the cooked bacon, shredded cheese, and sliced green onion and stir to combine.
- Scoop the filling into 6 of the potato halves mounding them nice and full.
- Place the filled potatoes into the air fryer basket leaving a bit of room around them for air circulation.
- Place the basket into the air fryer and set it to 350° F. Cook the potatoes for 12 to 15 minutes until the top is bubbly and lightly golden and the skin is crisp.
- Remove from the basket and serve.
If you prefer you can use an oven, instant pot, or microwave to bake the potatoes. If your family love potatoes as much as I do, then you might want to freeze some of these bad boys, just to fish out and chuck into the air fryer for less productive evenings. Just like frozen oven roast potatoes, these twice-baked air fryer potatoes will work a treat.
How to Make Twice Baked Potatoes in the Oven?
Twice baked potatoes in an air fryer is amazing, but if you don’t own an air fryer then there are always alternatives, like oven baked potatoes. You’ll achieve the same outcome, with the same creaminess, and a delightful addition to your main meal. You’ll need:
- 4 large baking potatoes – scrubbed and dried
- 30 to 60g unsalted butter
- 85ml soured cream
- 1 spring onion, finely chopped
- Freshly grated nutmeg (optional)
- 50g shredded sharp cheddar
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
Preheat the oven to 200°C
- Place the potatoes directly on the rack in the center of the oven and bake them for 30 minutes. Pierce each potato a few times with a fork and continue to bake until they’re tender, so about 30 minutes more.
- Remove the potatoes from the oven, and turn the heat down to 190°C
- Hold the potato with an oven-mit or towel, trim off the top of the potatoes to make a canoe-like shape. Reserve the tops. Carefully scoop out the soft potato into a bowl, making sure to leave enough potato in the skin so they shells stay upright.
- Mash the potato lightly with a fork along with 30 to 45g of the butter and soured cream. Stir in the spring onion, nutmeg, and season with salt and pepper. Season the skins with salt and pepper. Refill the shells with the potato mixture mounding it slightly. Sprinkle the cheese on top of the potato filling. Brush the reserved top with the remaining butter and season with salt and pepper.
- Set the potatoes and lids on a baking tray, and bake until they’re heated through for about 20 minutes, then serve immediately.
What To Serve With Air Fryer Twice Baked Potatoes?
If you’re wondering what to serve with these delectable, scrumptious twice baked potatoes are great when served with all of your favorite main, as they pair so perfectly with so many meals. Much like mashed potatoes, they pair wonderfully with meats and vegetables. Try them with:
- Spinach Stuffed Chicken Breast
- Rosemary Garlic Steak
- Air Fryer Chicken Thighs
- Herb Crusted Rack of Lamb
Spinach Stuffed Chicken Breast
A healthy recipe, made in under 30 minutes and requires one pan to do the job. Chicken stuffed with a delicious spinach dip is a delightful main dish to have with your favorite twice baked potatoes. You can keep this dish relatively healthy (around 400 calories per breast) and still have a tantalizingly creamy dinner with ingredients like non fat cream cheese. Or you can allow the juicy, fatness of the cream cheese ooze out of the pocket of the chicken breast without a worry! You’ll need:
- 4 chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 1.5 tablespoons of canola peanut or olive oil
- 2 cups of fresh baby spinach leaves
- 1 5.2 ounce garlic-herb cheese
- 1/2 cup of dry white wine (optional)
- Cut about a 3-inch wide pocket into the thick side of each chicken breast, till you almost reach the other side. Season both sides of each breast with kosher salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Heat oil and butter in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Then turn the heat up to medium.
- Place the spinach into the skillet and sauté the spinach for about 30 seconds, enough for it to wilt but not burn. Dab the spinach on a paper towel to remove excess oil.
- In a medium bowl, mix the cheese and spinach until combined. Stuff the chicken breasts with the spinach and cheesy mixture and secure the breasts closed with a toothpick.
- Place the breasts in the hot skillet and leave for 4 minutes or until the chicken turns golden brown. Carefully turn the breasts over and cook another 3 minutes, or until its golden brown.
- Reduce the heat to low, add wine (if you wish), cover and cook for another 3 to 5 minutes or until the meat is no longer pink in the middle. A meat thermometer should read 160° F when placed in the thickest part of the meat.
Serve with your air fried twice baked potatoes for an irresistible treat.
Rosemary Garlic Steak
This steak is encased with wonderful flavorings from garlic and rosemary, then cooked and served in a tasty sherry cream sauce. Steak is one of those dishes that you’d make for a romantic evening dinner, with promising thickness, combined with a juicy and creamy finish; served with your favorite twice baked potatoes, for an impeccable meal. Here’s how to make it:
- Combine garlic, rosemary, salt and pepper, then rub the mixture into the steak
- Heat butter and oil in a skillet until it bubbles and then cook the steaks for 2 to 3 minutes on each side. Add in cooking sherry and cook the steaks for another 2 1/2 minutes on each side. Then remove the steaks from the heat and let them rest for 5 minutes.
- Add heavy cream into the skillet with the remaining sherry and let it simmer
- Serve the steaks with more rosemary and cream sauce, and fresh air fryer twice baked potatoes for a delightful finish to the brilliant edible art piece.
Air Fryer Chicken Thighs
Whilst we are on the subject of air fryers, why not create this stupendous main meal of juicy and crisp chicken thighs, rubbed in a simple spice mix, every bite taking you to heaven and back. All you need to do is coat your chicken thighs in some oil, and seasonings. Place them in an air fryer basket to cook, flipping them halfway through and then serve.
Herb Crusted Rack of Lamb
An elegant option for holidays and special occasions is this delicious herb crusted rack of lamb recipe, packed with incredible flavors, With a side of mint yogurt sauce to perfectly compliment the savory dish. Start by lining a baking tray with aluminum foil and place the lamb on it, brushing it with some oil and Dijon mustard; season with salt and pepper.
To make the crust add basil, parsley, thyme, butter, garlic, salt, Parmesan and Panko bread crumbs into a food processor. Pulse about 6-8 times until it creates a coarse mixture, where everything has combined.
Now press that mixture into the cool lamb meat, letting it sit for an hour and a half before cooking. Preheat the oven to 450° F while the lamb sits out, about 15 to 30 minutes before roasting.
Wrap the bones in foil and place the rack with the bones curving upwards. Roast the lamb for about 20 to 25 minutes, then remove the lamb from the oven, covering it with aluminium foil, and let it rest for 15 minutes.
Serve this with your favourite air fryer twice baked potatoes, for a creamy, and juicy combination of flavors.
Crunch Those Potatoes!
Crispy exterior, with the innards stuffed with your favourite combination of ingredients, that’ll make you internally squeal in excitement. Twice baked air fryer potatoes are the perfect addition to a meaty main dish, or a simple light snack/dinner whichever you fancy!
How Long Do You Heat a Twice Baked Potato?
Preheat the oven to 400°F, and place the potatoes on a lightly greased baking sheet. Bake for about 20 to 25 minutes or until completely heated through.
How Long Do You Cook Kroger Twice Baked Potatoes?
Preheat the oven to 350°F, and place the potato halves on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake for 30 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees.
How Do I Bake a Potato More Than Once?
The best way to reheat a baked potato is in the oven, which will help prevent the potatoes from drying out. Preheat the oven to 350°F and take the potatoes out of the fridge so they reach room temperature. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes.